Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

On 8/6/2019 at 4:27 PM, Hibi said:

Yes, I remember that one. It could've been reworked into a Loretta gang episode, but I'm not sure it was written for them. Too bad. It would've been funny.

That it would have been. Frankly, those three episodes were so good that it would have been nice if they had done two of them every season.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, LawrenceA said:

I saw part of one the other night. Jessica was watching the filming of a "hot" new music video. Then a dead guy fell out of a cabinet or something. It was laughably awful. I recognized Robert Knepper looking shady as usual. I didn't stick around much longer, though.

Uh, yeah, that was season 9's The Sound of Murder, an episode I only saw once, and not one of the show's finest hours. Season 9 was one of the rockiest in the show's quality. It started off well and ended well, but some of the ones in the middle that year were some of the weakest episodes the series had. So of course the season received the highest Nielsen ratings of the latter half of the show's run. Copy of the Nielsen ratings during the show's 9th season.

I know. As many times as I've seen all 3, I still laugh a lot though I know all the jokes. It's a shame they didnt run at least one a season till the end.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hibi said:

I know. As many times as I've seen all 3, I still laugh a lot though I know all the jokes. It's a shame they didnt run at least one a season till the end.

Yeah, and cut back too on all the episodes with the rock groups. Oy.

I caught most of an episode last night that was a noir pastiche, with Mike Connors (unreliably) narrating the circumstances of his own murder. It had Elizabeth Ashley, Andrew Prine, and Peter Haskell in it. The Hallmark Channel's editing seemed to leave a lot out of it. Incidentally, Ashley is a native of Ocala, Florida, a short way to the south of me, while Prine was a native of Jennings, which is the neighboring town to my northwest.

I also just finished watching The Mirror Crack'd, with Lansbury as Miss Marple, and seen by many as the dry run for Murder, She Wrote. The movie wasn't very good, but Lansbury has a good time with her role, and the early appearance by Pierce Brosnan was amusing.

DOhzVwqUQAIUU9P.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I caught most of an episode last night that was a noir pastiche, with Mike Connors (unreliably) narrating the circumstances of his own murder. It had Elizabeth Ashley, Andrew Prine, and Peter Haskell in it. The Hallmark Channel's editing seemed to leave a lot out of it. Incidentally, Ashley is a native of Ocala, Florida, a short way to the south of me, while Prine was a native of Jennings, which is the neighboring town to my northwest.

I also just finished watching The Mirror Crack'd, with Lansbury as Miss Marple, and seen by many as the dry run for Murder, She Wrote. The movie wasn't very good, but Lansbury has a good time with her role, and the early appearance by Pierce Brosnan was amusing.

DOhzVwqUQAIUU9P.jpg

1. that is a rare early episode (season 2 or 3?) that rates NEAR THE BOTTOM of the individual episode IMDB Rankings (or at least it did last time i checked, i remember because I AGREE.) it's not one of the best at all. Isn't JILL SCHOELEN (sp?) also in it? Man- she really picked up and ran with the BAD ACTING TORCH that LOIS CHILES dropped. WOOF!

2. i REALLY do love ELIZABETH ASHLEY, and lately she has been showing up on my new obsession ANOTHER WORLD- she played a character for a month-long stint in 1990 (maybe 1991?) that HAD to have felt like a step down for her- she had been an actress in some major movies (ANOTHER WORLD was a great show, but it was in the bottom of the ratings at the time.)

3. it's been a long time since i've seen the mess that is THE MIRROR CRACK'D i remember LANSBURY as MARPLE smokes AND looks like a Q-TIP.

4. that SHOT of LIZ tho, DAMN! Girl still HAD IT even if they had to use that WARREN BEATTY IN LOVE AFFAIR style "just light the eyes" approach.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:57 PM, LawrenceA said:

I think that The Mirror Crack'd was pretty enjoyable, and also a bit poignant in a way. This was pretty much the end of the Line for Elizabeth Taylor, Kim Novak, and Rock Hudson. They would all make some TV appearances (North and South, Falcon Crest, Dynasty) and a smattering of films (The Flintstones, Liebestraum, The Ambassador) but this was the last real showcase for them, and Taylor and Novak were having a lot of fun in their catty movie star rival scenes. Especially Novak. Her over-the-top performance was a real hoot for me. Looks like she finally got her chance to spoof the excesses of divas.

It's almost time for Hallmark to banish Murder, She Wrote and Golden Girls for 2 months replacing it with sappy holiday made for tv movies 24/7!! :(

45 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's almost time for Hallmark to banish Murder, She Wrote and Golden Girls for 2 months replacing it with sappy holiday made for tv movies 24/7!! :(

I’m surprised that Hallmark hasn’t created a spin-off year ‘round Christmas movie channel. 

57 minutes ago, Hibi said:

It's in the works!

At least if all the Hallmark Christmas crap could be sequestered to its own special network, I can watch "my girls" (even though the whole series, w/o the absurd editing is on Hulu). 

The Hallmark Christmas movies are literally the same 3 movies over and over again. Just sub in a different leading man, a different town with a cutesy name (e.g. Holiday Town or Christmas Mountain or something like that), and one of three conflicts:

1) Male and female co-workers loathe each other, forced to work on project together.  The film ends with them falling in love, getting married and starting their own business or something. 

2) Woman's family business is in trouble, falls in love with local man, man's business is the root cause of the family business' trouble. The film ends with the man having a change of heart, doing something to help the family business, and the family patriarch toasting his daughter and her new beau for saving the business.

3) Big city woman is stranded in small random town with cutesy name, meets the hunky local carpenter, and ingratiates herself into the town's day to day operations.  The film ends with the woman deciding to leave the hustle and bustle of the big city and set up shop in cutesy town--planning on making her living building Christmas ornaments, or something. 

LOL! There are only so many Christmas plots. I can't believe people watch these movies over and over......

Yes, you can bet some old grump will change their tune by movies' end and will be filled with the Christmas spirit! Also there'll be some cutesy kids in the story too......

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL! There are only so many Christmas plots. I can't believe people watch these movies over and over......

Yes, you can bet some old grump will change their tune by movies' end and will be filled with the Christmas spirit! Also there'll be some cutesy kids in the story too......

Usually the cutesy kid will be very introverted and hard to get along with.  It'll be the leading Hallmark lady who makes a special connection with the child, and brings him or her out of their shell.  This will endear the lady to the child's father.

• Haha 1

A romance will be rekindled when the Star goes to his/her Small Home Town and bumps into an Ex.

But, there's an existing boyfriend/girlfriend to deal with.

• Haha 1

The amount of loathing I have for 95% of the programming on the Hallmark channel and anything Hallmark-adjacent is never ending.

At least Lifetime has scandalous stories like "My Husband's Tryst with the Babysitter" or something. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roy Cronin said:

A romance will be rekindled when the Star goes to his/her Small Home Town and bumps into an Ex.

Or the leading lady is a grinch in Christmas Mountain and it takes the local kindly innkeeper lady to help her heart grow two sizes and embrace the real meaning of the season. 

6 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

YUP! And points if she's a divorcee or widow with young kids.......

• Like 1

And the Christmas trees are filled with Hallmark ornaments.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would like to see Lifetime's College Admission Scandal move with Penelope Ann Miller.  i've seen the trailer and it looks like fun.  I've been following the real story closely so I want to see how thinly disguised the Felicity Huffman/Lori Loughlin characters are.

10 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

I would like to see Lifetime's College Admission Scandal move with Penelope Ann Miller.  i've seen the trailer and it looks like fun.  I've been following the real story closely so I want to see how thinly disguised the Felicity Huffman/Lori Loughlin characters are.

I hope the characters are named something like "Belicity Buffman" and "Bori Boughlin." 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

And the Christmas trees are filled with Hallmark ornaments.....

And there's a giant angel tree topper on top.  Nothing says Hallmark like a story told with a not so subtle Christian slant. 

18 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YUP! And points if she's a divorcee or widow with young kids.......

And one of the kids has giant ears and/or missing baby teeth.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Roy Cronin said:

LOL. Who plays who?