Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

Another Memorial Day and NO movies about Vietnam War

I know this is my annual complaint, but you would still think TCM could do better.  Apparently this year they are ignoring all wars except WW  II.

• Sad 2

It's long past time that some Vietnam films be added to the mix. We've delved into this issue in the past a few times, and there a few reasons that we've guessed worked against showing films about more recent conflicts: few of them are from the "classic era", many of them have a lot of graphic violence and salty language, and they may be more expensive to acquire the rights to. None of these things matter to me personally, but I can see why they may play a factor in the channel's decisions. 

I would add Korean conflict films as well (there are a lot more than I thought there were, as I've seen many recently), and one or two from the recent Afghanistan and Iraq conflicts, even if it were only one or two films late at night.

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, MovieMadness said:

Maybe enough people didn't die in that one.

One reason for lower numbers of deaths, other than sheer numbers involved, is the dramatic improvements in saving lives on the battlefield.  You have all seen episodes of M*A*S*H where the helicopter comes in, but Vietnam was were the technology really became dramatic.  Not only were the helicopters and brave pilots there to get the wounded to field hospitals, jets were there to take them to more advanced hospitals in Japan and elsewhere.  In Iraq and Afghanistan they were medevaced to US hospitals Germany because of our membership in NATO.

Each war has fewer and fewer deaths as a percentage of those in combat.  But, a far larger number of wounded and disabled.  That is one of the reasons why the VA is under increasing pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aren't there already threads on this subject? Why must we have a new thread about this seemingly every year?

Don't get me wrong...I can see the OP's point of view. But I would not just harp about including films on Vietnam. There could be films on more recent wars too. And not just films that show the Americans side of things. This whole issue could be explored from multiple perspectives covering a wider range of history.

• Like 2

The only Vietnam war films that TCM usually shows are the Deer Hunter and occasionally Good Morning, Vietnam

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

And not just films that show the Americans side of things. This whole issue could be explored from multiple perspectives covering a wider range of history.

Yeah, they could show From 5 PM to 5 AM. That one is on YouTube with English subtitles and I assume it is public domain (probably).

from_5pm_to_5am-cg03990522-55-191.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Aren't there already threads on this subject? Why must we have a new thread about this seemingly every year?

Don't get me wrong...I can see the OP's point of view. But I would not just harp about including films on Vietnam. There could be films on more recent wars too. And not just films that show the Americans side of things. This whole issue could be explored from multiple perspectives covering a wider range of history.

There is one thread about reducing the Memorial Day movies to one day rather than the usual 72 hours.  Not the same thing.  I did create this topic a few years ago, but I hate to revive threads that essentially ended 11 months ago.  Also, I can't find old threads using the TCM Forum search features.

I agree other movies should be shown, but the lack of movies about Vietnam War on Memorial Day is a long standing one at TCM.  Especially considering how many there are.  But you are correct that this year other wars have been neglected as well and some in the past a well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

There is one thread about reducing the Memorial Day movies to one day rather than the usual 72 hours.  Not the same thing.  I did create this topic a few years ago, but I have to revive threads that essentially ended 11 months ago.  Also, I can't find old threads using the TCM Forum search features.

Okay, thanks for explaining. Yes, I do recall your creating a thread about Vietnam War films last year or maybe it was the year before. I know it has been discussed at length.

This discussion on another forum may shed some light about the lack of Vietnam programming interest.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/71823/why-are-there-so-few-movies-about-the-vietnam-war-itself

Newsmax has aired "The Ghosts of My Lai," several times. 

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/vietnam-war-army-my-lai-us/2015/05/27/id/647016/

In short, the TCM programmers knows there will be less viewers watching anything about that most hated war.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I was wondering if they have ever shown a film like " All Quiet on the Western Front "?

7 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I was wondering if they have ever shown a film like " All Quiet on the Western Front "?

The 1930 version they often show during 31 Days of Oscar in February. I don't think they've ever shown the 1979 remake.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

This discussion on another forum may shed some light about the lack of Vietnam programming interest.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/71823/why-are-there-so-few-movies-about-the-vietnam-war-itself

https://www.newsmax.com/newsmax-tv/vietnam-war-army-my-lai-us/2015/05/27/id/647016/

In short, the TCM programmers knows there will be less viewers watching anything about that most hated war.

Thanks for the links here, ham. Some good reads there, I thought.

The first one above brought me to someone who asked the following question:

"It seems like all Vietnam war movies are either about individual characters in some abstract Vietnam war setting or individual battles/incidents. There are no movies that cover the history and progression of the war itself from start to finish that I can think of. Even documentary films, there just doesn't seem to be much interest in what happened in the war. This seems to be unique to Vietnam. Why is this?"

That's when I noticed it had been asked over two years ago by that someone, and so which then explained to me why the person evidently hadn't seen nor heard of the fairly recent Ken Burns documentary series that PBS first broadcast in September of 2017. 

And because I found Mr. Burns' Vietnam War documentary series, and as I have found ALL of his documentaries, to be as insightful, as circumspect and as definitive on the subjects he has chosen to cover and examine as any documentarian who has ever existed.

(...now, if only Mr. Burns would lose that outdated Beatles haircut with those bangs) ;)

• Thanks 1

Maybe the issue is that most war films on TCM emphasize the valor of war, and most of the Vietnam films were anti-war films (Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Coming Home, The Deer Hunter to name just a few). It would get pretty tiring to show The Green Berets year after year.

• Like 1

"In Country" with Bruce Willis and Emily Lloyd (1989) is a film I really liked about the aftermath of the Vietnam War on soldiers and family;  particularly the final scenes at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

"In Country" with Bruce Willis and Emily Lloyd (1989) is a film I really liked about the aftermath of the Vietnam War on soldiers and family;  particularly the final scenes at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.

That was one of several good Vietnam vet films from that time. Distant Thunder (1988) with John Lithgow and Ralph Macchio, and Jacknife (1989) with Robert De Niro, Ed Harris and Kathy Baker, are two others.

220px-Distant_Thunder_(1988_American_fil  220px-Jacknife_1989_film.jpg

I think they may be better suited to Veteran's Day than Memorial Day, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

While the WW  II movies may be more popular since they seldom dealt with controversial subjects and almost always portrayed American soldiers in a positive light, there would still be many people who would view Vietnam War movies.

If fewer viewers were a criteria, TCM would have to cancel about 50% of its programming.  TCM is here to expand viewers exposure to movies or at least offer them the opportunity.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, RoyCronin said:

YES! Honestly its one of my favorite films from 1989 and it is so very underrated. Such a tender and moving film with a wonderful ending. Also captures the rhythms of small town life perfectly.

4 hours ago, hamradio said:

I just checked both of these sites.  They are either outright wrong or misleading at the least.  There have been a tremendous number of movies about Vietnam War.  I think it was maybe 65 last time I checked and that was a couple of years ago.

As for lack of documentaries, no they has not been as many as have been done on WW II.  But then again there have been dozens and probably more of which I am not aware.  I have seen them in lots of DVD catalogs and on websites.

As for My Lai, that was a terrible incident and there should have far more punishments rendered.  But that was only one aspect of the war.  One aspect of Vietnam and later wars is the lack of censorship of the media, reporters, writers, mail, etc.  During Korea and WW II, mail was censored and the media essentially worked for the military or they were sent home.

Vietnam War was on TV news every night.  First war ever so covered.

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Once in a great while......

1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

Whatever happened to Emily Lloyd?? She had such a promising start then flew off the radar quickly.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Whatever happened to Emily Lloyd?? She had such a promising start then flew off the radar quickly.

Well she made films for a while after this...she has a good role in A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (1992).

I know, she was around for a few years than seemed to vanish. I was expecting big things from her due to her debut. Her career seemed to go downhill when she was fired from some Woody Allen movie (forget which one).

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

It seems she may have gotten a rep for being "difficult" after being replaced on Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives, and then quitting/being fired from Tank Girl (1994), which was a big production, even if it's largely forgotten now.

I also read this, which may explain things a bit:

Stated in 2009 interview that she had also been diagnosed with mild schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder, Tourette's syndrome and chronic insomnia.

• Like 1