Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

That actor (WISH I knew his name!) Also played a new doctor/rival in Cabot Cove with Seth in one episode. 

Is it Hunt Block? He was in 3 MSW episodes. It looks like he's best known for soaps. He was recurring on Knot's LandingGuiding LightOne Life to Live and As the World Turns.

b2.png

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Is it Hunt Block? He was in 3 MSW episodes. It looks like he's best known for soaps. He was recurring on Knot's LandingGuiding LightOne Life to Live and As the World Turns.

b2.png

YES! THANKS! Beautiful Blue Eyes.

I watched THE SZECHUAN DRAGON this morning. It’s technically a bookend episode, Only instead of forcing some charmless imitation  on us this one is headed up by all the recurring characters on the show- Grady, his pregnant wife Donna, Sheriff Metzger, Doc Hazlitt and the delightful dim witted red headed Deputy Floyd, Who disappeared in the later seasons and was replaced with Deputy Andy – who was also cute, but just not Floyd.

For some reason, this episode shows up and a lot of people’s “worst of” lists and I don’t understand why. It’s pretty funny, and as far as the episodes that were done to accommodate a rest for Lansbury, it’s absolutely at the top stack.

ps- I’m very surprised at reading a lot of the episode reviews at how unpopular Grady and his wife Donna are with MsW fans

I mean Grady was cute as a button, and even if Donna was odd- and a frozen cod-wielding killer- I liked her.

2 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Then there is the "Do-Nothing Mayor" Sam Booth.

That's actor Richard Paul. Funny you should mention him, as I saw him in an episode the other night and, every time I see that actor, I think of Jerry Falwell. Paul played Falwell in The People vs Larry Flynt, and he was extremely convincing in the role. That was one of his final roles, as he died in '98 at the age of 58.

MV5BMjMxOTEyMDY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc5

vlcsnap-5654147.png

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Dumb and Dumber. I found Donna adorable. Loved her sweet whispery voice. They were cute for each other. Then there is the "Do-Nothing Mayor" Sam Booth.

LOL. He sort of disappeared in the later years of the show.

8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's actor Richard Paul. Funny you should mention him, as I saw him in an episode the other night and, every time I see that actor, I think of Jerry Falwell. Paul played Falwell in The People vs Larry Flynt, and he was extremely convincing in the role. That was one of his final roles, as he died in '98 at the age of 58.

MV5BMjMxOTEyMDY1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjc5

vlcsnap-5654147.png

I didnt see the film but could see him playing the role! :D

I have the vaguest memory of Richard Paul also playing a mayor, only this time of the small Southern town on a syndicated show. I want to say maybe Victor French played a deputy....?

EDIT: IMDbed it. It was CARTER COUNTRY, I don’t know why a TV show that went off the air in 1979 after two seasons was running in syndication in the 80s but...it was

9 hours ago, Hibi said:

I remember Morgan hawking cubic zirconia jewelry of MORGANite on the QVC shopping channel in the 90s. She was on there quite a few years.

She also played Chandler Bing's mom on Friends.  His dad was Kathleen Turner. 

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. [CABOT COVE MAYOR SAM BOOTH]sort of disappeared in the later years of the show.

As did JULIE ADAMS and the clatch from Loretta's...I guess maybe budget cuts? (THOSE OLD SCHOOLERS WERE NOT GONNA WORK FOR SCALE)

of course it's possible that they were all murdered, along with CLAUDE AKINS, and buried out by THE OLD LIGHTHOUSE or walled up in BORBEY HOUSE.

(it also seems to me, as if ca. season 10 they switched from shooting MsW on film to shooting them on tape, which was cheaper, but has a more saturated "7th Heaven"-type look to it.

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As did JULIE ADAMS and the clatch from Loretta's...I guess maybe budget cuts? (THOSE OLD SCHOOLERS WERE NOT GONNA WORK FOR SCALE)

of course it's possible that they were all murdered, along with CLAUDE AKINS, and buried out by THE OLD LIGHTHOUSE or walled up in BORBEY HOUSE.

(it also seems to me, as if ca. season 10 they switched from shooting MsW on film to shooting them on tape, which was cheaper, but has a more saturated "7th Heaven"-type look to it.

I think Julie Adams was on right to the end. I think she appeared less, though, in the last few years.

10 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

She also played Chandler Bing's mom on Friends.  His dad was Kathleen Turner. 

I'd forgotten about that. I didn't watch the show, but I remember reading about it.

I watched the ONE GOOD BID DESERVES A MURDER episode (season 3 I think?) it's the one where JESSICA is asked by EDWARD MULHARE to bid on the diary of the FAMOUS DEAD ACTRESS EVANGELINE**

(**APPARENTLY NOT THAT OLD CHICK WHO PUT BILLBOARDS OF HERSELF UP ALL OVER LA IN THE 80'S BUT IN THE SAME SPIRIT I THINK)

HURD HATFIELD collects his second MURDER, SHE PAYCHECK as the auction house owner and he is not in it much.

NANCY LEE GRAHN who will forever be JULIA from SANTA BARBARA for me is also in it, as is JERRY ORBACH as HARRY McGRAW- it's funny to watch him badmouth cops before he, of course, became immortal on LAW AND ORDER.

KAREN BLACK tries out some METHOD MURDER, SHE HAIR to let us know her Psychiatrist character is TWACKED: Karen%20Black%20%20'Murder,%20She%20Wrot

tHE ABOVE PIC, doesn't really show the 'do to its full lopsided CRAZINESS...

But the MVP of the episode is, as is always, THE LATE, GREAT VIC TAYBACK as a sort of LARRY FLINT-type publisher of a magazine called- I **** you not- HIPS. I love this man. I used to watch ALICE religiously because I lived for watching him not take any crap from LINDA LAVIN. there is no role ERNEST BORGNINE got that VIC TAYBACK wouldn't have been 10 times better in.

HE RESTS WITH THE ANGELS.

GOD, HOW I WISH FOR AN ALTERNATE UNIVERSE WHERE VIC TAYBACK LIVED TO PLAY DOROTHY'S CROSS-DRESSING BROTHER PHIL ON "THE GOLDEN GIRLS" ALONGSIDE BRENDA VACCARO AS HIS UNDERSTANDING WIFE ANGELA!!!!!!!

Vic%20Tayback%20%20'Murder,%20She%20Wrot

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, Floyd just disappeared. Nothing was said about him leaving town or anything. Guess they wanted someone with more smarts?

it seems to me as if seasons 6-9 went for a lighter, more comic tone with the CABOT COVE episodes (and others) while working in more serious NYC episodes along the way. seasons 10-12 are a lot darker and more serious all-around with very few "light" episodes, for example LOVE AND HATE IN CABOT COVE (about illegal gambling) or the one where GRADY tries to sell everyone out to crooked developers...

season 10, 11, and 12 CABOT COVE is a bit like PEYTON PLACE with a high murder rate.

(so i think a conscious decision was made to replace DEPUTY FLOYD with DEPUTY ANDY)

The last time I saw Linda Lavin was in that cameo in The Intern in 2015. She played a woman who had once had a date with Robert De Niro's widower, and was trying to seduce him to come on over again. He wanted to avoid that in the worst way possible. She turned up again briefly at a funeral scene later in the film and sees him with Rene Russo, who he has started dating. It ticks her off, and she flips the bird at De Niro  as the coffin passes by.

• Thanks 1