Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hope and Glory

Hibi

Tonight at 8pm. Wonderful 80s film about a family living through the London blitz in WW2 from John Boorman. I don't think it is a premiere  (think it ran during Oscar month once), but seldom shown. Nominated for 5 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Director. Well worth viewing!

• Like 4

Indeed, its been over 10 years since the last time it aired. And it is a wonderful film, one that subverts expectations by not being a serious, somber film about a family making their way through the Blitz, but, despite having some serious and shocking moments, being a blissfully cheeky comedy filled with colorful, entertaining characters.

• Like 1

One of my favorite scenes (and there are so many wonderful vignettes in this film):

Pink...pink...pink...pink

What are the pink bits?

They're ours, Miss.

Yes, the British Empire.  Men are fighting and dying to save the pink bits for you ungrateful little twerps.

BOOKS AWAY!! SCRAMBLE! SCRAMBLE!

• Like 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

One of the best films of 1987, if not THE best.

screen-shot-2019-05-18-at-5.42.10-pm.jpe

There are some others from 1987 that are wonderful too: The Dead, The Whales of August, 84 Charing Cross Road, Broadcast News, Moonstruck, Radio Days, Wish You Were Here, La Bamba, Cry Freedom, Pelle the Conqueror, Street Smart, Raising Arizona, Au Revoir Les Enfants, House of Games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

There are some others from 1987 that are wonderful too: The Dead, The Whales of August, 84 Charing Cross Road, Broadcast News, Moonstruck, Radio Days, Wish You Were Here, La Bamba, Cry Freedom, Pelle the Conqueror, Street Smart, Raising Arizona, Au Revoir Les Enfants, House of Games.

I've said it elsewhere on this forum-- but I believe 1987 was the strongest year with regards to cinema in the 1980s.

HOPE AND GLORY and HOUSE OF GAMES are two favorites...most of the other ones you listed are just as great.

I posted this awhile ago on my blog:

The best of 1987

52482-screen2bshot2b2016-01-182bat2b6-22-542bam.jpeg

Lillian Gish & Bette Davis spent a summer in Maine; Hugh Grant had a complex relationship with James Wilby; Anjelica Huston attended a special dinner party; Richard Dreyfuss & Danny DeVito were the best of frenemies; and Kevin Costner sought to bring down Robert DeNiro.

3f9f0-screen2bshot2b2016-01-182bat2b6-22-122bam.jpeg

43bf4-screen2bshot2b2016-01-182bat2b6-23-352bam.jpeg

My list:
1. HOPE AND GLORY (British comedy drama war film)
2. THE LAST EMPEROR (epic biographical drama)
3. MAURICE (British literary adaptation)
4. THE DEAD (Irish-American literary adaptation)
5. THE UNTOUCHABLES (biographical gangster drama)
6. TIN MEN (comedy drama)
7. THE WHALES OF AUGUST (drama)
8. HAMBURGER HILL (Vietnam war film)
9. HOUSE OF GAMES (neo-noir heist film)
10. 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (biographical drama)

Honorable Mentions: 
AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS (biographical drama)
BABY BOOM (feminist romantic comedy)
BAGDAD CAFÉ (German-American comedy)
LA BAMBA (biographical musical drama)
BROADCAST NEWS (comedy drama)
DIRTY DANCING (coming of age dance film)
FATAL ATTRACTION (psychological thriller)
GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM (Vietnam war comedy drama)
THE LOST BOYS (coming of age drama)
MOONSTRUCK (romantic comedy drama)
NUTS (psychological drama)
THE PRINCESS BRIDE (fantasy comedy adventure)
RADIO DAYS (ensemble comedy drama)
RAISING ARIZONA (satirical comedy)
ROXANNE (romantic comedy literary adaptation)
THREE MEN AND A BABY (comedy)
WALL STREET (drama)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I've said it elsewhere on this forum-- but I believe 1987 was the strongest year with regards to cinema in the 1980s.

HOPE AND GLORY and HOUSE OF GAMES are two favorites...most of the other ones you listed are just as great.

I posted this awhile ago on my blog:

The best of 1987

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-18%2Bat%2B6.22.5

Lillian Gish & Bette Davis spent a summer in Maine; Hugh Grant had a complex relationship with James Wilby; Anjelica Huston attended a special dinner party; Richard Dreyfuss & Danny DeVito were the best of frenemies; and Kevin Costner sought to bring down Robert DeNiro.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-18%2Bat%2B6.22.1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-01-18%2Bat%2B6.23.3

My list:
1. HOPE AND GLORY (British comedy drama war film)
2. THE LAST EMPEROR (epic biographical drama)
3. MAURICE (British literary adaptation)
4. THE DEAD (Irish-American literary adaptation)
5. THE UNTOUCHABLES (biographical gangster drama)
6. TIN MEN (comedy drama)
7. THE WHALES OF AUGUST (drama)
8. HAMBURGER HILL (Vietnam war film)
9. HOUSE OF GAMES (neo-noir heist film)
10. 84 CHARING CROSS ROAD (biographical drama)

Honorable Mentions: 
AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS (biographical drama)
BABY BOOM (feminist romantic comedy)
BAGDAD CAFÉ (German-American comedy)
LA BAMBA (biographical musical drama)
BROADCAST NEWS (comedy drama)
DIRTY DANCING (coming of age dance film)
FATAL ATTRACTION (psychological thriller)
GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM (Vietnam war comedy drama)
THE LOST BOYS (coming of age drama)
MOONSTRUCK (romantic comedy drama)
NUTS (psychological drama)
THE PRINCESS BRIDE (fantasy comedy adventure)
RADIO DAYS (ensemble comedy drama)
RAISING ARIZONA (satirical comedy)
ROXANNE (romantic comedy literary adaptation)
THREE MEN AND A BABY (comedy)
WALL STREET (drama)

Yes, Last Emperor and Nuts are both very impressive films as well.... Someday I neeed to get around to finishing Empire of the Sun.... Always wanted to see Bagdad Cafe and Good Morning Vietnam. Fatal Attraction would have been better with the original ending, but the performances hold up. Also another I didn't mention: Dead of Winter is a good loose remake of My Name is Julia Ross, even if you can tell that the dead bodies in it are obviously wax dummies.

As for 80s years, its definitely a strong one, but I give the slight edge to 1988. For the following films came out in that year: My Neighbor Totoro, Cinema Paradiso, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Accidental Tourist, Running on Empty, A Cry in the Dark, Zelly and Me, Stormy Monday, Camille Claudel, Another Woman, Moon Over Parador, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Grave of the Fireflies, Married to the mob, Working Girl, Rain Man, Beaches....

• Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to this as I don't think I've ever seen this movie, though for some

reason I remember seeing the cover box for it when there were still movie rental stores.

A healthy alternative to 10 Rillington Place.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

I had no idea that Boorman made a sequel "Queen and Country", 2014 until I just read about it on Wiki.

Is anyone familiar with it?

No, I'm not. The same cast? I'll have to look it up.

Just checked it out on imdb. Some really bad reviews on there. I guess it flopped. I don't even remember it playing here. Would still like to see it. Completely different cast.

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Or how about the scene where Ian Bannen trying to shotgun a mouse while the whole family is at the breakfast table?

I think it was a rat! An awfully big mouse.

15 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Just checked it out on imdb. Some really bad reviews on there. I guess it flopped. I don't even remember it playing here. Would still like to see it. Completely different cast.

I guess the original cast would have been too old for the sequel. Billy is around 18 in the sequel but  Hope and Glory was almost 30 years ago at the time it was made.

Yes. Some of the characters are back, but played by different people. The story jumps ahead 10 yrs, but the actors would've been almost 30 yrs older, so makes sense. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

• Like 1

Watching Hope and Glory last night for the first time since it was released 30+ years ago brought to mind a couple of other movies. There's a scene in which a downed German pilot parachutes right into the middle of the neighborhood, which of course echoes a scene in Mrs. Miniver. I guess that was a common enough occurrence in real life that it was depicted in those two movies and probably more. In Mrs. Miniver, it turns into almost a superheroine action scene, but in this movie, the pilot calmly smokes a cigarette and waits to be taken prisoner. 

Also, there's a scene in which the family sits around the radio listening to the king's speech that, well, is the entire subject of the movie The King's Speech. While the speech in question is presented as a glorious triumph in the newer movie, here it seems to meet a collective "meh" from the family listening to it! The father says "I thought it was better than last year's", and the teenage daughter rolls her eyes and says "Oh, Dad, you say that every year!".

Wonderful movie (***1/2-out of 4) & was up for 7 Oscars that year, but the BP race was  *LAST EMPEROR-(swept all 9 is was up for)

&The Last Emperor (***1/2) ($34m.) ( swept, ent 9 for 9)

Broadcast News ($27m) 94 BIG STARS!)

Moonstruck ($8lm((&27m.)

& Fatal Attraction )made an astounding $157m,( (balrely ***1/2) my tsting" 

(ALSO-RANS FOR '97)> The Untouchables $87m.) & my winner Ali Oscars!  Full Metal Jacket (l987)&and John Huston's finale in this 83 minute mssterpivr to IRIDH & THE Dea people,ryc SEE MY TROUBLEm CANNIT FINISH MY RELIES & OF ALL SITES A #1

Here it is:

Watching Hope and Glory last night for the first time since it was released 30+ years ago brought to mind a couple of other movies. There's a scene in which a downed German pilot parachutes right into the middle of the neighborhood, which of course echoes a scene in Mrs. Miniver. I guess that was a common enough occurrence in real life that it was depicted in those two movies and probably more. In Mrs. Miniver, it turns into almost a superheroine action scene, but in this movie, the pilot calmly smokes a cigarette and waits to be taken prisoner. 

Also, there's a scene in which the family sits around the radio listening to the king's speech that, well, is the entire subject of the movie The King's Speech. While the speech in question is presented as a glorious triumph in the newer movie, here it seems to meet a collective "meh" from the family listening to it! The father says "I thought it was better than last year's", and the teenage daughter rolls her eyes and says "Oh, Dad, you say that every year!".

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Yes, Last Emperor and Nuts are both very impressive films as well.... Someday I neeed to get around to finishing Empire of the Sun.... Always wanted to see Bagdad Cafe and Good Morning Vietnam. Fatal Attraction would have been better with the original ending, but the performances hold up. Also another I didn't mention: Dead of Winter is a good loose remake of My Name is Julia Ross, even if you can tell that the dead bodies in it are obviously wax dummies.

As for 80s years, its definitely a strong one, but I give the slight edge to 1988. For the following films came out in that year: My Neighbor Totoro, Cinema Paradiso, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, The Accidental Tourist, Running on Empty, A Cry in the Dark, Zelly and Me, Stormy Monday, Camille Claudel, Another Woman, Moon Over Parador, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Grave of the Fireflies, Married to the mob, Working Girl, Rain Man, Beaches....

To CinemaIntertnationsal, now be hest did you look this up-(GOOGLE0 before hand, before an excellent job buddy either way!!!

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings