Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

72 hour Memorial day marathon neutered to 1 day?


pollock56th
 Share

Recommended Posts

The reason is because they are also doing two monthly spotlights. One in May on the WWII Homefront and one in June on WWII Combat. So instead of 72 hours, you are actually getting quite a few more hours spread out over two full months.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mr6666 said:

WWII in the Movies: Thursdays in May & June....

"This year, TCM honors the 75th anniversary of D-Day with Never Surrender: WWII in the Movies, a two-month salute featuring films from and about the era.........

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1483892|0/WWII-in-the-Movies-The-Homefront-Thursdays-in-May.html

-isn't that enough?

I agree...it's more than enough. Clearly the OP was panicking without looking at the entire schedule for May and June.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess I am in the minority then the point is all the movies I watched as a kid shown back to back in one weekend. I may be a nube to the forum board but I am not to TCM. Its all about traditions as well I can count at least 10 years it was a 72 hour marathon. I loved the intros by Robert Osbourne and Bens are pretty good too. Its all about the timing as well.  With the "I can stream anything now" technology television events lose a feeling.

My children are older now but we made events and put time aside to watch Christmas specials like A Charlie Brown Christmas live on CBS even when amazon and 711 stores sold the dvd.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/983513|983524/72-Hour-Memorial-Day-Marathon.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Did I ever tell you about the time that I bought a cable package just to watch TCM and it was a week before Memorial Day?

 

 

And I got mine back during 31 Days of Oscar. Oh well, still picked up on 5 films I hadn't seen before that point. And then I went gung ho.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

pollock56 i agree with you, they needed more war movies for the weekend, and there are a lot of great movies that never get shown. Here is one if anyone wants to watch, it's what happens in the Soviet Union when a feminist stands up to the government. Technically its not a war movie, but it shows what they did to their own citizens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Did I ever tell you about the time that I bought a cable package just to watch TCM and it was a week before Memorial Day?

 

 

Ha! I bought the cable package just to watch TCM and the first thing I saw was Elvis Day!! Made me crazy.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the old patriotic glorified B&W war movies over the sentimental anti war movies that they have programmed. I will drag my knuckles across the floor to fetch a beer while you can all sip wine and critique the depth of the movies slated in its place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pollock56th said:

I guess I am in the minority then the point is all the movies I watched as a kid shown back to back in one weekend. I may be a nube to the forum board but I am not to TCM. Its all about traditions as well I can count at least 10 years it was a 72 hour marathon. I loved the intros by Robert Osbourne and Bens are pretty good too. Its all about the timing as well.  With the "I can stream anything now" technology television events lose a feeling.

My children are older now but we made events and put time aside to watch Christmas specials like A Charlie Brown Christmas live on CBS even when amazon and 711 stores sold the dvd.

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/983513|983524/72-Hour-Memorial-Day-Marathon.html

 

I think you're over-dramatizing the traditions part. Life is about change. TCM is allowed to change things up every once in awhile. You are still getting more war films this year, over two months, than you've ever had before on TCM. Instead of finding something to complain about, try a little bit of gratitude. Just saying!

If they were not showing any war films on Memorial Day, then you'd have a more legitimate gripe. But that's not the case. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Could have been even worse. A Mac and Me and Garbage Pail Kids double feature. *clasps at neck*

Yeah or Maitresse shown twice in a row. :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem is we're running out of new wars to make movies about. WWII, Korea,

Vietnam. Been there, done that. Afghanistan, Iraq. Boring. Got to come up with

something big that can extend the cinematic war franchise beyond 24 hours.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, pollock56th said:

I prefer the old patriotic glorified B&W war movies over the sentimental anti war movies that they have programmed. I will drag my knuckles across the floor to fetch a beer while you can all sip wine and critique the depth of the movies slated in its place.

oh, you mean like all quiet on the western front (1930), and the big parade (1925), and the bridge on the river kwai  (1957), and paths of glory (1957).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The reason is because they are also doing two monthly spotlights. One in May on the WWII Homefront and one in June on WWII Combat. So instead of 72 hours, you are actually getting quite a few more hours spread out over two full months.

As usual you have market cornered pal

 

(HELP NEED ON 2 FRONTS: Think I already asked you, not certain if it was you, but posted to either you Jakeem, LawrenceA,  I've been on tcm's forums since 2000/2001-(under another handle) & have had a problem after hitting the below button about getting replies until almost a year ago, now no matter what I do NADA shows up in my inbox about this, any suggestions?)

 

2nd one for some reason I could never conquer here& used to have a 164 IQ-(too many shots to the head, among other things ever since though)  GETTING AN AVATAR placed on my profile!  I had a few selected from other sites the net, but got frustrated & eventually deleted them    ANY SUGGESTIONS HER BUDDY AS WELL?  thanx 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think you're over-dramatizing the traditions part. Life is about change. TCM is allowed to change things up every once in awhile. You are still getting more war films this year, over two months, than you've ever had before on TCM. Instead of finding something to complain about, try a little bit of gratitude. Just saying!

If they were not showing any war films on Memorial Day, then you'd have a more legitimate gripe. But that's not the case. 

Again to TopBilled, over 18yrs I used to write/[ppst of the greatest over WAR FILMS in history-(top5-10) & devide them up into separate wars, as they should be  As you of all know HOLLYWOOD make lots more of WW2 then any other & that won't change, no others can get close.

Are you gonna' compile somewhat OF A LIST???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Problem is we're running out of new wars to make movies about. WWII, Korea,

Vietnam. Been there, done that. Afghanistan, Iraq. Boring. Got to come up with

something big that can extend the cinematic war franchise beyond 24 hours.

0N THE ACTUAL VIETNAM WAR-(1964-65) MY DAD FRANCIS SHANNON III-(944-2012)-(I'm the IV IRISH WITH THAT SHANNON NAME) AMAZINGLY WAS KILLED IN A NORMAL YET NASTY CAR CRASH IN 2012 AT JUST AGE 67, BUT VOLUNTEERED IN TH MARINE C0RPS IN '65, BEFORE THINGS GOT REALLY HOT OVER THERE stats ALWAYS SAY THE YRS U.S.. SOLDIERS WERE ILLED THE MOST WERE FROM 1967, 68-(THE WORST CASUALTIES & THE YEAR 0F TET OFFENSIVE OF COURSE) & 1969 (58 THOUSAND AMERICANS DIED IN THAT WAR, COMPARED TO IRAQ JUST 4 THOUSAND, NOT INCLUDING AFGHANISTAN THOUGH NOW FOR THE WAR THE END ALL WARS, FOR NOW AYWAY? OVER 60M TOTAL KILLED IN WW11-(1941-45) HOLOCAUST 6M. To Vautrin, given my father,etc & if I could no it over again I without pause woulda' enlisted in the NAVY  Mainly because I love the Sea & again Vautrin, in no way shape nor form are we running out of wars to make  Look at this post & what I just write to TOPBILLED & how I used to break each war down going to THE Revolutionary war & onward.  Have you already seen the bulk of WW2 cinema, Civil war, Revolutionary-(agreed, Hollywood by no means has covered it as much as others), WW1, Korea-(again, given it lasted pt is from only (50-53) always a running joke with tv;s M*A*S*H because it ran for 11yrs vs 3?) & am positive Vietnam has been covered only after WW2 cinema & ON IRAQ/AFGANISTAN WAS JUST REWATCHING A VERY GOOD MOVIE THAT  TOMMY LEE LONES EARNED ONE OF HIS 4TD NOMS & FIRST FOR LEADING ACTOR> IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH (***1./2) ($17M. GROSS) & IT MADE ME REMBER ABOUIT 1/2 A DOZEN RELEASES COVERED IRAQ/ALFGHANISTAN-(THE LATTER WAR BROKE VIETNAM'S 11YRS BECASE U.S TROOPS ARE STILL FIHTING IN ADGHANISTAN APPROX 17YRS SO FAR!  BUT CHECK OUT IF YOU LIKE THE OTHERS CIVERING THIS STILL CURRENT WAR, MOST ARE EITHER VERY GOOD OR GREAT IN TERMS OF THE OSCAR SWEEPING 09 HURT LOCKER (WHICH CURRENTLY HOLDS RECORD FOR LOWESTbp OSCAR WINER AT ONLY $17M. IN TICKETS)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Could have been even worse. A Mac and Me and Garbage Pail Kids double feature. *clasps at neck*

ONE OF CINEMAS ALL-TIME GRANEST FINALES IN  MODERN TIMES  ALL SET TO CHAPLIN'S CREATION WITH THE LYRICS THOUGH  SMILE    KUDOS!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, spence said:

Again to TopBilled, over 18yrs I used to write/[ppst of the greatest over WAR FILMS in history-(top5-10) & devide them up into separate wars, as they should be  As you of all know HOLLYWOOD make lots more of WW2 then any other & that won't change, no others can get close.

Are you gonna' compile somewhat OF A LIST???

Probably not spence. At least not now. Maybe later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Problem is we're running out of new wars to make movies about. WWII, Korea,

Vietnam. Been there, done that. Afghanistan, Iraq. Boring. Got to come up with

something big that can extend the cinematic war franchise beyond 24 hours.

I'm sure DUMP is working on it!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...