Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheCid

Another Memorial Day and NO movies about Vietnam War

On 5/26/2019 at 7:08 PM, TopBilled said:

Right. People are throwing a hissy fit because they can't/won't adapt to TCM changing it up a bit.

So...that's what we call it huh? A "hissy fit". Because you don't agree let's just start the insults. I don't believe Robert would approve of the tone. I believe that he would want us to respect each others opinion a bit more than that.

So I really enjoyed the four days of war movie marathon. What is so wrong with THAT? "changing it up...."a bit"". More like a LOT. I enjoyed looking forward to the four days, I;d even write out the times for my favorites. It was a ritual....gone. I think it's perfectly fine to be disappointed about it.

Oh excuse me...have a "hissy fit" about it.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, sewhite2000 said:

This thread is almost making me too tired to comment, but I feel compelled to echo what multiple posters have already said on here ... that TCM is actually showing MORE war movies this year because of the 75th anniversary of D-Day. They're just spread out over two whole months rather than crammed into one weekend. I can't fathom why this programming change should upset anyone so much.

So..because you "can't fathom it" it certainly is insanity, right?

I will tell you why. First off...Memorial Day is incredibly important...to ME...at least. And the weekend marathon took all my attention for 3+ straight days. Like a retreat. I would have it on pretty much the whole weekend....like Christmas music in the background...or sometime my utmost rapt attention. Not spread out over two months that can be hit or miss..... But bam bam in a row like unrelenting AA fire.

I get it..some people aren't war movie buffs. Seen it...same old same old. Me? I oculd watch them a million times...and remember and help celebrate the sacrifice that is Memorial Day. I always relied on TCM to bring it, to put me through the ringer like a battle siege. Like I said, I don't see anything wrong with lamenting it's passing. It meant a lot to me.

1 minute ago, tcmsteven said:

So..because you "can't fathom it" it certainly is insanity, right?

I will tell you why. First off...Memorial Day is incredibly important...to ME...at least. And the weekend marathon took all my attention for 3+ straight days. Like a retreat. I would have it on pretty much the whole weekend....like Christmas music in the background...or sometime my utmost rapt attention. Not spread out over two months that can be hit or miss..... But bam bam in a row like unrelenting AA fire.

I get it..some people aren't war movie buffs. Seen it...same old same old. Me? I oculd watch them a million times...and remember and help celebrate the sacrifice that is Memorial Day. I always relied on TCM to bring it, to put me through the ringer like a battle siege. Like I said, I don't see anything wrong with lamenting it's passing. It meant a lot to me.

This thread is about the lack of Vietnam War related movies on TCM during Memorial Day presentations.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tcmsteven said:

So...that's what we call it huh? A "hissy fit". Because you don't agree let's just start the insults. I don't believe Robert would approve of the tone. I believe that he would want us to respect each others opinion a bit more than that.

So I really enjoyed the four days of war movie marathon. What is so wrong with THAT? "changing it up...."a bit"". More like a LOT. I enjoyed looking forward to the four days, I;d even write out the times for my favorites. It was a ritual....gone. I think it's perfectly fine to be disappointed about it.

Oh excuse me...have a "hissy fit" about it.

Seems a bit humorous to me to invoke a dead man's name to argue with a fellow poster. Let the man rest in peace.

The phrase hissy fit is more hyperbole. The fact you're taking it personally is bewildering. 

I still think it's over the top for people to bemoan the loss of a ritual, when all TCM programmers were trying to do was change things up a bit. For all we know, they could go back to the old way of programming Memorial Day Weekend next year.

As I said before, I welcomed the change. Some of us were tired of four days in a row of war films (Friday to Monday). Our government recognizes it as Memorial DAY not Memorial WEEKEND.

Also, I appreciated TCM's programmers getting away from films this year that condoned mass killing and was glad they put more films in that were anti-war. To me, that's progress!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheCid said:

This thread is about the lack of Vietnam War related movies on TCM during Memorial Day presentations.

Right...he's going off on a tangent. His anger seems misdirected.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

There are certainly other channels that show the same war movies TCM has (and in much more frequent rotation) too. It's not the end of the world.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

There are certainly other channels that show the same war movies TCM has (and in much more frequent rotation) too. It's not the end of the world.

Exactly. Some of these people are trying to keep TCM a certain way in their minds. But the reality is that the channel is evolving. And like I said, they could go back to doing a whole weekend of war films next year.

• Like 1

This is TCM. It's a channel that tends to attract those who are resistant to change. Not everyone, or even most of them, but enough so that this kind of complaint isn't entirely unexpected. 

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

This is TCM. It's a channel that tends to attract those who are resistant to change. Not everyone, or even most of them, but enough so that this kind of complaint isn't entirely unexpected. 

Of course you're right. But most of these people should know that TCM is NOT a conservative channel. It likes to change with the times. It's a very progressive channel.

5 hours ago, tcmsteven said:

I will tell you why. First off...Memorial Day is incredibly important...to ME...at least. And the weekend marathon took all my attention for 3+ straight days

TCM showed THIRTY war movies on Thursdays in May! You could have planned ahead, recorded some of those earlier in the month and still had your marathon. I'm sorry you didn't get to have them spoon-fed to you without you having to do anything but hit the on button on your TV, as you've been accustomed to in previous years, but with the tiniest bit of planning and foresight you could have still had your weekend the way you like it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Of course you're right. But most of these people should know that TCM is NOT a conservative channel. It likes to change with the times. It's a very progressive channel.

The good news is, if they decide to drop the ball as you keep hinting with your not-so-subtle college level agit-prop, there are now plenty of other ways for someone else to see what they want.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

The good news is, if they decide to drop the ball as you keep hinting with your not-so-subtle college level agit-prop, there are now plenty of other ways for someone else to see what they want.

Not sure why you're going out of your way to be rude. I am not going to be made to feel like I was in the wrong saying TCM is progressive. I feel it is, and and I'm glad it is...there's nothing wrong in my saying so.

I do feel it's selfish for conservatives to come on to these boards and insist that TCM reflect their views. Incredibly selfish. But that's a conversation for the off-topics board. Moving on...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure why you're going out of your way to be rude. I am not going to be made to feel like I was in the wrong saying TCM is progressive. I feel it is, and and I'm glad it is...there's nothing wrong in my saying so.

I do feel it's selfish for conservatives to come on to these boards and insist that TCM reflect their views. Incredibly selfish. But that's a conversation for the off-topics board. Moving on...

Whether or not one who thinks the channel should stay the same as it has always been (in their minds) is their belief and they should be allowed to voice their concerns or objections, just like everyone else has in many other threads on the message boards.

But that's a conversation for the off-topics board.

You are correct in pointing out that this discussion might belong in Off-Topics and is bordering on my often used line "going off the rails".

As is often the case with every thread on these boards. A topic is started and somewhere within the thread, the main focus of the thread is hijacked and some other topic somewhat related to the original topic is started. We are all guilty of doing that. As far as tcmsteven is concerned, he has every right to write what he believes he is seeing on the channel. I do not believe it is a conservative or liberal POV. Who knows what politics is being deployed here. Again, you are the one who brought this up. Not tcmsteven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fxreyman said:

As is often the case with every thread on these boards. A topic is started and somewhere within the thread, the main focus of the thread is hijacked and some other topic somewhat related to the original topic is started. We are all guilty of doing that. As far as tcmsteven is concerned, he has every right to write what he believes he is seeing on the channel. I do not believe it is a conservative or liberal POV. Who knows what politics is being deployed here. Again, you are the one who brought this up. Not tcmsteven.

Maybe tcmsteven should start a thread re: his complaint.

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Maybe tcmsteven should start a thread re: his complaint.

Maybe?