Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

(inhales)

the oddest thing happened to me a month ago.

i started writing something- diligently, and passionately, and I actually enjoy it.  I am at present 115 pages into it (more if you count the outline.)

it's been a writing experience like no other i've had before (in that it has been much less painful and arduous)

anyhow, as a way of keep my "instrument clean**" while writing, I HAVE BEEN WATCHING ALMOST NOTHING BUT MURDER SHE WROTE EPISODES on either AMAZON PRIME or u-yay ube tay where a lot of them are available in full!!!!!!! (including NIGHT OF THE TARANTULA.)

FOR an ENTIRE MONTH NOW, I HAVE LIVED MURDER SHE WROTE

I HavE BREATHED MURdER, SHE WROTE.

I HAVE WATCHED A ****TON OF MURDER, SHE WROTE.

I have not contributed any show reviews to the I JUST WATCHED thread, because I did not want to derail, but now I see this thread and oh my, i may just have to post a few......

PS- THE STRAIN OF WRITING so much outside of the forums is showing a little bit, so all apologies if this comes across as a deranged rambling- like the time BLANCHE on THE GOLDEN GIRLS spent an entire 48 hours writing her memoirs and lost her mind completely....

**when writing something, you have to be careful about what you watch and read as it can influence and shape your style while you are writing it. MURDER SHE WROTE is so pure, so simple- I have no worries there.

During its initial run I think that a lot of older, loyal viewers appreciated the lack of overt, gratuitous violence.  I remember reading an article at the time where one of these viewers said "Sure, you know there's been a murder, but you don't really see anything awful."

COZI has been using this in the promos:  they show various bodies and comment on how little blood is visible.....

And welcome to the thread Lorna, we've been expecting you.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

During its initial run I think that a lot of older, loyal viewers appreciated the lack of overt, gratuitous violence.  I remember reading an article at the time where one of these viewers said "Sure, you know there's been a murder, but you don't really see anything awful."

COZI has been using this in the promos:  they show various bodies and comment on how little blood is visible.....

And welcome to the thread Lorna, we've been expecting you.

funny you should mention that, because I was thinking that the first episode i would profile (and the one i would say- grudgingly- is my favorite) IS THE MOST VIOLENT OF THE SERIES, the season 5 episode:

SNOW WHITE, BLOOD RED, aka THE ONE WHERE SHE IS AT A "SKI LODGE" AND BY "SKY LODGE" WE MEAN A WINTER TIME BACKDROP WE'VE HAD ON THE UNIVERSAL LOT SINCE SIRK USED IT IN "ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS."

It is delicious.

(spoilers are included, so DON'T READ if you haven;t seen it, because with the exception of the BUS STOP, STICKS AND STONES and CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS- it has the cleverest exposition of the series.

i VIVIDLY RECALL seeing it on tv in 1988 with my dad and being shocked, and intrigued by the violence.

was there ever another episode of MsW with a higher body count? (this one has three)

Jessica is trapped by a blizzard at a ski resort RUN by a husband and wife-

HE is played by the lead from CRIMES OF PASSION and the actor playing him seems visibly strung out on drugs.

(I have noticed this from a lot of the younger men guesting on MsW)

SHE is played by an actress with a PRIME EXAMPLE OF MURDER, SHE HAIR.

I TRIED SO HARD to find an image of her from this episode to post here,but ALAS  i did not.

[just imagine IN THE place of said photo that- on a dare- REBA MCINTYRE ca. 1991 decided to French kiss an electric eel and someone got a snap of the end result.]

with the help of [seen below] BUDGET PAUL NEWMAN and COL SANDERS FROM "SPACEBALLS" (a vacationing NYPD detective staying at the inn with his wife who looks like Yvonne DeCarlo's older half-sister whose father was a badger; and a vacationing gynecologist Jessica strongarms into being a VERY RELUCTANT makeshift coroner/medical examiner on the spot) MRS. F looks into WHO KILLED GUNNER, THE INVINCIBLE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD OF THE SLOPES (one of my favorite MURDER SHE VICTIMS ever) and then another guy and then the drunken, belligerent coach of the men's olympic bobsled(?) (slolum?) team during the storm.

hqdefault.jpg

11352129_1497908307167388_1474756512_n.j

KEY FACT LEARNED: if you shoot a corpse, he doesn't bleed.

THIS EPISODE IS NOTABLE FOR ITS DUAL ENTRY TO THE MURDER, SHE HAIR HALL OF INFAMY.

THIS:

19246.jpgNow, I'm not one to OVERTHINK things,

but I put it to you that:

the wife/accomplice  of a longtime, professional hired hitman would want to choose a hairstyle that would cause her to BLEND IN, to seem UNMEMORABLE to any witnesses, to not stand out in anyone's memory

...and not, you know, something that would make complete strangers stand still in the hallways and cry out "SISTER MARY FRANCIS! Did you do that ON PURPOSE or what?!" as she passed by.

FOR THE RECORD THOUGH, both THE BADGER WOMAN and BUDGET PAUL NEWMAN (i am too lazy to imdb them and i am sorrY) are TERRIFIC ACTORS, without whom the episode and its reveal would be NOWHERE NEAR AS MEMORABLE.

Neither appeared on another episode, sadly.

(MURDER SHE WROTE liked to recycle their guest actors)

9 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

WHO KILLED GUNNER, THE INVINCIBLE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD OF THE SLOPES (one of my favorite MURSER SHE VICTIMS ever)

Gunner was played by Eric Allan Kramer, who also holds the distinction of playing the Marvel superhero Thor in the timeless TV-movie classic The Incredible Hulk Returns. He was also Little John in Mel Brooks' Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

image1801.jpg

verybig.jpg

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FOR THE RECORD THOUGH, both THE BADGER WOMAN and BUDGET PAUL NEWMAN (i am too lazy to imdb them and i am sorrY) are TERRIFIC ACTORS, without whom the episode and its reveal would be NOWHERE NEAR AS MEMORABLE.

Neither appeared on another episode, sadly.

(MURDER SHE WROTE liked to recycle their guest actors)

Budget Paul Newman is Barry Newman, star of the cult classic Vanishing Point. He appeared in two more MSW episodes: "Class Act" and "Game, Set, Murder".

• Thanks 1

OMG, THAT IS SOME GOOD CASTING RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!

(I actually found images of GUNNER from the episode on bing images BUT THEY WERE ALL HUGE (which, frankly seemed apt.)

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Budget Paul Newman is Barry Newman, star of the cult classic Vanishing Point. He appeared in two more MSW episodes: "Class Act" and "Game, Set, Murder".

and thank you for that.

i spent so long prattling in my review i was too tired to imadb the episode to give him credit.

HE WAS NOT ONLY A GOOD ACTOR, BUT FRANKLY, PRETTY SEXY TOO.

edit- i could have SWORN imdb said he didn't have any other MsW appearances when i looked him up when i first rewatched the episode a little while back- thanks for that)

I often find it is hard to tell from imdb when people made multiple appearances on MsW because it usually lists it once in their credits, and sometimes under the year the show premiered.

(and not episode by episode in the years they were filmed)

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I often find it is hard to tell from imdb when people made multiple appearances on MsW because it usually lists it once in their credits, and sometimes under the year the show premiered.

I avoid Amazon's IMDb whenever possible. This might be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder,_She_Wrote#Recurring_cast

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

That must be a mobile version problem? When I look up someone, it will list the TV series, and then the individual episodes, and their original airing year, below the show title. It will only list so many, but then there's a line you can click to see all of the episodes they appeared in if there's a greater number of them.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That must be a mobile version problem?

I use the Opera browser on my Amazon tablet. I set it to default to desktop web pages.

4 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I use the Opera browser on my Amazon tablet. I set it to default to desktop web pages.

I don't know what any of that means, but I was referring to the issue that Lorna expressed.

9 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I don't know what any of that means, but I was referring to the issue that Lorna expressed.

I was doing the same thing. My Opera browser is set to always load the desktop website, not the mobile version.

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

I was doing the same thing. My Opera browser is set to always load the desktop website, not the mobile version.

So then are you saying that you also have the same issue as Lorna, or are you providing a possible fix for Lorna's problem?

48 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

So then are you saying that you also have the same issue as Lorna, or are you providing a possible fix for Lorna's problem?

I am not aware of Lorna's issue. You suggested it could be a mobile version problem. As I've mentioned, my tablet is my only computer for a while. I'm getting good at it.

Most browsers on a smartphone or tablet are going to load the mobile version of websites. Against the wishes of Amazon, I have access to the Google Play Store. My tablet runs Amazon's enhanced Android. Okay TMI. I added the Opera browser from the Play Store.

If Lorna uses an Apple device, I can't help. I also gave Lorna a link for Wikipedia. I've seen mobile sites act completely different from the desktop ones.

I love how Opera can be set to word wrap adjust when I zoom. 

19 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

Mariska Hargety appears in an episode of In the Heat of the Night where she plays the girlfriend of a pathological murderer. It seems to pop up on WGN about every other week. 

She was also a regular for a year on Falcon Crest in the 80s. But since that doesn't really air anywhere anymore....

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

funny you should mention that, because I was thinking that the first episode i would profile (and the one i would say- grudgingly- is my favorite) IS THE MOST VIOLENT OF THE SERIES, the season 5 episode:

SNOW WHITE, BLOOD RED, aka THE ONE WHERE SHE IS AT A "SKI LODGE" AND BY "SKY LODGE" WE MEAN A WINTER TIME BACKDROP WE'VE HAD ON THE UNIVERSAL LOT SINCE SIRK USED IT IN "ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS."

It is delicious.

(spoilers are included, so DON'T READ if you haven;t seen it, because with the exception of the BUS STOP, STICKS AND STONES and CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS- it has the cleverest exposition of the series.

i VIVIDLY RECALL seeing it on tv in 1988 with my dad and being shocked, and intrigued by the violence.

was there ever another episode of MsW with a higher body count? (this one has three)

Jessica is trapped by a blizzard at a ski resort RUN by a husband and wife-

HE is played by the lead from CRIMES OF PASSION and the actor playing him seems visibly strung out on drugs.

(I have noticed this from a lot of the younger men guesting on MsW)

SHE is played by an actress with a PRIME EXAMPLE OF MURDER, SHE HAIR.

I TRIED SO HARD to find an image of her from this episode to post here,but ALAS  i did not.

[just imagine IN THE place of said photo that- on a dare- REBA MCINTYRE ca. 1991 decided to French kiss an electric eel and someone got a snap of the end result.]

with the help of [seen below] BUDGET PAUL NEWMAN and COL SANDERS FROM "SPACEBALLS" (a vacationing NYPD detective staying at the inn with his wife who looks like Yvonne DeCarlo's older half-sister whose father was a badger; and a vacationing gynecologist Jessica strongarms into being a VERY RELUCTANT makeshift coroner/medical examiner on the spot) MRS. F looks into WHO KILLED GUNNER, THE INVINCIBLE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD OF THE SLOPES (one of my favorite MURDER SHE VICTIMS ever) and then another guy and then the drunken, belligerent coach of the men's olympic bobsled(?) (slolum?) team during the storm.

hqdefault.jpg

11352129_1497908307167388_1474756512_n.j

KEY FACT LEARNED: if you shoot a corpse, he doesn't bleed.

THIS EPISODE IS NOTABLE FOR ITS DUAL ENTRY TO THE MURDER, SHE HAIR HALL OF INFAMY.

THIS:

19246.jpgNow, I'm not one to OVERTHINK things,

but I put it to you that:

the wife/accomplice  of a longtime, professional hired hitman would want to choose a hairstyle that would cause her to BLEND IN, to seem UNMEMORABLE to any witnesses, to not stand out in anyone's memory

...and not, you know, something that would make complete strangers stand still in the hallways and cry out "SISTER MARY FRANCIS! Did you do that ON PURPOSE or what?!" as she passed by.

That does have perhaps the most shocking Murder, She Wrote demise where the stabbed, naked body of a victim was hung from a showerhead as the camera obseves their quite dead face, and even for somebody who has seen a lot of episodes, its still a shock.

19246.jpg Incidently, this woman in Ronnie Claire Edwards, a far cry here from her days as Corabeth Godsey on TV's wholesome The Waltons.

And the wife who ran the ski lodge was Jaime Rose, who appeared as a regular in the first two years of Falcon Crest, as the daughter of Robert Foxworth and Susan Sullivan.

MV5BMjAyMzU4MDU0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTk3 (actually 5 of the people in this picture would later be guests on Murder She Wrote, although Miss Rose was the only one to make multiple trips back to Angela Lansbury-land)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Joaquin Phoenix appeared as a child in a 1984 episode. 

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I looked it up (it's called "We're Off to Kill the Wizard"), and it will be on Hallmark Mysteries channel next week. I set my DVR!

• Like 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I looked it up (it's called "We're Off to Kill the Wizard"), and it will be on Hallmark Mysteries channel next week. I set my DVR!

He does get a few lines and a close-up early in the episode to boot so you can fully tell its him, even if he's not in much of the rest of the episode. In this regard, he was luckier than another kid who would go on to bigger things, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who appeared in an episode in 1990 ("Sheer Madness"), age 9, and was so fleetingly in it ( a flash of the side of his face for a half second, and then maybe a 2 second shot after that with no lines) that it almost was subliminal.

35 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

JAMES COCO plays THE WIZARD of the title: “HORRIBLE HORATIO”- An amusement park owner who is murdered in his chamber of horrors.

It’s where the part in the credits sequence where Jessica peers through the cob web strewn dungeon bars comes from. It also has a giant papier-mâché head of James Coco.

(Which is really truly something to behold.)

Vincent price would’ve been much better in the part tho)

Joaquin Phoenix as a child is *impossible* to recognize, never in 1 million years would I have guessed it was him.

It’s a damn shame that Vincent price, in so far as I know and remember, never did an episode of “murder she wrote.”

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It’s a damn shame that Vincent price, in so far as I know and remember, never did an episode of “murder she wrote.”

How would you have played him?