Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perhaps more 20th Century Fox Films will be shown on TCM now that Disney owns them?

AndrewSchone

I noticed at least 2 or 3 Fox films will be shown on Noir Alley in the upcoming months.  Since TCM shows a moderate number of older Disney films, I suspect they have some sort of arrangement with Disney. 

This leads me to hope that TCM will show more Fox films in the future.  Many classic (and entertainig but less than classic) studio era Fox films have been difficult to find on cable and online, especially in versions with high quality image and sound. 

For a little while a good number, including many Cinemascope films from the 1950's, were uploaded on YouTube, but these disappeared within a few days of the Disney acquistion (oh well). 

Also, for some reason, even before the Disney deal, we've had the various "Studio Orphans" (left adrift into semi-PD status by studio's 10's apathy in releasing their older 70's-90's disk catalogs) surface on the Usual Streaming Suspects:
We've had the MGM/UA/Orion Orphans, we've got the Columbia and Paramount Orphans at the moment, and now even unwanted bits of Warner are starting to wander the streams, but....no Fox or Universal.

By strange coincidence, these also happen to be the two studios that tried to release their own studio-exclusive movie channels, leaving aside Disney.

So, yeah, not sure what's going to happen with the Fox titles, but at least those aren't wandering about at the moment.

I'm just hoping the new ownership doesn't result in FEWER Fox films being aired on TCM! In my very unscientific opinion, TCM has shown more Fox films in the past five years than at any point in the network's history, indicating the network and the studio had developed a nice, healthy working relationship. I hope Disney's purchase doesn't change that. TCM and Disney also appear to have a good relationship, as TCM devotes an entire night to Disney programming four times a year, although I'm personally not crazy about the self-limiting format. I'd like to turn on TCM on just a plain old Tuesday once in a while and see that a Disney film is playing without it having to be a trumpeted event. I hope Disney doesn't insist upon TCM limiting its presentation of Fox films in a similar manner.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings