Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Murder, She Wrote Appreciation Thread

Yes, that one was particularly spot on (Buds).  I never really paid attention to Seth's appearances or absences on the show at the time I was watching it back then.

• Like 1

I looked it up.

WILLIAM WINDHAM'S FIRST MURDER, SHE EPISODE is the 2nd episode of season 2 (the first CABOT COVE ep of that season)- JOSHUA PEABODY DIED HERE, POSSIBLY...about some digging to pour a foundation for a new resort hotel which uncovers, of course, a skeleton which may be the town founder JOSHUA PEABODY. JOHN ASTIN and MEG FOSTER (who some of you may remember from a lot of 90's releases) costar and it was filmed in MENDOCINO TOWNSHIP, CA (has some gorgeous scenery)

outside of an establishing shot of his office and maybe a quick line of expository dialogue introducing him, You wouldn't know it was his first episode, because the chemistry and relationship is JUST THERE (not just with Lansbury, but with TOM BOSLEY too), like- if this was Seth's 5th appearance, I wouldn't have been surprised.

contrast this with the VERY UNEASY onscreen relationship LANSBURY had with CLAUDE AKINS, who always acted in his recurring seaosn one role as if he was under the impression he was costarring in an update of THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR where MRS MUIR just happens to occasionally solve a murder.

I really wish they had murdered CLAUDE AKINS character, also because his name was ETHAN, and that is SUCH a STUPID name!

i CAN'T REMEMEBER if I mentioned this or not, but I watched the season 7 episode that WILLIAM WINDHAM did in between filming PARENTHOOD and it's interesting- it's called FAMILY DOCTOR and in it he and Jess, on a trip to Boston, eat at a mob-run restaraunt where a shooting occurs in the back alley. They are then kidnapped and held hostage at the Mafia Don's mansion while Seth has to operate. He and Lansbury share about equal screentime.

it's pretty clear to me- from watching the eps- that the cast and writers had a real affinity for SETH and his unoffical realtionship with Jessica.

I actually tried to find this online, but could not...

according to wikipedia, MURDER, SHE WROTE in its prime (and it was the #3 highest rated show for the whole year in its second season) regularly reached 30- and on occasion as many as OVER 40 million viewers.

Holy ****, those are BIG NUMBERS.

CURIOUS TO ANYONE WHO CAN FIND OUT: WHAT WAS THE HIGHEST RATED SINGLE EPISODE IN THE SERIES' HISTORY?

47 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I looked it up.

WILLIAM WINDHAM'S FIRST MURDER, SHE EPISODE is the 2nd episode of season 2 (the first CABOT COVE ep of that season)- JOSHUA PEABODY DIED HERE, POSSIBLY...about some digging to pour a foundation for a new resort hotel which uncovers, of course, a skeleton which may be the town founder JOSHUA PEABODY. JOHN ASTIN and MEG FOSTER (who some of you may remember from a lot of 90's releases) costar and it was filmed in MENDOCINO TOWNSHIP, CA (has some gorgeous scenery)

outside of an establishing shot of his office and maybe a quick line of expository dialogue introducing him, You wouldn't know it was his first episode, because the chemistry and relationship is JUST THERE (not just with Lansbury, but with TOM BOSLEY too), like- if this was Seth's 5th appearance, I wouldn't have been surprised.

contrast this with the VERY UNEASY onscreen relationship LANSBURY had with CLAUDE AKINS, who always acted in his recurring seaosn one role as if he was under the impression he was costarring in an update of THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR where MRS MUIR just happens to occasionally solve a murder.

I really wish they had murdered CLAUDE AKINS character, also because his name was ETHAN, and that is SUCH a STUPID name!

LOL. I forgot about the Claude AKins character, did he just disappear? What function did he play in town? I remember that episode, but didnt realize it was the first Seth one. Like you said could've been the fifth and no one would've been the wiser.

Yes, the bluffs and other establishing shots were filmed in Mendocino. Loretta's was there too.

51 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

i CAN'T REMEMEBER if I mentioned this or not, but I watched the season 7 episode that WILLIAM WINDHAM did in between filming PARENTHOOD and it's interesting- it's called FAMILY DOCTOR and in it he and Jess, on a trip to Boston, eat at a mob-run restaraunt where a shooting occurs in the back alley. They are then kidnapped and held hostage at the Mafia Don's mansion while Seth has to operate. He and Lansbury share about equal screentime.

it's pretty clear to me- from watching the eps- that the cast and writers had a real affinity for SETH and his unoffical realtionship with Jessica.

Yes, I remember that one.

49 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I actually tried to find this online, but could not...

according to wikipedia, MURDER, SHE WROTE in its prime (and it was the #3 highest rated show for the whole year in its second season) regularly reached 30- and on occasion as many as OVER 40 million viewers.

Holy ****, those are BIG NUMBERS.

CURIOUS TO ANYONE WHO CAN FIND OUT: WHAT WAS THE HIGHEST RATED SINGLE EPISODE IN THE SERIES' HISTORY?

Yes.  A LOT! Was less cable competition back then, but even so. Would be interesting to know. I found out recently that they wanted Doris Day (who turned the series down along with Jean Stapleton) to appear in an episode in the 90s. They agreed to her salary demands, but she wanted her son to get a producer credit and salary, and that they wouldn't agree to, so it never came to pass. Now THAT would've been interesting, esp. if Doris had been the KILLER!

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I forgot about the Claude AKins character, did he just disappear? What function did he play in town? I remember that episode, but didnt realize it was the first Seth one. Like you said could've been the fifth and no one would've been the wiser.

Yes, the bluffs and other establishing shots were filmed in Mendocino. Loretta's was there too.

Claude Akins is a great character actor, but he didn't fit into the laid-back atmosphere of Cabot Cove.

I believe he played the first sheriff in the town.

I love William Windom in the series. His character is more like a co-star than just a supporting player.

And I love the way he calls Jessica "Woman"-- that's so cute.

Their little dinner "dates" where she cooks for him are some of the best parts of the show.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yes, his character- ETHAN CRAIG- a crusty local seaman of some sort- vanished without an explanation** after his fourth season one episode.

(The sheriff was always either TOM BOSLEY or RON MASAK, with the exception of the one JOHN ASTIN episode. )

**I'M GOING TO TAKE A WILD STAB AND SAY HE WAS PROBABLY MURDERED IN AN UN-AIRED EPISODE "MURDER AT THREE-FORTY FIVE PM ON A MONDAY"

11 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Claude Akins is a great character actor, but he didn't fit into the laid-back atmosphere of Cabot Cove.

I believe he played the first sheriff in the town.

I love William Windom in the series. His character is more like a co-star than just a supporting player.

And I love the way he calls Jessica "Woman"-- that's so cute.

Their little dinner "dates" where she cooks for him are some of the best parts of the show.

Yes, I agree. He always wants a second helping of pie! They discuss the murder case over dinner. LOL.

I'll have to pay more attention to the 1st season Cabot Cove episodes. I don't usually watch the earlier ones.

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yes, his character- ETHAN CRAIG- a crusty local seaman of some sort- vanished without an explanation after his fourth season one episode.

(The sheriff was always either TOM BOSLEY or RON MASAK, with the exception of the one JOHN ASTIN episode. )

OK. I vaguely remember him now.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Yes, I agree. He always wants a second helping of pie! They discuss the murder case over dinner. LOL.

I'll have to pay more attention to the 1st season Cabot Cove episodes. I don't usually watch the earlier ones.

AND i'm sorry, but he looks like DEATH WARMED OVER as the series goes on- he is really overweight and has TERRIBLE COLORING (VERY PALE) in later seasons.

Although, William Windham lived some time into the 2010's I think, so good on him.

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

they wanted Doris Day to appear in an episode in the 90s.. Now THAT would've been interesting, esp. if Doris had been the KILLER!

her motive would've had to've been that she strangled a groomer when they cut one of her Maltese's claws to the quick....

Just now, LornaHansonForbes said:

her motive would've had to've been that she strangled a groomer when they cut one of her Maltese's claws to the quick....

LOL!

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Yes, he put on a lot of weight over the years. I think he lived into his 80s though. Think he died around 5 years ago or so.

I remember reading it and thinking, DAMN I THOUGHT HED'VE BEEN DEAD A LONG TIME!

I mean, HERBERT EDELMAN (Stan and a recurring NYPD Detective on MSw died ca. 1996)

Came up with some brainstorm last night. A very melodramatic, over-the-top brainstorm. The women's prison episode was on. I suggest they should have done a followup after the series ended, say 1998, call the episode The Siege of Cabot Cove, a 2 night, 4 hour TV event. Tons of guest stars. Jessica agrees to marry Seth Hazlett, they marry, lots of familiar faces at the reception, and then the news hits:  a large prison breakout has occurred at Maine's women's prison, but the kicker is that all the ones who broke out were former female killers all caught by Jessica in Cabot Cove (with the exception of rabble-rouser Adrianne Barbeau from the first go round). They're all out for revenge, and unfortunately, due to a rat in the system, they have seen such ennobling films as Basic Instinct, Single White Female, Fatal Attraction, and The Hand That Rocks the Cradle which have made them even more hostile.  Lots of mayhem follows , plus another group of convicts, a group of 12 women who had been robbers 40 years earlier, about to be paroled all played by familiar faces from noirs of the 40s/50s, decide to help Jessica solve the case.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Came up with some brainstorm last night. A very melodramatic, over-the-top brainstorm. The women's prison episode was on. I suggest they should have done a followup after the series ended, say 1998, call the episode The Siege of Cabot Cove, a 2 night, 4 hour TV event. Tons of guest stars. Jessica agrees to marry Seth Hazlett, they marry, lots of familiar faces at the reception, and then the news hits:  a large prison breakout has occurred at Maine's women's prison, but the kicker is that all the ones who broke out were former female killers all caught by Jessica in Cabot Cove (with the exception of rabble-rouser Adrianne Barbeau from the first go round). They're all out for revenge, and unfortunately, due to a rat in the system, they have seen such ennobling films as Basic Instinct, Single White Female, Fatal Attraction, and The Hand That Rocks the Cradle which have made them even more hostile.  Lots of mayhem follows , plus another group of convicts, a group of 12 women who had been robbers 40 years earlier, about to be paroled all played by familiar faces from noirs of the 40s/50s, decide to help Jessica solve the case.

LMREO!!!! Would've been a great way to end the series. Love that prison episode! Jessica in the Big House I think it was called.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

LMREO!!!! Would've been a great way to end the series. Love that prison episode! Jessica in the Big House I think it was called.

Yeah, it would be interesting. I was thinking the escapees would have be Barbeau, Carrie Snodgress, Meg Foster, Bonnie Bartlett, Carroll Baker, Marian Seldes, Marilyn Hassett, Coleen Camp,  and Candise Azzara 4 of them even tried to take a swipe at Jessica the first time around, so watch out!

12 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I apologize if this is too much information, but I orgasmed upon reading this

• Haha 1

there are in the history of the show- at least three episodes that deal on a surprisingly realistic level with the fallout Jessica faces AFTER ostensibly solving the crime-

THE RETURN OF PRESTON GILES where her former publisher and FORMER LUVAH (not really, but they did kiss!) who was the first murderer she discovered (in the pilot movie) returns to complicate her life.

ONE WHOSE TITLE I CAN'T REMEMBER that starts with an ACTION SEQUENCE where a dude breaks out of prison and is killed in the process. turns out he was a murderer Jessica sent there and his daughter files a wrongful death suit and Jessica VIOLATES STANDARD LEGAL ETIQUETTE, PROTOCOL AND ETHICS more times than BONITA GRANVILLE as NANCY DREW in this one.

THE ERROR OF HER WAYS which is THE MOST CONFUSING EPISODE OF MURDER, SHE WROTE, EVER. It's like the MEMENTO of MsW eps- it starts with her solving a crime and then unfolds as it seems as if maybe she fingered thr wrong person. I give it a lot of credit for what the episode does- but it is not as good as it could've been thanks to the TOLKEINESQUE plot that revolves around a lot of real estate business and swindling and some ambitiously lackluster support from ELLIOT GOULD as a Palm Springs police detective.

edit- as i recall, TONY LO BIANCO is in one of the latter two, damned if i can recall which, and he might be in neither. but he was on MsW at some point.

also, in watching the maaaaaaaaaaaaaaany Cabot Cove eps as I have lately, I have to say, it never ceases to impress me how many different sections and angles they shoot the invariably redressed JAWS LAKE in on the Universal backlot in the SAN FERNANDO VALLEY to make it stand in for MAINE.

The ORCA (seen on the left shore) shows up in NUMEROUS backgrounds.

jawslake_1987.jpg

edit- if you look right in the center of the Lake, you can see the track they run the sharkfin on.