Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies-n-Marijuana?

JeanneCrain

Marijuana and music have long been partners, each enhancing the experience of each other…but what about marijuana and movies?

Recent airing of “The Trial” (1962) was a hoot – oblivious to the plot/story, hypnotized by the cinematography and couldn’t stop laughing at Josef K and all the surrounding lunacy.

The Orange Daiquiri effect? 💋

And the results of your experiments? 👀

2 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

Recent airing of “The Trial” (1962) was a hoot – oblivious to the plot/story, hypnotized by the cinematography and couldn’t stop laughing at Josef K and all the surrounding lunacy.

Now, if you try watching it sober, you can appreciate Orson Welles's dreamlike David Lynch imitation, trying to recreate a nighttime REM style in the idea that Kafka's allegories could only take place "in a dream".  And then the B/W opening with the agent bursting into Tony Perkins' bedroom, and never quite answering his questions, can freak you out.

Marijuana encourages passivity, and the idea of giggling at something without having to think too hard about it...And thinking about it is EXACTLY what classic film challenges you to do.  Come to think about it, that's exactly what adulthood asks you to do.  Without it, there's the passive-bystander aspect of "Huhuh, sucks to be Josef K, dood..."--the same way a child lets the dumb grownups take care of all the "boring stuff" that he doesn't have to--and the general approach to interaction with our complex world that that encourages.

Under the right altered circumstances, the Weather Channel could be a giggling hoot, but that's no fault or credit to the show itself.

Based on personal experience,  things like ANIMATED movies.  Y'know....Disney's fare, my favorites being......

PINOCCHIO, the "Pink Elephants On Parade" segment of DUMBO, and especially FANTASIA!  ;) 

SCI-FI works too.  Saw STAR WARS first time under the influence of some very nice "Chiba-Chiba"  ;) 

LAUREL & HARDY, MARX BROTHERS and several other SILENT COMEDIES are HI-LARIOUS when in the grips of Mary Jane.  As well as the "classic" horror flicks like KING KONG, DRACULA or FRANKENSTEIN.  You REALLY appreciate that well done early '30's black and white imagery then!  :)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Movies and marijuana are merely devices for our entertainment, perhaps like sporting events and gambling one has a different perception taking in a movie stoned or watching a game holding wager upon its outcome...marijuana/gambling can seemingly “enhance” our entertainment experiences.

Americans have long been accommodated with wagering when attending horse races…why not football games, tennis-matches, etc.? (The wave of the future?)

Americans have a long history of being stoned when attending concerts, just like those performing them…why not movies - imagine marijuana sales at theatres, enhanced viewer participation along with concession sales? (The wave of the future?)

What about the “perception” of the viewer? Is the viewer’s potentially altered perception a consideration of a movie production…is it ever encouraged or accommodated?

How does sobriety ever find meaning in abstract art or the cinematography of an Orson Welles?

The “it’s always a happy ending mandate” of Hollywood has been out of touch with the sobriety of reality …therefore, what kind of perception should Hollywood’s audience possess?

I’ve watched “The Trial” (1962) sober and stoned…and stoned was much more enjoyable…laughing right along with Josef’s final scene. 💋

I recall indulging just before watching The Wizard of Oz in a college movie theater. A little

weird, but since I had seen it numerous times on TV I really didn't mind missing the details

of the film. If I only had a joint.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, JeanneCrain said:

I’ve watched “The Trial” (1962) sober and stoned…and stoned was much more enjoyable…laughing right along with Josef’s final scene. 💋

In other words, everything looks different and more entertaining when you're brain-damaged...Well, it would certainly be hard to argue that point.  :D

But, let's break down the basic classic Hyper-Defensive arguments here:

1) We've got the never-fail Stoner's Whataboutism ("What about all that drinking Ray Milland did in Lost Weekend, that was legal!"):

Movies and marijuana are merely devices for our entertainment, perhaps like sporting events and gambling one has a different perception taking in a movie stoned or watching a game holding wager upon its outcome...Americans have long been accommodated with wagering when attending horse races…why not football games, tennis-matches, etc.? (The wave of the future?)

2) "It's POPULAR, isn't it?  It's been around since the 20's!"

Americans have a long history of being stoned when attending concerts, just like those performing them

3) "It'll be okay, once everybody starts turning it into a billion-dollar business!"

imagine marijuana sales at theatres, enhanced viewer participation along with concession sales? (The wave of the future?)

4) And the classic High-school-virgin Abstract-Philosophical "What is 'right' and what is 'wrong'?...Isn't it all relative?" attempt to move the fault off of themselves.

How does sobriety ever find meaning in abstract art or the cinematography of an Orson Welles?

The “it’s always a happy ending mandate” of Hollywood has been out of touch with the sobriety of reality …therefore, what kind of perception should Hollywood’s audience possess?

5)...(wait, what, no kitschy 1936 piano-playing clip from Reefer Madness to straw-man all "unreasonable" arguments against it?  C'mon, you're breaking tradition, here! ;) )

Let's face brass-facts:  You were giggling like an aging high-schooler, at a movie you chose not to understand, for reasons that an underachieving high-schooler wouldn't.  That's not often a smart idea in our complex world, where most of us have graduated by now and been through college...Except, of course, for the ones who weren't.

There's enough NATURAL stupidity and passive-uncuriosity causing problems in the world already, do we need to create more of it through artificial means?  Do smart people need to be made stupid because they think too much?

16 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

has anyone ever seen a film (probably an early one) in which someone refers to a "muggle" or "muggles"? An early name for a joint.

(Reportedly, that's why JK Rowling's five two Fantastic Beasts movies decided to refer to American non-wizards as "NoMags", rather than the more familiar British title.  Although they claimed the M-word was also a racial slur in some parts of the States.)

• Like 1

Harry Shapiro wrote an excellent book "Shooting Stars-Drugs, Hollywood & The Movies"  with an entire chapter on Marijuana both in front & behind the scenes.

NPR has been running a series on 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY '68. Last week's segment was all about how the movie gained popularity with college age kids smoking in the theater.

Remember smoking in a theater?

I certainly lit spliff in the mid 70's for midnight showings of 3 Stooges Marathons in my college years. Seems kind of like a rite of passage, with the movie changing for different generations, Rocky Horror, for example.

38 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I certainly lit spliff in the mid 70's for midnight showings of 3 Stooges Marathons in my college years. Seems kind of like a rite of passage, with the movie changing for different generations, Rocky Horror, for example.

If you have to light up to get a fun showing out of Rocky Horror, you're just not in on the joke--As the guy said in "Fame", this (audience) IS the show, and if you don't like it, go see it in Jersey.  B)

(One could easily say that about the Stooges as well.  But if you were seeing midnight Stooge-fests in the 70's, I'm guessing it was the same Public Domain Five, with four of them Shemp shorts...Would I be right in guessing a big General Cinemas theater?)

Hmmm.....

I recall going to a film society's presentaion of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY at Detroit's Summit theater,, the city's only CINERAMA theater before it was razed. No marijuana for this one....  ;)

But, the MESCALINE certainly helped that alleged "pseudo-cinarama" effect!  ;)

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, EricJ said:

Would I be right in guessing a big General Cinemas theater?)

WRONG! I don't attend movies at big theater chains except once when winning free tickets to a LOTR movie. An awful experience.

All my theater experience have been in small independent neighborhood theaters -EVEN Rocky Horror- when we'd actually just enjoy the movie without the lame teenage amateur theatrics. Even when joining my reviewer friend at a MegaPlex it was always a small, private screening room.

And I don't think I've ever watched 2001 with ganja-certainly NOT in the theater! (I was either too young or too old, haha) But I certainly remember when you could smoke in a theater.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

WRONG! I don't attend movies at big theater chains except once when winning free tickets to a LOTR movie. An awful experience.

Sorry, I just remember the late-70's days when GC was one of the only one or two big 'plex chains in the country, wanted to cash in the new "Midnight movie!" craze that was just starting to get public attention with Eraserhead, Dawn of the Dead, Richard Pryor: Live and the Rocky Horror cult in the downtown city theaters, and tried sponsoring their own "culty" midnight movies at the shopping-mall plexes.  

Until we started noticing their "midnight movie fests!" were the exact same four cheapo-PD movies over and over again:  Night of the Living Dead, A Boy & His Dog, Reefer Madness, and a "Stooge festival" which was likely to contain Malice at the Palace and Disorder in the Court.  (There was also briefly a midnight Little Rascals festival, "uncensored, with all the racism intact!", but that didn't last as long as the Uncensored Stooges.)

Midnight movies are an exclusive right of local independent theaters:  I remember never being able to go to one for all my high school years (no train home from the big city), until I found a first apartment literally around the corner from the local college-arthouse before it closed, and could walk home from October screenings of "Haxan" and "Horror Express" (also PD).  And it proved, like your parents always said, if you need drugs to have a good time with your friends, that says a lot about your parties.  B)

6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

There...Now the hyperdefensive pro-stoner tantrums are getting back to normal again!  Wondered what'd happened to it.    :D

(For comparison:  Suppose I wanted to defend "Avengers: Endgame" against haters by digging up a Frederick Wertham PTA film from 1954 warning parents about the dangers of comic books causing juvenile delinquency...Yeah.  That wouldn't look any less desperate either.)

Ok, now, if this is supposed to be concerning marijuana IN movies( one way or another), then HOPE and CROSBY'S ROAD TO MOROCCO has a scene I mentioned in these forums before.

While sneaking around Sheik Kasim's massive tent network, come upon a group of four or five guys sitting around a small table rolling what appears to be cigarettes and Hope asks, "What are these guys doin', making REEFERS?"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings