Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1960

By the way, I thought I should inform readers of these of future plans. I hope to continue doing these as long as there is interest and ideally would like to carry it to the modern day to encompass all of Fox History (although I'll definitely need to deploy the Fox Searchlight titles to help brush up some post 2000 years). There are still many films that might benefit from another look.

The 60s dawned with a successful war film Sink the Bismark!

Sink_the_Bismarck_poster.jpg

Bobbikins dealt with a talking baby with stock tips.

MV5BMTk0NTUwNzU3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDA5

the thriller The Third Voice starred Edmond O'Brien and was the end of the line for Laraine Day.

The_3rd_Voice_poster.jpg'

Can-Can was a very entertaining musical, but was not as big at the Box Office as Fox had hoped....

Can_Can.jpeg

The Wind Cannot Read had Dirk Bogarde in a tale of forbidden love in WWII

%22The_Wind_Cannot_Read%22_(1958).jpg

Seven Theives was a heist film with Edward G. Robinson, Eli Wallach, Joan Collins, and Rod Steiger

Seven_Thieves_Poster.jpg

The Rookie was a little comedy.

TheRookiePoster.jpg

A boy and his dog in A Dog of Flanders, based on the children's classic

MV5BOGRkZmEwOTctNzdjNC00MjdiLWE2YmMtNjEx

Wild River is a personal favorite. A tremendous film, very moving, extremely well acted and affecting.

Wild_River_(1960_film_poster).jpg

When Comedy was King was a much-admired comedy retrospective

MV5BYTI1MmFhNDItNDljYS00ODgyLTk2M2MtMjVl

13 Fighting Men took on a would be heist at the end of the Civil War.

13_Fighting_Men_poster.jpg

Twelve Hours to Kill was a crime film with a big phrase on its poster that made its plot obvious....

Twelve_Hours_to_Kill_FilmPoster.jpeg

Ernie Kovacs was the lead in the military flavored comedy Wake Me When It's Over.

Wake_Me_When_It's_Over_FilmPoster.jpeg

North West Frontier, an action adventure set in India, was a major hit in England.

North_West_Frontier,_a_1959_film.jpg

Criminals hid out in the Valley of the Redwoods

Valley_of_the_Redwoods_poster.jpg

Orson Welles was a major figure in two love triangles in Crack in the Mirror

Crack_in_the_Mirror_FilmPoster.jpeg

The Bible provided the basis for the next film: The Story of Ruth.

The_Story_of_Ruth_original_theatrical_re

Murder Inc was overall a blase crime film, but Peter Falk was electrifying as a gangster.

MV5BYzQxMjY0NjEtMjM0Mi00M2I1LThmYzItNTBj

Operation Amsterdam was another British WWII film

Operation-Amsterdam.jpg

The Lost World was a loose take on a famed HG Welles story.

TheLostWorld1960Poster.jpg

From the Terrace was very glossy, but unfortunately shallow. Myrna Loy was sensational though, but she was only in the first 25 minutes.

Poster_of_From_the_Terrace.jpg

The Idiot was a version of the Dostoevsky classic straight from the USSR.

The_Idiot_(1958_film).jpg

Sons and Lovers was a solid version of the infamous DH Lawrence book, highlighted by a good cast.

Sons_and_Lovers_poster.jpg

It was back to the west with Young Jesse James

Young_Jesse_James_poster.jpg

For the Love of Mike was a little film involving a boy hoping to raise money for a shrine in his town

MV5BZTIwNjZhZGQtNmQ3Yy00MTM4LTkzZjEtMjE2

The high-Powered Rifle involved a female gangster.

The_High_Powered_Rifle_poster.jpg

Squad Car was a crime quickie.

MV5BY2M0YzhiZTUtZWVmNi00MmUyLWE2NDQtN2Uz

Back to the West with Walk Tall.

Walk_Tall_poster.jpg

Marilyn Monroe made her next to last film, and her last completed film at Fox, with Let's Make love, directed by George Cukor.

Lets_make_love.jpeg

Underwater adventure was in store in September Storm

September_Storm_FilmPoster.jpeg

High Time sent Bing Crosby, in his 50s, back to college. A good natured comedy, the later passages were very entertaining. Also the first Blake Edwards film with Henry Mancini music (first of 24).

High_Time_1960.jpg

The Captain's Table was a British comedy.

MV5BNmFjOGMyYmYtZTNiZS00Yzg5LWEzNGMtNWM3

Weddings and Babies was an independent pickup

MV5BMTQ4Mjg3MjMzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjQx

The 39 Steps was one of several remakes of Hitchcock classics made over the years

39steps60poster.jpg

Desire in the Dust was a melodrama with Raymond Burr, Joan Bennett, and Martha Hyer

DESIRE_IN_THE_DUST_1960.jpg

Alan Ladd and Don Murray starred in the western One Foot in Hell

One_Foot_in_Hell_(film).jpg

The Goddess of Love came via Europe

The_Goddess_of_Love_poster.jpg

And John Wayne went North to Alaska

North_To_Alaska_1960.jpg

Another Euro adventure was in store in Legions of the Nile.

Legions-of-the-nile-movie-poster-1960-10

Upstairs and Downstairs was a British comedy.

MV5BNzY4ZDcyZWYtODczNC00MmVhLTlkNDYtYzc4

Diane Baker starred in a new version of the old melodrama Tess of the Storm Country.

Tess_of_the_Storm_Country_(1960_film)_po

Back to ocean adventure in The Secret of the Purple Reef

MV5BNDM5ZTlmYTktNDA5My00MGY4LTliMTgtMDI4

Joan Collins became a heroine of the Bible in Esther and the King.

Estherandthekingposter.jpg

The year was capped with the return of Elvis in Flaming Star....

MV5BYjk0ZDFmMGUtZmE3ZS00NDYzLTkyOTYtNjA0

Oh, and a certain film called Cleopatra got underway in 1960. It would have a big effect on Fox's finances and number of films released for several years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yay, we are in a new decade. I've been waiting to cover the 60s.

Here's my Top 10:

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 9.46.02 AM.jpeg

1. WILD RIVER. Intense, one of Elia Kazan's more potent dramas. Jo Van Fleet is exceptional.

2. MURDER INC. Reminds me of the 30s gangster films from Warner Brothers. Peter Falk steals the show.

3. SINK THE BISMARCK! Good British war film. I like Kenneth More in most anything he does. 

4. CAN-CAN. Re-teaming of Sinatra and MacLaine is buoyed by lively production numbers and strong production values. 

5. SEVEN THIEVES. Well made heist film. Robinson and Steiger are excellent. And so is Joan Collins, who always gives a smart performance.

6. FLAMING STAR. Elvis' best dramatic role. 

7. LET'S MAKE LOVE. Monroe's last completed film for Fox. Nice cameos by Bing Crosby and Gene Kelly.

8. NORTH TO ALASKA. One of John Wayne's more enjoyable offerings from this period. I particularly like Stewart Granger in this film. It's a rousing adventure comedy.

9. ONE FOOT IN HELL. Feels like a TV western, but it's well played by an exceptional cast. Interesting to see Alan Ladd against type as a bad guy.

10. DESIRE IN THE DUST. Raymond Burr was on a break from Perry Mason when he starred in this drama. Joan Bennett plays his very unhappy wife. This was Bennett's last motion picture for awhile. She left the movies to deal with dark shadowy vampires on television.

• Thanks 1

I agree with your assessment that From the Terrace is glossy but shallow, but I've gone back to it again and again. It's the right kind of slick.

I'm a fan of High Time, the early Blake Edwards college comedy, mostly for the young cast supporting Bing Crosby. You can't go wrong with Tuesday Weld and Richard Beymer made more sense here than in West Side Story, in my opinion. And Fabian fit right in, which he didn't always; sometimes it felt like casting him was a gimmick to bring in "the kids". I'm not sure the folks at Fox were casting geniuses. A quick rundown of the films Marilyn somehow managed to avoid doing for them over the years when she was their biggest asset shows that clearly. She was miscast in Let's Make Love, but understandably wanted to finish out her contract. Fox also should have done better by Elvis than they did, but at least his Fox films never sank to the level of his mid-Sixties musical misfires for other studios.

The Story of Ruth was a decent, fairly heartfelt entry into the "Biblical" genre, much more so than crass attempts like MGM's The Prodigal.

Can-Can had most of the right elements but didn't really land right. I've never really been sure why, but it seems to have gotten bogged down somewhere in the middle and never fully recovered.

North to Alaska had one of the great musical tie-ins with Johnny Horton's theme song and the movie itself was a lot of fun.

I can't believe there's a Lauren Bacall movie I don't remember ever hearing about, but I'm drawing a blank on North West Frontier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I can't believe there's a Lauren Bacall movie I don't remember ever hearing about, but I'm drawing a blank on North West Frontier.

It was really produced in 1959, but I don't think it premiered in America until a year later. It's never shown on TCM when they do their various tributes to Bacall. But it's quite good. The production values are outstanding, the plot is very involving and Kenneth More works rather well with Bacall. Also, it's nice to see Bacall step out of her normal comfort zone and do something in the action adventure genre.

Produced by the Rank Organisation. In Eastman Color and CinemaScope.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053126/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It was really produced in 1959, but I don't think it premiered in America until a year later. It's never shown on TCM when they do their various tributes to Bacall. But it's quite good. The production values are outstanding, the plot is very involving and Kenneth More works rather well with Bacall. Also, it's nice to see Bacall step out of her normal comfort zone and do something in the action adventure genre.

Very interesting. Thanks. I liked her in Blood Alley so I expect I would like this.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:35 PM, TopBilled said:

they just ran it a week or two ago on movies!

lom turns out to be a real pos.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings