Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

He was reading the table of contents......

On 6/17/2019 at 6:52 PM, Hibi said:

I didnt see the film but could see him playing the role! :D

Well, Richard Paul (AKA Sam Booth) also appeared in a small bit at the beginning of Eating Raoul, the film where Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov kept killing off those pesky swingers, including getting rid of 30 in one blow with an electrical fixture in the giant hot tub.

11 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Well, Richard Paul (AKA Sam Booth) also appeared in a small bit at the beginning of Eating Raoul, the film where Paul Bartel and Mary Woronov kept killing off those pesky swingers, including getting rid of 30 in one blow with an electrical fixture in the giant hot tub.

(I love that scene!)

and MARY WORONOV Appeared in the classic JESSICA BEHIND BARS ep as a prison guard. 

Truly, MsW is the orb around which everything revolves. 

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

LOL. I've seen that film, but don't remember him in it (or much about it anymore, was so long ago).

Saw The Sins of Castle Cove on DVD the other night. Had a bit of dark humor around me at the time. before the body was revealed, it showed neighbors gawking as the police came. in Cabot Cove, with that murder rate, shouldn't it be second nature for the police coming to cart off another stiff?  It wouldn't be shocking anymore. I expect the Cabot Cove radio station would get a lot of airplay out of "Another One Bites the Dust"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Saw The Sins of Castle Cove on DVD the other night. Had a bit of dark humor around me at the time. before the body was revealed, it showed neighbors gawking as the police came. in Cabot Cove, with that murder rate, shouldn't it be second nature for the police coming to cart off another stiff?  It wouldn't be shocking anymore. I expect the Cabot Cove radio station would get a lot of airplay out of "Another One Bites the Dust"

LOL. One would think! That was the last episode that had Loretta's salon gang, if I remember correctly.

45 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. One would think! That was the last episode that had Loretta's salon gang, if I remember correctly.

Actually, no...In fact, I think it was actually the first.

After this one came the “BEVERLY” ep and then TOWN FATHER, About a plot by some shady real estate developers to make it look like mayor booth has had a secret wife and four kids also features the Loretta’s klatch.

I think Loretta only appeared in those three episodes.

I don’t know why those shady real estate developers were always chomping at the bit to develop property in MURDERVILLE USA. 

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

After this one came the “BEVERLY” ep and then TOWN FATHER, About a plot by some shady real estate developers to make it look like mayor booth has had a secret wife and four kids also features the Loretta’s klatch.

That's weird. I thought the Beverly one was the first? Yes, there were only 3 of them.

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I don’t know why those shady real estate developers were always chomping at the bit to develop property in MURDERVILLE USA. 

And some of them got murdered trying to do it!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

We are both partially right. Town Father was the last, but Beverly was the first. Castle Cove came in between. (just looked it up!)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hibi said:

We are both partially right. Town Father was the last, but Beverly was the first. Castle Cove came in between. (just looked it up!)

YAY FOR US!!!!!!!

I love being partially right!!!! (it's an improvement over my usually being completely wrong...)

the interesting thing about the SINS OF CASTLE COVE episode is that the murderer is not revealed until the very very end of the episode (in fact, it ends rather abruptly) , and only has one scene before that...

PS- THE CHARACTER OF "KC Feather, the local English teacher of Castle Cove"  or "SETH HAMLET the curmodeonly Lepruchan town doctor" would get you SO FREAKIN SUED IN REAL LIFE. 

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the interesting thing about the SINS OF CASTLE COVE episode is that the murderer is not revealed until the very very end of the episode (in fact, it ends rather abruptly) , and only has one scene before that...

PS- THE CHARACTER OF "KC Feather, the local English teacher of Castle Cove"  or "SETH HAMLET the curmodeonly Lepruchan town doctor" would get you SO FREAKIN SUED IN REAL LIFE. 

LMREO! I think the murderer had a couple short scenes before that. (I saw this one recently). It was a good choice as it wasn't someone you'd be suspicious would be.

14 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YAY FOR US!!!!!!!

I love being partially right!!!! (it's an improvement over my usually being completely wrong...)

TRUE!

I keep forgetting to turn on Cozi to watch this when I get home.

Instead, when I remember, they are showing My Favorite Martian, which I watch a little bit of.  Haven't seen it in years.  But I did look up that Ray Walston was a MSW guest star once.  Bill Bixby I can't find.  You would think he'd have been a natural for a guest.

Yes, he was in one early one about some board Jessica was involved in concerning a dead (of course) head of some company. I don't remember Bixby being on the show at all, but I could be wrong. I think perennial guest star Richard Beymer was in it too. (He seemed to guest star once a season for the entire show!)

1 hour ago, RoyCronin said:

I keep forgetting to turn on Cozi to watch this when I get home.

Instead, when I remember, they are showing My Favorite Martian, which I watch a little bit of.  Haven't seen it in years.  But I did look up that Ray Walston was a MSW guest star once.  Bill Bixby I can't find.  You would think he'd have been a natural for a guest.

BILL BIXBY Switched over to directing television after his HULK days. Before his very untimely death of cancer, which I believe happened during the MsW run, He had gotten to be a very iN DEMAND sitcom director, I know he directed a lot of episodes of BLOSSOM and maybe a few of FRIENDS. 

(I have no idea why remember some of this stuff)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, he was in one early one about some board Jessica was involved in concerning a dead (of course) head of some company. I don't remember Bixby being on the show at all, but I could be wrong. I think perennial guest star Richard Beymer was in it too. (He seemed to guest star once a season for the entire show!)

God yes on Beymer. You could play your own entire murder she wrote drinking game just based on whether or not the episode features Richard Beymer.

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God yes on Beymer. You could play your own entire murder she wrote drinking game just based on whether or not the episode features Richard Beymer.

LMREO! He seemed their go-to-actor when they had a sleazy part they needed to cast. He wasn't usually the killer, but I can't remember him every playing a nice guy on the show. LOL.

i still think KEN HOWARD was the most-used guest actor- he played JEAN SIMMONS husband in the MIRROR MIRROR episodes, he played a police detective in one of the bookend episodes, and he got to be the murderer one time...SOMETIMES they throw a toupee' on him to make him less recognizable.

he also played the widower that Blanche falls in love with on THE COMMITMENTS episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

He later became the president of SAG and won an Emmy for GREY GARDENS.

[spoilerKen+Howard+-+Murder+She+Wrote+-+S06-EP05

in a season one episode, he plays the detective on a case who turns out to be the murderer, which is a switch they used a couple more times over the run of the show.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i still think KEN HOWARD was the most-used guest actor- he played JEAN SIMMONS husband in the MIRROR MIRROR episodes, he played a police detective in one of the bookend episodes, and he got to be the murderer one time...SOMETIMES they throw a toupee' on him to make him less recognizable.

he also played the widower that Blanche falls in love with on THE COMMITMENTS episode of THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

He later became the president of SAG and won an Emmy for GREY GARDENS.

[spoilerKen+Howard+-+Murder+She+Wrote+-+S06-EP05

Reveal hidden contents

in a season one episode, he plays the detective on a case who turns out to be the murderer, which is a switch they used a couple more times over the run of the show.

Wasn't he one of the "guest sleuths" as well? If you include relatives, Grady probably appeared in the most episodes.

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wasn't he one of the "guest sleuths" as well? If you include relatives, Grady probably appeared in the most episodes.

Yeah, I refer to the "guest sleuths" as "bookend episodes"- I'm sure there's probably a better term for them, ie "one of the sucky ones without Jessica."

I don't count Grady or The Sheriff(s) or Seth or even Stan of the NYPD (Herb Edelman) because they're recurring characters, this guy played someone different each time.

Oh, OK. I didn't know what you meant by that term. Yeah, that's true. Grady actor played the same character every time.

22 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Oh, OK. I didn't know what you meant by that term. Yeah, that's true. Grady actor played the same character every time.

"bookend" episode isn't the greatest name for them, since Jessica usually only appears in the first 2 minutes and never at the end.

every single flippin' one of them is online and I avoid them ALL like the plague- even one which stars BARRY NEWMAN as a (legit this time) NYPD cop who has been assigned a teaching job because besides not featuring Jessica they are (as far as I can recall) ALL HORRIBLY WRITTEN!!!!!

The DENNIS STANTON episodes are the absolute NADIR of the series, even one that features PATRICIA NEAL is not worth watching.

There is also one called MURDER ACCORDING TO MAGGIE (about a HOLLYWOOD PA on a crime show who solves a murder and they BLATANTLY recycle a plotline and murder method from another episode.)

really, it's kind of ASTOUNDING that the "Bookend" aka "JESSICALESS" episodes didn't outright kill the series and ruin its momentum. After they stopped doing them, the show stayed in the top 10 for a few more years

it's really a testament to the popularity of ANGELA LANSBURY that the show recovered.