Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

7 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

How would you have played him?

As in “cast” him? 

Well, right off hand I think VINCENT PRICE would’ve been sort of fabulous in the Jean Simmons role as the rival mystery novelist who snaps because of competition from Jessica and maybe commits MURDER! in the 2 part season 5 finale MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL ...

I mean Jean is fabulous, and it would involve a rewrite, but Vincent could do evil queen.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As in “cast” him? 

Well, right off hand I think VINCENT PRICE would’ve been sort of fabulous in the Jean Simmons role as the rival mystery novelist who snaps because of competition from Jessica and maybe commits MURDER! in the 2 part season 5 finale MIRROR, MIRROR ON THE WALL ...

I mean Jean is fabulous, and it would involve a rewrite, but Vincent could do evil queen.

Yes, cast is a better word. Here is an episode Vicent Price might have fit in:

The Legacy of Borbey House

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Yes, cast is a better word. Here is an episode Vicent Price might have fit in:

The Legacy of Borbey House

I was watching that very one this morning on uyay ube tay.

I think JOHNATHAN FRID would've been better in the part of the "vampire" than David Birney, but it is what it is. CHRISTOPHER NEAME from DRACULA AD 1972 is also in it as the "vampire's" manservant.

it's very DARK SHADOWS influenced with a touch of POE at the end.

advice to Contractors and Renovators: if you quit on JESSICA FLETCHER halfway through a remodel, SHE WILL NAIL YOUR BUTT FOR MURDER ONE.

(in re: WE'RE OFF TO KILL THE WIZARD)

FOUND A COUPLE OF PRICELESS IMAGES FROM THE EPISODE ON BING IMAGES:

1. THIS ONE WHICH LOOKS LIKE A PRODUCTION STILL FROM AN EXTRA-DARK LIVE ACTION VERSION OF THE SMURFS WHERE GARGAMEL IS (FINALLY) EXECUTED FOR WITCHCRAFT AND NECROMANCY:

x240-6Xp.jpg

AND

2. PRESENTED MIT OUT COMMENT BECAUSE, WELL, WHAT IS THERE TO SAY?:

f20t81p648n16.gif

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

As in “cast” him? 

The greatest Miss Marple of all is an English actress named Joan Hickson. She was Agatha Christie's choice for the part.

My favorite Agatha Christie Miss Marple is called "They Do It With Mirrors".

Miss Hickson portrayed Miss Marple in all 12 of Agatha Christie's novels for that character on a BBC series which lasted from 1984 to 1992.

The series was populated with all of those excellent British actors that we are so used to seeing.

However, for my favorite Miss Marple, "They Do It With Mirrors", The producers were able to get a real movie star, Jean Simmons, to play opposite Joan Hickson in 1991.

If this is the only one you ever get to see, I would suggest you try to get ahold of this one on DVD. Jean Simmons still had the beauty that is only understated in middle-aged and the vast experience that only comes from a career like hers. She is so vulnerable and beautiful in this role you just want her to be on camera all the time. Also There is a theme of nostalgia in this mystery that is very applicable to seeing a Golden Age movie star near the end of her career.

The plot is not difficult to get into however the cast is very convoluted due to the various relationships of the characters. If you've never seen Miss Marple before, this would be a terrific start for you.

And for those in the know, the great English actor Joss Ackland co-stars as Jean's husband.

• Like 1

OMG!

VANISHING POINT w/ BARRY (née Budget Paul) NEWMAN IN ON TCM right now!

!

Obviously coincidence has chosen to give me a film schooling!

PS – I’m still feeling guilty for making that “budget Paul” joke, really he was very good in the episode

Somebody said earlier of the episodes being cut a bit on TV. This is true. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries and WGN America have cut the episodes a little bit. Usually its not overly noticeable, but it is more noticeable on little moments that are wonderful in favorite episodes. There was a 1989 episode called Town Father, and the TV edit on one of the channels cuts out a priceless little reaction shot from Kathryn Grayson after Gloria De Haven makes a catty comment toward Julie Adams. It's a tiny moment, but in part because it was so funny, its much missed on the edit.

• Like 1
On 5/31/2019 at 2:57 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

funny you should mention that, because I was thinking that the first episode i would profile (and the one i would say- grudgingly- is my favorite) IS THE MOST VIOLENT OF THE SERIES, the season 5 episode:

SNOW WHITE, BLOOD RED, aka THE ONE WHERE SHE IS AT A "SKI LODGE" AND BY "SKY LODGE" WE MEAN A WINTER TIME BACKDROP WE'VE HAD ON THE UNIVERSAL LOT SINCE SIRK USED IT IN "ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS."

It is delicious.

(spoilers are included, so DON'T READ if you haven;t seen it, because with the exception of the BUS STOP, STICKS AND STONES and CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS- it has the cleverest exposition of the series.

i VIVIDLY RECALL seeing it on tv in 1988 with my dad and being shocked, and intrigued by the violence.

was there ever another episode of MsW with a higher body count? (this one has three)

Jessica is trapped by a blizzard at a ski resort RUN by a husband and wife-

HE is played by the lead from CRIMES OF PASSION and the actor playing him seems visibly strung out on drugs.

(I have noticed this from a lot of the younger men guesting on MsW)

SHE is played by an actress with a PRIME EXAMPLE OF MURDER, SHE HAIR.

I TRIED SO HARD to find an image of her from this episode to post here,but ALAS  i did not.

[just imagine IN THE place of said photo that- on a dare- REBA MCINTYRE ca. 1991 decided to French kiss an electric eel and someone got a snap of the end result.]

with the help of [seen below] BUDGET PAUL NEWMAN and COL SANDERS FROM "SPACEBALLS" (a vacationing NYPD detective staying at the inn with his wife who looks like Yvonne DeCarlo's older half-sister whose father was a badger; and a vacationing gynecologist Jessica strongarms into being a VERY RELUCTANT makeshift coroner/medical examiner on the spot) MRS. F looks into WHO KILLED GUNNER, THE INVINCIBLE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD OF THE SLOPES (one of my favorite MURDER SHE VICTIMS ever) and then another guy and then the drunken, belligerent coach of the men's olympic bobsled(?) (slolum?) team during the storm.

hqdefault.jpg

11352129_1497908307167388_1474756512_n.j

KEY FACT LEARNED: if you shoot a corpse, he doesn't bleed.

THIS EPISODE IS NOTABLE FOR ITS DUAL ENTRY TO THE MURDER, SHE HAIR HALL OF INFAMY.

THIS:

19246.jpgNow, I'm not one to OVERTHINK things,

but I put it to you that:

the wife/accomplice  of a longtime, professional hired hitman would want to choose a hairstyle that would cause her to BLEND IN, to seem UNMEMORABLE to any witnesses, to not stand out in anyone's memory

...and not, you know, something that would make complete strangers stand still in the hallways and cry out "SISTER MARY FRANCIS! Did you do that ON PURPOSE or what?!" as she passed by.

This one is in my TOP TEN of Murder fave episodes! Unusually violent for the show with a twist at the end that I didn't see coming. THE SKUNK LADY!!! Does anyone know the actress' name?

• Like 1
14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Somebody said earlier of the episodes being cut a bit on TV. This is true. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries and WGN America have cut the episodes a little bit. Usually its not overly noticeable, but it is more noticeable on little moments that are wonderful in favorite episodes. There was a 1989 episode called Town Father, and the TV edit on one of the channels cuts out a priceless little reaction shot from Kathryn Grayson after Gloria De Haven makes a catty comment toward Julie Adams. It's a tiny moment, but in part because it was so funny, its much missed on the edit.

YES. Sometimes I notice it, other times not. They edit the opening montage as well in the beginning

26 minutes ago, Hibi said:

This one is in my TOP TEN of Murder fave episodes! Unusually violent for the show with a twist that I didn't guess at the end. THE SKUNK LADY!!! Does anyone know the actress' name?

RONNIE CLAIRE EDWARDS, she died in 2016 and was also on THE WALTONS.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0250329/

19 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I SALUTE YOUR HARDCORE MURDER, SHE FANDOM!

(PSST- the episode "Town Father" can- at the moment at least- be seen unedited on u yay ube tay.... as can the other beauty parlor eps A BODY TO DIE FOR and IF ITS THURSDAY IT MUST BE BEVERLY.)

• Like 1

According to IMDb, running times were 48 minutes for MSW. Runtimes for CBS' Madam Secretary are 45 minutes.

Watching Michael Rennie in season one of Lost In Space took 51 minutes.

The older shows ran longer. So Hallmark M&M / WGN-A has to edit.

A huge plus to DVD would be no commercials and no splash-screen promos.

1 minute ago, Michael Rennie said:

Runtimes for CBS' Madam Secretary are 45 minutes.

That's even a few minutes longer than I expected. Many "hour-long" shows these days run 41/42 minutes without commercials. One show recently, and I can't recall which, ran 39 minutes without commercials.

39 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Hmmph! What about me???

You told me you don’t like to watch things on your computer! 

(But if you do, for whatever reason there’s like 100 episodes of murder she wrote on that particular website right now, full and commercial free. I have no idea why, they’re probably gonna be pulled any second)

Including the one in Jamaica with the Scooby Doo ending and Herd Hatfield

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Wasn't referring to that, just the fandom part!

Ok, we’re all equal levels of MURDER, SHE NERDS  around here...In fact, I readily admit that my knowledge of all things MURDER SHE WROTE is probably like a six or seven out of 10...

I’m sure there’s people out there who can, like exactly quote the episodes Or name them off by title in the order of seasons.

Or tell you exactly how many appearances William Windam made is Dr. Seth Hazlitt

(53?)

11 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Ok, we’re all equal levels of MURDER, SHE NERDS  around here...In fact, I readily admit that my knowledge of all things MURDER SHE WROTE is probably like a six or seven out of 10...

I’m sure there’s people out there who can, like exactly quote the episodes Or name them off by title in the order of seasons.

Or tell you exactly how many appearances William Windam made is Dr. Seth Hazlitt

(53?)

LOL! Probably. (not me).

2 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Murder She Wrote 4.9 “Trouble in Eden”

MSW4-9-Decor.jpg

There's another great line later in the episode. (another throwaway moment) Two ladies of the night are siting in the main parlor after the bordello has been closed early and when goes "What are we supposed to do now all night? Watch television?" And another responds "Too bad all your favorite shows are on Saturday morning."

If I had to say offhand without anything in front of me to consult, I would say offhand my favorite episodes are:

CROSSED UP

THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS

SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMEONE BLUE

TRIAL BY ERROR

JESSICA BEHIND BARS

CORNED BEEF AND CARNAGE

STICKS AND STONES

MOURNING AMONG THE WISTERIAS

IF ITS THURSDAY IT MUST BE BEVERLY

DANSE MACABRE

THE JAMAICA VOODOO ONE 

THE SINS OF CASTLE COVE

KEEP THE HOME FRIES BURNING

AND OF COURSE THE AFOREMENTIONED SNOW WHITE, BLOOD RED.

• Like 1