• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

R.I.P. Leon Redbone (1950-2019)

sewhite2000

20 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Oddly, probably his biggest moment of fame:

Related image

I would say his early appearances during Season 1 of "Saturday Night Live" were bigger. And let's not forget his 1982 Budweiser commercial:

This really bums me out.  So, no details?  What happened?  Health, accident? what?

First caught this guy on PBS in the '70's.  The TV book only listed him as LEON REDBONE, and at the time, since I'd not heard of him before, thought the program had something to do with the Native-American rock group REDBONE.

So I flipped it on and saw THIS and was both greatly surprised AND delighted!  :P  Only whenI saw him on PBS, it was just him, a floor lamp, side table, easy chair and guitar.  ;)

Sepiatone

I was a huge fan and lucky enough to have seen him perform in concert at Chautauqua-very rare indeed! I also have every one of his albums, loved his interpretations of classic American folk songs.

He lived a very secretive life, keeping his "Leon Redbone" persona very separate from his real life living in a beautiful quaint town in PA. His daughter hung around my circle of friends but never divulged anything personal about him: his career, his name, what he did for a living, his age....I do know Redbone was just a "side line" and he was in ill health a long time, at least for the past decade or more.

No matter what he did outside of Redbone, no one ever divulged his secrets publicly -he must have had co-workers/neighbors/friends - you have to admire that success keeping privacy all these years!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I was a huge fan and lucky enough to have seen him perform in concert at Chautauqua-very rare indeed! I also have every one of his albums, loved his interpretations of classic American folk songs.

He lived a very secretive life, keeping his "Leon Redbone" persona very separate from his real life living in a beautiful quaint town in PA. His daughter hung around my circle of friends but never divulged anything personal about him: his career, his name, what he did for a living, his age....I do know Redbone was just a "side line" and he was in ill health a long time, at least for the past decade or more.

No matter what he did outside of Redbone, no one ever divulged his secrets publicly -he must have had co-workers/neighbors/friends - you have to admire that success keeping privacy all these years!

Was he secretive or just private?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings