Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Johnny Cash

David Guercio

Has TCM ever shown any of Johnny Cash’s movies before?  I just got back from vacation with my family and it was so cool.  We went to Nashville and Memphis and one of the things we did in Nashville was go to the Johnny Cash Museum.  It was so cool.  We all just loved it.  We learned all kinds of stuff about him and June Carter Cash and they also have a video there about him and stuff.  His career and stuff and one of the things I also learned about that they also talked about was that he also did all kinds of movies and TV shows from time to time.  That’s so neat and so cool and I would like to see his movies now.  That’s why I’m asking.  I think it would be so cool and one of the things we did in Memphis was go to Graceland of course and take the tour.  It was fantastic and of course I know they show Elvis’s movies.  So I will be watching for Elvis’s movies as well.  I am a really huge Johnny Cash fan and Elvis fan.  As well as all kinds of other stuff we did in Nashville and Memphis too.

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Has TCM ever shown any of Johnny Cash’s movies before?  I just got back from vacation with my family and it was so cool.  We went to Nashville and Memphis and one of the things we did in Nashville was go to the Johnny Cash Museum.  It was so cool.  

We learned all kinds of stuff about him and June Carter Cash and they also have a video there about him and stuff.  His career and stuff and one of the things I also learned about that they also talked about was that he also did all kinds of movies and TV shows from time to time.  That’s so neat and so cool and I would like to see his movies now.  That’s why I’m asking.  

I think it would be so cool and one of the things we did in Memphis was go to Graceland of course and take the tour.  

...Yes, but would it be cool?

Looks like Johnny Cash did quite a bit of TV work, and while theoretically some of those TV movies could end up on TCM - who will show a TV movie once in a blue moon - I'm only counting four theatrical films that he ever did. And, according to MovieCollectorOH's database, only one of those four films has ever aired on TCM, Five Minutes to Live, which last aired in October, 2014, almost five years ago, as Brrcold indicated.

I've always been a big fan of Johnny Cash having followed his entire career.

I truly enjoyed his variety TV show that he performed with his wife June Carter.

I've never seen any of the made-for-tv movies but I would imagine that most of that stuff is on DVD someplace.

9 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Has TCM ever shown any of Johnny Cash’s movies before?  I just got back from vacation with my family and it was so cool.  We went to Nashville and Memphis and one of the things we did in Nashville was go to the Johnny Cash Museum.  It was so cool.  We all just loved it.  We learned all kinds of stuff about him and June Carter Cash and they also have a video there about him and stuff.  His career and stuff and one of the things I also learned about that they also talked about was that he also did all kinds of movies and TV shows from time to time.  That’s so neat and so cool and I would like to see his movies now.  That’s why I’m asking.  I think it would be so cool and one of the things we did in Memphis was go to Graceland of course and take the tour.  It was fantastic and of course I know they show Elvis’s movies.  So I will be watching for Elvis’s movies as well.  I am a really huge Johnny Cash fan and Elvis fan.  As well as all kinds of other stuff we did in Nashville and Memphis too.

Probably I would look at Oldies.com first. They have a lot of old TV shows. I have bought a few myself.

I had some of his Yellow Sun Records, long after Elvis Presley had gone over to RCA Victor.

As singers and personalities, they are so very different --that apart from their association with Yellow Sun I don't know if I would compare the two. And you'll find that in their movies they're like apples and oranges as well.

Really two great artists in very different venues.

About several years ago there was a made for cable TV movie series about the history of Yellow Sun Records. I think that would be your best bet with finding out something about the origins of both artists at the same time.

Goodbye, I'm Johnny Cash. I remember that Johnny and his wife June were guest stars on an

episode of Columbo. Sorry to say, Johnny was not a good guy. Johnny will be mainly remembered

for his music. His movies and TV appearances were of secondary importance.

I'm a big Johnny Cash fan. If they did show some of his movies, I would watch them. His variety show exposure to artist who went on to have successful careers.

I saw him just the other day on Columbo where he murders Ida Lupino

swan-song-episode-7-pictured-johnny-cash-as-tommy-brown-ida-lupino-as-picture-id483637873?s=2048x2048

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yellow Sun Records

Just Sun Records! Maybe you're saying that because that's what the Lovin' Spoonful called them? But, unless I'm really missing something, that should read, "yellow Sun Records" with a lowercase "y", merely denoting the color of the records, not part of the company name. That song also screws up the city, because Sun Records was in Memphis, not Nashville. Good song, otherwise, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, David Guercio said:

Cool stuff, eh?

• Haha 1

Actually, I never knew Cash MADE any movies! :o  I'd be interested in seeing them.  I too, recall that COLUMBO episode.  

We'd joke about JOHNNY CASH and MR. ED.  How come you never saw the two of them together at the same time?  :D  Figured Johhny WAS secretly Mr.Ed.  The VOICE was a giveaway!  ;) 

And odd that the biopic "Walk The Line" never got into the Cash making movies thing.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

It was such a small part of his overall career, I guess the movie decided to ignore it. Seems like they might have thrown in a shot or two of him on a movie set as part of a montage sequence, though.

The first I ever got any inkling of it was, I think, his "Hurt" video, which included a few brief clips of at least one of his movies, all dolled up in Western gunfighter apparel. I remember at the time thinking, wow, he must have made some kind of really early music video! The idea that he'd been in a full-length theatrical film never occurred to me at the time.

11 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I've always been a big fan of Johnny Cash having followed his entire career.

I truly enjoyed his variety TV show that he performed with his wife June Carter.

I've never seen any of the made-for-tv movies but I would imagine that most of that stuff is on DVD someplace.

Probably I would look at Oldies.com first. They have a lot of old TV shows. I have bought a few myself.

I had some of his Yellow Sun Records, long after Elvis Presley had gone over to RCA Victor.

As singers and personalities, they are so very different --that apart from their association with Yellow Sun I don't know if I would compare the two. And you'll find that in their movies they're like apples and oranges as well.

Really two great artists in very different venues.

About several years ago there was a made for cable TV movie series about the history of Yellow Sun Records. I think that would be your best bet with finding out something about the origins of both artists at the same time.

Why do you call it Yellow Sun Records.  The labels were yellow, but the records were black vinyl.  I have a very old Johnny Cash record from them and it clearly is from Sun Records.  Title is Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two: Story Songs of the Trains and Rivers.  Probably purchased it around 1970.  The picture is from e-bay.  It came with a guaranteed replacement if it wore out.  It did and I wrote to Sun several years later and they sent me a new one.

I'm not sure either of them was actually a very good actor.  But they did have a presence and offered acceptable performances.  I don't think I have actually seen a Cash movie, but would like to.  Murder in Coweta County with Cash and Andy Griffin does show up on DVD titles, but not sure I wish to purchase it.

Alan Lane was the voice of Mr. Ed, not Johnny Cash.  Lane wanted billing, but producers refused.

The Sun link below does have narratives on Cash and others.

JOHNNY CASH "Story Songs of Trains & Rivers" Sun 104 SEALED Country Stereo LP

https://www.sunrecords.com/

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Alan Lane was the voice of Mr. Ed, not Johnny Cash.  Lane wanted billing, but producers refused.

We KNEW Cash wasn't the voice of Mr. Ed, the JOKE( you know what THOSE are?) was that the voices seemed so similar that Cash would dress up like the horse in order to do the show!  ;)  

Yellow records?  Heh....When I was a kid, I has several records distributed on the "Little Golden" label( an arm of the "Little Golden" books company) that were pressed onto yellow vinyl.  They were 45 rpm, but didn't have the BIG hole.  I've seen other "kiddie" records that were orange, blue and red.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheCid said:

Why do you call it Yellow Sun Records.  The labels were yellow, but the records were black vinyl.  I have a very old Johnny Cash record from them and it clearly is from Sun Records.  Title is Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two: Story Songs of the Trains and Rivers.  Probably purchased it around 1970.  The picture is from e-bay.  It came with a guaranteed replacement if it wore out.  It did and I wrote to Sun several years later and they sent me a new one.

I'm not sure either of them was actually a very good actor.  But they did have a presence and offered acceptable performances.  I don't think I have actually seen a Cash movie, but would like to.  Murder in Coweta County with Cash and Andy Griffin does show up on DVD titles, but not sure I wish to purchase it.

The Sun link below does have narratives on Cash and others.

JOHNNY CASH "Story Songs of Trains & Rivers" Sun 104 SEALED Country Stereo LP

I can see you're not a John Sebastian / Lovin Spoonful fan. LOL  I'll refer you to a song called "Nashville Cats".

I had my Yellow Sun records in the  late 50s when they were on the jukebox . My dad had a restaurant and when  the records were worn out or they didn't want to play them anymore, I got them  for free.

I also had some really nice ones with Jerry Lee and Carl Perkins.

"Folsom Prison" and "Orange Blossom Special" are my two favorite Johnny Cash songs-- he had a thing for trains.

Also I am a Mr. Ed fanatic, I have the DVDs. Allan "Rocky" Lane was a popular "B" matinee Cowboy idol for the kiddies in the forties and fifties. Originally he didn't want any billing because he thought the job was below him, working on The Ed show. But once the show became a big hit, he got the big head and the producers tried to fire him.

But they couldn't find anybody as good to replace him. I think he never got the credit for the success of that show that he deserved and his contribution was so important. But the people on the show simply didn't like him because of his bad attitude.

The other footnote for this show is that the great Universal makeup man Jack Pierce was Mr. Ed's makeup man.

After creating these unbelievable makeups for Frankenstein and the Wolfman, he was thrown out of Universal because he refused to use modern appliances to make the work faster, cheaper and more comfortable for the actor. Boris Karloff loved him, but Lon Chaney Jr hated him.

Alan Young wrote a terrific autobiography and an account of the show in a book called "Mr. Ed and Me and More", if you want more info about the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

We KNEW Cash wasn't the voice of Mr. Ed, the JOKE( you know what THOSE are?) was that the voices seemed so similar that Cash would dress up like the horse in order to do the show!  ;)  

Yellow records?  Heh....When I was a kid, I has several records distributed on the "Little Golden" label( an arm of the "Little Golden" books company) that were pressed onto yellow vinyl.  They were 45 rpm, but didn't have the BIG hole.  I've seen other "kiddie" records that were orange, blue and red.

Sepiatone

Talk about kiddie records. My brother had a bunch of Christmas carols and American folk songs which were the size of 45's but they ran on the 78 rpm. They were yellow and red with the small hole.

My favorite one was " Buffalo Gals" and I was shocked to find out that it really was a popular folk song when I heard it in " It's a Wonderful Life ".

My other favorite was " Old Dan Tucker ". Do you know that one?

7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Actually, I never knew Cash MADE any movies! :o  I'd be interested in seeing them.  I too, recall that COLUMBO episode.  

We'd joke about JOHNNY CASH and MR. ED.  How come you never saw the two of them together at the same time?  :D  Figured Johhny WAS secretly Mr.Ed.  The VOICE was a giveaway!  ;) 

And odd that the biopic "Walk The Line" never got into the Cash making movies thing.

Sepiatone

I saw the movie about his life a couple years ago and it was excellent.

The man had such a complex and complicated like that they probably felt like it wasn't necessary to put in a couple of those movie roles.

And what popular singer didn't make a movie or two?

Even Fabian made several. LOL

Yep, with all of those British Invasion records and all of those Beach Boys and Motown records, I don't know how I found the money to buy all those Lovin Spoonful records.

Yes,  I got my information straight from John Sebastian.

My method was not eating lunch at high school and saving that money for records. I weighed about 95 lb and today they would say that I was anorexic, but I ate like a pig once I got home. LOL

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Just Sun Records! Maybe you're saying that because that's what the Lovin' Spoonful called them? But, unless I'm really missing something, that should read, "yellow Sun Records" with a lowercase "y", merely denoting the color of the records, not part of the company name. That song also screws up the city, because Sun Records was in Memphis, not Nashville. Good song, otherwise, though.

"And the Record Man said every one is a yellow sun record from Nashville

And up North there ain't nobody buys them

And I said ' But I will' "-- John Sebastian, "Nashville Cats"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Yep, with all of those British Invasion records and all of those Beach Boys and Motown records, I don't know how I found the money to buy all those Lovin Spoonful records.

Yes,  I got my information straight from John Sebastian.

My method was not eating lunch at high school and saving that money for records. I weighed about 95 lb and today they would say that I was anorexic, but I ate like a pig once I got home. LOL

"And the Record Man said every one is a yellow sun record from Nashville

And up North there ain't nobody buys them

And I said ' But I will' "-- John Sebastian, "Nashville Cats"

I like a lot of Cash songs, but my most favorite are The City of New Orleans (far, far better than Woodie Guthrie), The Orange Blossom Special, Mobile Bay (cannot find on CD), The L&N Don't Stop Here Anymore (also hard to find), Sunday Morning Coming Down and Ballad of Ira Hayes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

Why do you call it Yellow Sun Records.  The labels were yellow, but the records were black vinyl.

The big hit record "Nashville Cats" by the Lovin' Spoonful from 1966 calls them "yellow Sun records from Nashville", which is where Princess and probably many people got their info. They were actually NOT from Nashville, but maybe John Sebastian didn't know that???

17 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

My other favorite was " Old Dan Tucker ". Do you know that one?

Sure do. It's the kind of oldey timey 'merican folk song the late Leon Redbone would have recorded. I recall an adorable Ronny Howard once sang it on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW backed by the wonderful Dillards (as the Darling Family) 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I saw the movie about his life a couple years ago and it was excellent.

The man had such a complex and complicated like that they probably felt like it wasn't necessary to put in a couple of those movie roles.

And what popular singer didn't make a movie or two?

Even Fabian made several. LOL

Sure, but those others made movies in response to ELVIS making movies and at first tried to cash in(no pun intent) on it, plus, most of them too were at a higher level of fame than Cash was when he made his first foray.  

And true, a lot of popular singers made movies, for better or worse.  And those movies succeeded  mostly because those singers' FANS didn't care how good or bad the flick was.  ;)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Sure, but those others made movies in response to ELVIS making movies and at first tried to cash in(no pun intent) on it, plus, most of them too were at a higher level of fame than Cash was when he made his first foray.  

And true, a lot of popular singers made movies, for better or worse.  And those movies succeeded  mostly because those singers' FANS didn't care how good or bad the flick was.  ;)

Sepiatone

Not disagreeing with Elvis' movies being far more popular.  But I'm not sure the others made movies because Elvis did it.  It was just another entertainment venue to try.  Just as some went into TV and tried series, which I don't believe Elvis ever did.

Maybe Elvis went into movies because Frank Sinatra did it?

Elvis' foray into movies had more to do with the entrepreneurial talents of Tom Parker and his goal of making as much as he could marketing Elvis.  But Elvis was far more successful monetarily than any of the others probably could have been.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings