• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

So he's on just to say goodbye? LOL.

but (and this isn't a spoiler) it's critical to the solving of the MURDER!

The Queen Mary episode was on last night! So I was able to record it.

• Thanks 2

I may have been able to find DANSE DIABOLIQUE (aka THE ONE WHERE THE BALLET THAT HAS KILLED THE BALLERINA THE TWO PREVIOUS TIMES IT'S BEEN PERFORMED PROVES THAT THE THIRD TIME IS NOT ALWAYS THE CHARM) online...

ac_Murder__She_Wrote__Season_8_8_11.jpg

some freeform notes-

There are legit good episodes of MURDER SHE WROTE and there are bad episodes of MURDER SHE WROTE and then there are GOOD BAD EPISODES OF MURDER SHE WROTE, and this one is in the top tier of category three without argument.

i ABSOLUTELY ADORE the premise that a Ballet that has killed the lead Ballerina the two times it has been performed is being staged again in SAN FRANCISCO by what WE ARE INFORMED IS A LEGIT PROFESSIONAL BALLET TROUPE and yet- THE 100% FAITHFUL TO THE ORIGINAL CLASSIC BALLET- includes, insofar as I can tell, NOT ONE SINGLE LEGIT BALLET MOVE. This is basically BLACK SWAN if NATALIE PORTMAN hadn't used the double.

and I love it.

I also ADORED how the set design consisted of A RED TINSEL BACKDROP THAT WOULD NOT CUT IT AS A CURTAIN ON REGIONAL TRYOUTS OF "STAR SEARCH" and TWO bags of DRY ICE in the center of the stage.

You know, one time NUREYEV REFUSED to perform SLEEPING BEAUTY at the MOSCOW BALLET because they could only come up with ONE BAG of DRY ICE.

(hard times in the USSR)

MARISA BERENSON is the inexplicably 45 year old PRIMA BALLERINA who is being upstaged by the female version of GUNNER from the SNOW WHJITE, BLOOD RED EPISODE.

STEPHEN "PATCH" NICHOLS (with both eyes) who was PATCH on DAYS OF OUR LIVES gives one of the MOST AMUSINGLY BAD PERFORMANCES I CAN RECALL, not just on MSW, but anything, he also insists on wearing SLEEVELESS SHIRTS even though he has all the muscle tone of JIMMY CARTER. 

I genuinely think the guy playing the POLICE DETECTIVE was a wino they found on SKID ROW and paid with a fifth of JIM BEAM. That's honestly not anything against his performance- he's committed to getting that fifth- but it's rough around the edges....beguilingly so at times.

The BEST PART OF THIS EP (for me) is when the PRODUCERS OF THE BALLET BEG JESSICA TO REMAIN BEHIND IN SAN FRANCISCO BECAUSE THEY NEED HER AS A "GOOD LUCK CHARM" TO ***PREVENT*** A DEATH OCCURING UNDER THE EXACT CIRCUMSTANCES WHICH IT HAS OCCURED TWICE BEFORE.

This was also known as "that moment on a Sunday night in 1988 when 19.3 million people in America simultaneously asked "um, do you KNOW who you're talking to?!"

Just 42 minutes of PURE, UNFETTERED CAMP and I LOVED IT.

PS- also an interesting case of MALE MURDER SHE HAIR- all the women in this episode are pretty sedately coiffed, but WOW, the men offer some POWER MULLETS.

I apologize if this is too much information, but I just now came across the episode of murder she wrote Where the killer was played by someone who I hooked up with a couple times when I lived in LA.

(no, it wasn’t Van Johnson)

8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I apologize if this is too much information, but I just now came across the episode of murder she wrote Where the killer was played by someone who I hooked up with a couple times when I lived in LA.

William Windom?

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

William Windom?

I can think of some terrific guys from that show--

Robert Vaughn

Monte Markham

Steve Forrest

Alan Young

Max Baer Jr

And if I have to stop I'll have to stop, I'll stop with Ben Casey.

Black and white is dramatic but oh my, those guys looked good in Technicolor.

( Craig Stevens and Robert Stack and now I'll stop.) LOL

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

William Windom?

Nah...ALTHOUGH, Have you seen him when he was on “Star Trek”? He had a certain gruff, rumpled handsomeness...

I’ve never entirely figured out why, maybe it has something to do with bypassing copyright laws, but sometimes YouTube videos of shows or movies are sped up.

I just watched CURSE OF THE DAANAV (The one where Seth reunites with his wealthy brother who is then murdered possibly over a cursed ruby) at I think 1.5 times the normal speed and it was fabulous. 

It was kind of like that scene in “boogie nights” between Rollergirl and Amber Waves where they’re talking about their plans for the future while COKED ALL THE HELL OUT. 

15 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

NAME NAMES!!!

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

NAME NAMES!!!

A lady never tells.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Besides, what is MURDER SHE THREAD without a little mystery?

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Nah...ALTHOUGH, Have you seen him when he was on “Star Trek”? He had a certain gruff, rumpled handsomeness...

Yeah, I didn't think so. I just had to mention him, though, as the night before I flipped by the Hallmark channel and that early episode where he was playing a different character was on.

5 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

He was nice looking in his Farmer's Daughter days...

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

A lady never tells.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Besides, what is MURDER SHE THREAD without a little mystery?

Damn! Who said you were a lady???? I'm assuming it was not a household name actor on the show?

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:53 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

but (and this isn't a spoiler) it's critical to the solving of the MURDER!

Saw the show. I remembered the killer as soon as I saw "them". (weren't many suspects). It's disconcerting to see Angela in the early episodes after seeing the later ones. She looks a good 20-25 lbs heavier. Almost like her own aunt! (Her hair got lighter as the show went on as well).

Not a great episode, but enjoyed the **** attendant who came on to Jessica (and any other female that moved)...

HO_TIE is censored???

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I didn't think so. I just had to mention him, though, as the night before I flipped by the Hallmark channel and that early episode where he was playing a different character was on.

FUNERAL AT FIFTY MILE with STELLA STEVENS.

Not one of my first season favorites.

4 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

FUNERAL AT FIFTY MILE with STELLA STEVENS.

Not one of my first season favorites.

Are you talking about Windom playing a character who wasn't Seth? I'd forgotten Stella Stevens was on the show. I know her son was. Does anyone know when Seth was introduced? 2nd season? Or end of the first? He played a suspect before he started playing Seth.

Also Sheriff Mort played a NY detective in an early episode before he became the Sheriff later on. (the episode with Paul Sand and Robert Reed).

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Are you talking about Windom playing a character who wasn't Seth? I'd forgotten Stella Stevens was on the show. I know her son was. Does anyone know when Seth was introduced? 2nd season? Or end of the first? He played a suspect before he started playing Seth.

Also Sheriff Mort played a NY detective in an early episode before he became the Sheriff later on. (the episode with Paul Sand and Robert Reed).

I remember SHERIFF MORT in the NO ACCOUNTING FOR MURDER EPISODE where Jessica visits Grady at the accounting firm in NYC and a homeless guy live sin the walls...he plays a CRAZY EDDIE STYLE Tv salesman

i think WINDHAM showed up some time in season 2- i can't recall his first episode, but i know he is an esential part of the FOOD POISONING AT THE JOSHUA PEABODY INN EPISODE. 

I can't remember when Seth first showed up either. Maybe Cinema Int'l would know. I guess Metzger showed up several times in the series before he inherited the Sheriff role...

I googled it. Seth first appeared in the fall of 1985, the second season. So he wasn't around the entire first season. I wonder how many Cabot Cove episodes there were in the first season? He was in 53 episodes (unsure if that includes the non-Seth role).

Yes, he was a suspect in one of the first season's episodes set out west. It's weird to watch it now after he's been Seth for so long.

6 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, he was a suspect in one of the first season's episodes set out west. It's weird to watch it now after he's been Seth for so long.

Season 1, Episode 22 (Last Episode). Funeral at Fifty-Miles.

From Fandom Wiki: "William Windom who played Dr. Seth Hazlett in most of the series, and appeared more than any other person, appeared first as a guest star in Murder, She Wrote: Funeral at Fifty-Mile (1985), as Sam Breen, a small town lawyer."

• Thanks 1

Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize he was in another series (briefly) while Murder was on. Parenthood. He was only in one episode of Murder that season. It only lasted 12 episodes.

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

I can't remember when Seth first showed up either. Maybe Cinema Int'l would know. I guess Metzger showed up several times in the series before he inherited the Sheriff role...

That would be the second episode of the second season, Joshua Peabody Died Here Possibly. (Seth's first appearance) Ron Masak, who played Metzger, showed up twice before becoming sheriff in season 5, in season 1's Footnote to Murder and in season 3's No Accounting for Murder.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Yes, that's the one. I didn't realize he was in another series (briefly) while Murder was on. Parenthood. He was only in one episode of Murder that season. It only lasted 12 episodes.

There's even an inside joke in one of the Windom-less episodes that year, A Body to Die For. At the end of the episode, Jessica hangs up after supposedly talking to him on the phone, saying to a man visiting her that he was with his daughter and new grandchild , causing the man to say "ah, the joys of Parenthood". Other than that season, Windom only missed one other Cabot Cove episode from season 2 onward: season 3's Obituary for a Dead Anchor, because he was off in Chicago filming his supporting part in the 1988 Kevin Bacon-Elizabeth McGovern-Alec Baldwin film She's Having a Baby.

Speaking of inside jokes on Murder She Wrote, few could be more biting then one in the last year, the year they were competing in part against Friends. One of the episodes that year was called "Murder Among Friends" and had Jessica searching for who killed the much hated female writer behind a popular sitcom called "Buds" about 5 or 6 young 20 somethings who whiled away their time in a cafe. Hmmmm....

• Like 2