Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Female Gaze

spauldingd

With my purchase of a new Kindle I received a free 3 month subscription to Amazon Kindle Unlimited which gives you free access to books you have mostly never heard of. Some good stuff, but I’m glad I’m not paying for it. One that I would recommend is The Female Gaze by TCM presenter Alicia Malone. The book is a mixture of her writing and others regarding 52 films made by women. I’ve learned quite a few things about some of my favorite films and have a few more I need to catch up with. I think Alicia does a good job of spotlighting these film makers as well as giving space for other authors to share their thoughts.

Alicia’s writing reminds me of Roger Ebert. His humanity, empathy and love of film were always easy to see when he spoke about a film that moved him. He wasn’t an academic but I don’t think anyone knew more about film or loved them more. I see these same things in Alicia and am always impressed when she talks film. For someone so young, you can tell she has immersed herself in movies her whole life.

Anyway, if you have Kindle Unlimited, it’s free! But worth the price even if you don’t.

https://www.amazon.com/Female-Gaze-Essential-Movies-Women-ebook/dp/B07CXWFD8F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by spauldingd
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings