Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

WOW. That's quite a list. Had you made this in the past?

Just now, Hibi said:

I need to watch that one again. it was on about a month ago, but I didnt watch it.

It's a treat to watch. Desite the high body count, its one of the series funniest episodes.

I'm very very hungry for episodes from seasons 6, 7, and 8.  AMAZON PRIME only offers seasons 1-5 and there are a very few online (Some strong titles that are though- THE RETURN OF PRESTON GILES, about the first case she ever solved (her publisher was the killer) and provides a rare chance for Angela to ACT (they were romantically involved); as well as A TEST OF WILLS (an OLD DARK HOUSE sort of romp) and THE JAMAICAN SCOOBY VOODOO ONE- which both BRING the CAMP game every bit as HARD as some of the season one episodes.)

i REALLY WISH i could see DANSE MACABRE again THOUGH!!!

i'm sure some of you know this, but Angela was gonna quit after season 5 (that's why the ending of the two part JEAN SIMMONS "MIRROR MIRROR" episode seems SO odd- it was supposed to be, I think, Jessica and Seth sailing off into the sunset together as the series finale- as it is, I think of this episode as official validation that from hereon, these two are knocking boots.)

they talked her into coming back (i think they put a wad of cash in an extra big raccoon trap on a soundstage on the Uni Lot)- and while the "bookend" episodes FLOPPED**- they did innovate in another way that worked- partially relocating Jess to NEW YORK and having her introduced to the murder mystery in a much more organic way than "THE ANGEL OF DEATH HAS COME FOR A VISIT, BRACE YOURSELVES FOR THE INEVITABLE SLEEP WHICH WE ALL MUST FACE" manner of the first few seasons.

**DENNIS STANTON eats it RAW.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I'm very very hungry for episodes from seasons 6, 7, and 8.  AMAZON PRIME only offers seasons 1-5 and there are a very few online (Some strong titles that are though- THE RETURN OF PRESTON GILES, about the first case she ever solved (her publisher was the killer) and provides a rare chance for Angela to ACT (they were romantically involved); as well as A TEST OF WILLS (an OLD DARK HOUSE sort of romp) and THE JAMAICAN SCOOBY VOODOO ONE- which both BRING the CAMP game every bit as HARD as some of the season one episodes.)

i REALLY WISH i could see DANSE MACABRE again THOUGH!!!

i'm sure some of you know this, but Angela was gonna quit after season 5 (that's why the ending of the two part JEAN SIMMONS "MIRROR MIRROR" episode seems SO odd- it was supposed to be, I think, Jessica and Seth sailing off into the sunset together as the series finale- as it is, I think of this episode as official validation that from hereon, these two are knocking boots.)

they talked her into coming back (i think they put a wad of cash in an extra big raccoon trap on a soundstage on the Uni Lot)- and while the "bookend" episodes FLOPPED**- they did innovate in another way that worked- partially relocating Jess to NEW YORK and having her introduced to the murder mystery in a much more organic way than "THE ANGEL OF DEATH HAS COME FOR A VISIT, BRACE YOURSELVES FOR THE INEVITABLE SLEEP WHICH WE ALL MUST FACE" manner of the first few seasons.

**DENNIS STANTON eats it RAW.

I thought it was later in the series Angela wanted to bail? I know by the time the last episode was filmed she hadn't decided. So they filmed it too ways. Sheriff Metzger said And That's All She Wrote at the end. In one version she winked at the camera and that's what they ended up using as she decided to resign. Was that really the Jean Simmons one? Hallmark edits them it may not even be shown now.

After checking imdb, it appears we are both right! I had not heard she had wanted to quit after season five. Was that when they instituted the guest sleuths to induce her to stay? She also came close to quitting at the end of season seven! That's when they shot the two versions of the ending. She was made Executive Producer of the show (from season 8 till the end) as an inducement to stay on.

• Thanks 1

I watched that episode with Joaquin Phoenix last night. It was only passable, in my estimation, but it had some funny bits. The description of James Coco looking like Gargamel from The Smurfs was dead-on. I also liked the giant animatronic James Coco face. I wonder whatever became of it. Phoenix played the son of Jessica's niece, so that means he's related to Jessica as well. What a family tree.

LOL. So many nieces and nephews, but you never saw the parents. I read in some imdb trivia that one of her brothers appeared in one episode, but I don't remember that.

33 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I watched that episode with Joaquin Phoenix last night. It was only passable, in my estimation, but it had some funny bits. The description of James Coco looking like Gargamel from The Smurfs was dead-on. I also liked the giant animatronic James Coco face. I wonder whatever became of it. Phoenix played the son of Jessica's niece, so that means he's related to Jessica as well. What a family tree.

She had so many nieces and nephews in the early years. They actually have a tongue-in-cheek Wikipedia entry for Jessica Fletcher (even though she's just a character) that tries to break down that famous family tree of hers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Fletcher

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Nope. Just made yesterday.

WOW. I couldn't begin to compile a list. Oh, I was checking the cable guide and Jessica Walter is appearing, I think on Sat. night on the Hallmark ones. We know what's going to happen to her! (I forget which episode it was.)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

She had so many nieces and nephews in the early years. They actually have a tongue-in-cheek Wikipedia entry for Jessica Fletcher (even though she's just a character) that tries to break down that famous family tree of hers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Fletcher

Thanks! Never knew they bothered to create a back-history for her on the show.

• Like 1

Just now, Hibi said:

WOW. I couldn't begin to compile a list. Oh, I was checking the cable guide and Jessica Walter is appearing, I think on Sat. night on the Hallmark ones. We know what's going to happen to her! (I forget which one it was.)

Probably, given that they go through the episodes chonologically, its Murder in the Afternoon which means she's going to get shot. What's strange about that episode is though is that it is one of the (hopefully small, or perhaps its the only one) few episodes where a guest star in the episode died before it aired. This episode aired according to IMDB on October 13, 1985, and Lloyd Nolan passed away on September 27th of that year.

No, they dont really run them in order on Hallmark. And some times certain episodes are repeated more than others. They really jump around.

9 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. So many nieces and nephews, but you never saw the parents. I read in some imdb trivia that one of her brothers appeared in one episode, but I don't remember that.

it's the one where she goes on a cruise with her niece whose husband has died and SOMEONE IS PLAYING MIND GAMES WITH HER. It's called MY JOHNNY LIES OVER THE OCEAN and LESLIE NEILSON IS THE CAPTAIN.

they filmed it on the QUEEN MARY and ANGIE does her boozy DEATH ON THE NILE SCHTICK as a way to catch the killer

Jessica's brother (seen briefly as before they leave port)  is played by JASON EVERS of THE BRAIN/HEAD THAT WOULDN'T/COULDN'T DIE "fame."

edit- he asks someone to take a picture of them and it proves the key to solving the murder

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

it's the one where she goes on a cruise with her niece whose husband has died and SOMEONE IS PLAYING MIND GAMES WITH HER. It's called MY JOHNNY LIES OVER THE OCEAN and LESLIE NEILSON IS THE CAPTAIN.

they filmed it on the QUEEN MARY and ANGIE does her boozy DEATH ON THE NILE SCHTICK as a way to catch the killer

Her brother is played by JASON EVERS of THE BRAIN/HEAD THAT WOULDN'T/COULDN'T DIE "fame."

Its amazing that they would Leslie Nielsen pilot the boat since the last time he played the captain was in a certain little film called The Poseidon Adventure, and let's just say that one didn't have a happy ending like The Love Boat!

• Haha 1

I vaguely remember that one. I remember the neice being on the cruise, but not her brother. I'll have to watch for it. It was one of the early ones. Maybe first season?

OMG! Not the actor from JAN IN THE PAN????????? Now this is on my MUST SEE LIST!

Just now, CinemaInternational said:

Its amazing that they would Leslie Nielsen pilot the boat since the last time he played the captain was in a certain little film called The Poseidon Adventure, and let's just say that one didn't have a happy ending like The Love Boat!

I think it was deliberate. ALSO, no worries, JOANNE WORLEY (sp?) of LAUGH IN fame is in this episode, so they've got the ALARM SYSTEM COVERED!

WHOOOOP! WHOOOOP! WHOOOOOOP!

• Haha 1

Just now, Hibi said:

I vaguely remember that one. I remember the neice being on the cruise, but not her brother. I'll have to watch for it. It was one of the early ones. Maybe first season?

First year, correct. Will be on TV this week.

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES SEASON ONe.

He is in the ep for all of a minute and half. first ten minutes, before the boat "leaves" port.

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I think it was deliberate. ALSO, no worries, JOANNE WORLEY (sp?) of LAUGH IN fame is in this episode, so they've got the ALARM SYSTEM COVERED!

WHOOOOP! WHOOOOP! WHOOOOOOP!

LMREO! This was on recently. Wish I'd recorded it! :(

2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

YES SEASON ON.

He is in the ep for all of a minute and half. first ten minutes, before the boat "leaves" port.

Why bother? LOL.

3 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

First year, correct. Will be on TV this week.

Hope it hasnt already been on. I'll check the listing tonight. I don't remember much of the plot except for the tricks part. Dont spoil it! :D

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this is him in the ep:

157c00369e12c8a42b882f4ccd2ba30f.jpg

So he's on just to say goodbye? LOL.