Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

News Article with Details Regarding a Certain "Frosty", a Certain "Rudolph", and a Certain "Freeform"

Mario500

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't get what's so surprising about this? Freeform is going to air Christmas specials at Christmastime.  That doesn't seem unusual... 

I had believed the "Frosty" and "Rudolph" referenced in the article were never broadcast by a cable TV or satellite TV programming service based among the United States before the calendar year 2019.

Just now, Mario500 said:

I had believed the "Frosty" and "Rudolph" referenced in the article were never broadcast by a cable TV or satellite TV programming service based among the United States before the calendar year 2019.

Oh okay.  That makes sense.  I wasn't aware that any network had a monopoly on airing these specials.  I occasionally watch 'Frosty' at Christmastime, but never watch the Rankin-Bass ones. I do not enjoy watching those specials.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Oh okay.  That makes sense.  I wasn't aware that any network had a monopoly on airing these specials.  I occasionally watch 'Frosty' at Christmastime, but never watch the Rankin-Bass ones. I do not enjoy watching those specials.

:huh:

If you're talking about the old '69 release of the JACKIE VERNON voiced "Frosty", it too, was a Rankin-Bass production.  And those, along with other old Christmastime animated specials still get shown on the older, established networks( ABC, NBC, CBS...) with some too, getting airtime on some cable outlets. 

But yeah, Rankin-Bass Christmas "specials" have often come under fire from critics for their storylines being more about GETTING GIFTS instead of the more "giving than receiving"  or "love and brotherhood" messages other specials tried delivering.

Sepiatone 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:huh:

If you're talking about the old '69 release of the JACKIE VERNON voiced "Frosty", it too, was a Rankin-Bass production.  And those, along with other old Christmastime animated specials still get shown on the older, established networks( ABC, NBC, CBS...) with some too, getting airtime on some cable outlets. 

But yeah, Rankin-Bass Christmas "specials" have often come under fire from critics for their storylines being more about GETTING GIFTS instead of the more "giving than receiving"  or "love and brotherhood" messages other specials tried delivering.

Sepiatone 

I wasn't aware that Rankin-Bass made the "Frosty" special as well.  I really dislike the Rudolph, Little Drummer Boy, etc. because I don't like the animation style. 

55 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I wasn't aware that Rankin-Bass made the "Frosty" special as well.  I really dislike the Rudolph, Little Drummer Boy, etc. because I don't like the animation style. 

I always disliked the animation and the unfunny humor too. I always despised seeing those specials on during the holidays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No "claymation" fans here, eh?   

So it appears the stories' messages of tolerance and not judging people by WHAT they are instead of WHAT THEY'RE LIKE fell on absent grey matter.....  ;) 

Not funny?  Well they weren't funny at all mostly.  But something ELSE they weren't...........

...were COMEDIES!!  :rolleyes:  (D'OH!  :D

Sepiatone

Great memories from all those specials. (I only recently learned some people would get a sadistic kick from laughing at the elves at the end of "Rudolph" tossing out of the sky-high sleigh the misfit bird that can't fly.) Looking back, I would have also liked a network giving the same respect to "Mad Monster Party" as a Halloween special each year. It's been largely out of circulation over my lifetime.

This is the perfect opportunity to mention something I figured out about "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" a few years back, which I'm not sure is on record anywhere: As we all know, the villainous Burgermeister Meisterburger was voiced by the great Paul Frees (pictured below), the legendary voice actor who was also Boris Badenov in "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" and did other Rankin/Bass productions including the "Frosty" specials and the second "Rudolph" one, but not the original.

220px-TR-PaulFrees.jpg.f3c136443f211f6a16d3a6c9f2b16038.jpg 

But since in the "Santa" special Kris Kringle is made to look like the young Mickey Rooney who voices him, and the postman is made to look like Fred Astaire who voices him, it dawned on me that the Burgermeister Meisterburger, as pictured here ...

Image result for burgermeister meisterburger

must have been originally intended to be played by the actor who voiced Yukon Cornelius in "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," character actor Larry D. Mann (pictured here)

image.jpeg.92da09902e0a768b92989ade215df08e.jpeg

Does anyone concur? So ends my "Columbo" moment (which by the way was one of the shows I knew Mr. Mann from, in the Louis Jourdan episode "Murder Under Glass"). Nuff said.

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

The Burgermeister/Mann resemblace is funny.  Too.....

My oldest brother in law STAN( now 82), tried a few years ago, to wear one of those "spiked up" haircuts ( you know, intentionally made to look "unkempt".)  It was then, due to his resemblance, due to the haircut and his facial features, that me and another brother in law started calling him "Heat Miser"!  :D 

Imagine this guy with white hair!  ;) 

On 5/17/2019 at 7:17 AM, Sepiatone said:

No "claymation" fans here, eh?   

So it appears the stories' messages of tolerance and not judging people by WHAT they are instead of WHAT THEY'RE LIKE fell on absent grey matter.....  ;) 

Not funny?  Well they weren't funny at all mostly.  But something ELSE they weren't...........

...were COMEDIES!!  :rolleyes:  (D'OH!  :D

Sepiatone

I had always liked certain movies often described in "claymation" in years past (note: not all of them had involved clay).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings