Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

According to IMDb users, their highest rated episode is WHO KILLED JB FLETCHER? From, I think, season eight, but that is not on Amazon prime or online as far as I can see.

I’ve seen it before, but outside of Marie Windsor playing one of the old ladies in Jessica’s fan club, I don’t remember anything else about it

I can't say that I know the episodes by name. I may know them by descriptions, like "the one with the Indian who claims to own Cabot Cove", or "the one with country music people (Florence Henderson?)", or "the one at the jazz club", or "the one with a bunch of writers on a TV talk show", or "the one where Jessica gets stuck in a women's prison with Adrienne Barbeau".

38 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I can't say that I know the episodes by name. I may know them by descriptions, like "the one with the Indian who claims to own Cabot Cove", or "the one with country music people (Florence Henderson?)", or "the one at the jazz club", or "the one with a bunch of writers on a TV talk show", or "the one where Jessica gets stuck in a women's prison with Adrienne Barbeau".

Only reason I know them by name is because I’ve been watching them on Amazon prime and it list the episodes names. Although they do always list the title of the episode in the opening credits along with the guest stars.

”THE ONE WITH...” However is a 100% acceptable way to describe any episode of any TV show and get your point across.

PS – I absolutely know the ones that you’re talking about, including INDIAN GIVER- Where the “Indian” claims to own Cabot Cove – and it is one of the worst episodes of the series. Just tacky.

9 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I am similar to Lawrence. I don't pay real close attention to the episode names. A small clue or mention of guest stars works better. By now, I've probably seen all MSW episodes.

To be fair though, some of the episode titles are pretty damn funny or in some cases more clever than the episode itself- such As the season two finale IF THE FRAME FITS, About a father who frames his daughters husband for her murder when it is apparent that it was a burglar who did it.

Turns out the husband really was guilty in the end.

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

To be fair though, some of the episode titles are pretty damn funny or in some cases more clever than the episode itself- such As the season two finale IF THE FRAME FITS, About a father who frames his daughters husband for her murder when it is apparent that it was a burglar who did it.

Reveal hidden contents

Turns out the husband really was guilty in the end.

while I'm on it...I watched this particular episode last night, and it is in so many ways QUINTESSENTIAL MsW

it's akin to the end result of putting some caramel cubes into a waffle iron- terrible, yet delicious at the same time.

It contains a HALL OF SHAME performance from  John de Lancie. [edit] (later Q on STAR TREK: TNG) that must be SEEN TO BE BELIEVED. His costars visibly wince in their reaction shots:

John%20de%20Lancie%20%20'Murder,%20She%2

it contains an equally "out there" turn from THIS GUY:

Norman%20Lloyd%20%20'Murder,%20She%20Wro

wHO i WAS GOING to joke that, were he still alive, he'd make a great LIVE ACTION MR BURNS and then I went to imdb and HOLY **** THIS DUDE IS STILL ALIVE AT 105!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

way to outlive VIGODA, Sir.

It also features STATELY WAYNE MANOR, which ties with JOHN RHYS DAVIES for MsW appearances- I think we see the genuine interior in this episode and it is the 1986est thing I have ever seen. There is a giant BOULDER/STONEHENGE THING IN THE CORNER OF ONE SHOT THAT IS NVER EXPLAINED, BUT THEY LITERALLY HAVE a 1/4 size model black onyx STONEHENGE IN THEIR LIVING ROOM.

God, I loved the 80's.

the episode centers around yuppie culture and nouveau-riche fans of abstract splatter art- the examples used in this episode look like what would happen if JACKSON PO LL ACK kept bouncing checks at the liquor store and had to switch to drinking Kerosene.

EDIT: (Otto doesn't like Jackson's last name. Seriously.)

There is also THE TEXTBOOK DEFINITION OF MURDER SHE HAIR on this episode and SADLY i cannot find a google or bing image of it. SOMEONE NEEDS TO START A MURDER SHE HAIR "PIN" ON PINTEREST. (you will be doing THE LORD'S WORK)

I'll approximate my theory of what happened on the set the day said coif was born, if it helps:

MURDER SHE WROTE HAIRDRESSER:

"Honey, let me tell you, the hour and a half I spent frying the **** out of the first two inches of your hair and bangs was WORTH IT. They are MURDERED, I mean DONE Honey! Now let me do something about this unconditioned, mouse-brown, straw mop/horsetail thing you got hanging down in the back...What? They need you on set right now? Oh dear. Well, tell them- no matter what- NOT TO FILM YOU FROM BEHIND, OK HUN? TRUST. Kisses. NOW WILL SOMEONE BRING ME AUDREY MEADOWS WIG?!"

(and they filmed half her shots from behind...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

According to IMDb users, their highest rated episode is WHO KILLED JB FLETCHER? From, I think, season eight, but that is not on Amazon prime or online as far as I can see.

I’ve seen it before, but outside of Marie Windsor playing one of the old ladies in Jessica’s fan club, I don’t remember anything else about it

Is that the one with Jane Withers? I only vaguely remember it.

14 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

LOL. That's how I remember them.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. They never aired the title of the episodes when they were on tv, so it would be impossible to know them. I don't know why they did that.

DON'T GET MAD, but I beg to differ- the titles of the episodes always run onscreen in quotes every episode before the cast is listed alphabetically....and they did when it ran on CBS back on the day too.

some people have used this fact to formulate a fan theory that every episode in in fact a book JB Fletcher wrote.

14 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

If I had to say offhand without anything in front of me to consult, I would say offhand my favorite episodes are:

CROSSED UP

THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS

SOMETHING BORROWED, SOMEONE BLUE

TRIAL BY ERROR

JESSICA BEHIND BARS

CORNED BEEF AND CARNAGE

STICKS AND STONES

MOURNING AMONG THE WISTERIAS

IF ITS THURSDAY IT MUST BE BEVERLY

DANSE MACABRE

THE JAMAICA VOODOO ONE 

THE SINS OF CASTLE COVE

KEEP THE HOME FRIES BURNING

AND OF COURSE THE AFOREMENTIONED SNOW WHITE, BLOOD RED.

I'd put the PETRIFIED FLORIST in there too, which borrows a trick from an Eddie G. movie which is clever. Sally Kellerman and Penny Fuller were in it. Later in the series (unsure when) about competing scandal rags in Hollywood.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DON'T GET MAD, but I beg to differ- the titles of the episodes always run onscreen in quotes every episode before the cast is listed alphabetically....and they did when it ran on CBS back on the day too.

some people have used this fact to formulate a fan theory that every episode in in fact a book JB Fletcher wrote.

Odd, I don't remember that! I must've had a brain f-rt......And I even watch the re-runs. I guess I never watch the credits now. LOL.

Just now, Hibi said:

Odd, I don't remember that! I must've had a brain f-rt......And I even watch the re-runs. I guess I never watch the credits now. LOL.

totally understandable.

90% of why I watch MsW is for the MISSING PERSONS BUREAU-like file of actors from ye past, so I always watch the credits carefully so I can go "OMG BETSY PALMER!" or "OMG JANE GREER!" or "OMG STUART WHITMAN AGAIN!?!"

it's a lot of fun for me.

seriously tho- I think STUART WHITMAN just lived in a janitor's closet on the Universal Lot from 1984-1986 and came out into the light every so often when they had a part from him on MsW...

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It contains a HALL OF SHAME performance from ROBIN STRAND (later Q on STAR TREK: TNG) that must be SEEN TO BE BELIEVED. His costars visibly wince in their reaction shots:

John%20de%20Lancie%20%20'Murder,%20She%2

The pictured fellow, and the one who played Q on Star Trek, is John de Lancie. I first knew him as Eugene on Days of Our Lives in the early 80's.

Robin Strand, who I'm unfamiliar with, is this guy:

120318.jpg

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The pictured fellow, and the one who played Q on Star Trek, is John de Lancie. I first knew him as Eugene on Days of Our Lives in the early 80's.

Robin Strand, who I'm unfamiliar with, is this guy:

120318.jpg

DAMN IT!

THANKS FOR THE CORRECTION!

I should not have trusted my "memory" of perusing the eps credits on imdb from last night!

i think i was so genuinely stunned that this guy is still alive:

Norman%20Lloyd%20%20'Murder,%20She%20Wro

i got some names mixed up after the fact.

(NORMAN LLOYD is his name. He was in SABOTEUR (1941) and TRAINWRECK (2015) and possibly some of EDISON'S EARLY KINESCOPES, I'm not really sure. 

• Haha 1

oh no.

we fell to page three.

and we can't have that.

if any of you have friends who are RAGING ALCOHOLICS, then I recommend the MURDER, SHE DRINKING GAME wherein at the sight of one of the following MURDER, SHE TROPES someone takes a belt/hit/whatever:

MURDER SHE, FERNS- Pay attention next time, but some Greensperson or Cahuenga Blvd Florist made bank during the entire run of MsW, in (nearly) EVERY HOTEL ROOM, SET CORNER, DR'S OFFICE, {OFFICE PERIOD},HALLWAY, WHATEVER- even in one house that is old and in disrepair in one episode [BENEDICT ARNOLD SLIPPED HERE, in case you wanted to know} THERE IS AT LEAST ONE IF NOT SEVERAL LUSH BOSTON FERNS IN THE SHOT. tHERE'S probably a MsW where a jail cell has a boston fern in the corner. Maybe i'm prejudiced from being from the south (hush)- but i don't consider a boston fern in any way a houseplant. even when i lived in southern california, i would not consider it so. and When is the last time you stayed in a hotel room that had a boston fern?

JESSICA SAYS "OH DEAR LORD"- HER 4 out of 10 CATCHPHRASE WHEN JESSIE FINDS THE BODY. Also used when someone tries to run her down or someone has torched the Cabot Cove Lighthouse, or any number of other situations when you or I would likely say "HOLY ****- THAT'S A DEAD GUY!"

MURDER SHE SEQUITOR- someone makes a benign remark about something mundane and Jessica has them say it again and then has an "AHA MOMENT" where you or I or anyone who didn't do acid in the 60's would not link WHAT HAS JUST BEEN SAID to the evidence that convicts someone of a crime, but she sure does. IE: Seth mentions he needs an onion for his chowder and Jess deduces from this that the killer was , in fact, BILLY BARTY standing on stilts and wearing a long trench.

those three are enough to get you wasted, but also I have noticed JESSICA refers to female guest stars as "child" a lot, to the point where i wonder if the writers were effin with Angela for funsies.

I'm also amused by how many large hotels Jessica stays in in NEW YORK, CHICAGO, BOSTON, etc, that have working fireplaces in their rooms. Wonder what their annual insurance premiums for this was. Just trusting their guests with open flames...did that happen in the 80's?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

oh no.

we fell to page three.

and we can't have that.

if any of you have friends who are RAGING ALCOHOLICS, then I recommend the MURDER, SHE DRINKING GAME wherein at the sight of one of the following MURDER, SHE TROPES someone takes a belt/hit/whatever:

MURDER SHE, FERNS- Pay attention next time, but some Greensperson or Cahuenga Blvd Florist made bank during the entire run of MsW, in (nearly) EVERY HOTEL ROOM, SET CORNER, DR'S OFFICE, {OFFICE PERIOD},HALLWAY, WHATEVER- even in one house that is old and in disrepair in one episode [BENEDICT ARNOLD SLIPPED HERE, in case you wanted to know} THERE IS AT LEAST ONE IF NOT SEVERAL LUSH BOSTON FERNS IN THE SHOT. tHERE'S probably a MsW where a jail cell has a boston fern in the corner. Maybe i'm prejudiced from being from the south (hush)- but i don't consider a boston fern in any way a houseplant. even when i lived in southern california, i would not consider it so. and When is the last time you stayed in a hotel room that had a boston fern?

JESSICA SAYS "OH DEAR LORD"- HER 4 out of 10 CATCHPHRASE WHEN JESSIE FINDS THE BODY. Also used when someone tries to run her down or someone has torched the Cabot Cove Lighthouse, or any number of other situations when you or I would likely say "HOLY ****- THAT'S A DEAD GUY!"

MURDER SHE SEQUITOR- someone makes a benign remark about something mundane and Jessica has them say it again and then has an "AHA MOMENT" where you or I or anyone who didn't do acid in the 60's would not link WHAT HAS JUST BEEN SAID to the evidence that convicts someone of a crime, but she sure does. IE: Seth mentions he needs an onion for his chowder and Jess deduces from this that the killer was , in fact, BILLY BARTY standing on stilts and wearing a long trench.

those three are enough to get you wasted, but also I have noticed JESSICA refers to female guest stars as "child" a lot, to the point where i wonder if the writers were effin with Angela for funsies.

LOL. Well we cant have that (3rd page!) Thanks. I hadn't noticed the Dear Lords, but we cant have Jessica swearing! Or the Boston Ferns. I'll look for them from now on. Jessica stores all these factoids in her noggin and when something comes up that reminds her of something. BINGO!

• Like 1

82 favorite episodes by season:

Hit, Run, and Homicide

Death Takes a Curtain Call

Murder Takes the Bus

Widow Weep for Me

Joshua Peabody Died Here Possibly

Murder in the Afternoon

School for Scandal

Sticks and Stones

Trial by Error

Keep the home Fries Burning

If a Body Meet a Body

Obituary for a Dead Anchor

The Corpse Flew First Class

Crossed Up

Simon Says, Color Me Dead

No Accounting for Murder

The Days Dwindle Down

Witness for the Defense

Old Habits Die Hard

The Way to Dusty Death

If It's Thursday, It Must Be Beverly

Steal Me a Story

Trouble in Eden

Who Threw the Barbitals in Mrs. Fletcher's Chowder

Mourning Among the Wisterias

Mr. Penroy's Vacation

The Wearing of the Green

Something Borrowed, Someone Blue

Weave a Tangled Web

Smooth Operators

The Sins of Castle Cove

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

Appointment in Athens

Seal of the Confessional

Jack and Bill (one of the few bookend episodes that worked for me)

Dead Letter

Test of Wills

Town Father

If the Shoe Fits

The Big Show of 1965

How to Make a Killing Without Really Trying

The Fixer-Upper

Sheer Madness

Deadly Misunderstanding

The Family Jewels

A Body to Die For

Who Killed JB Fletcher?