Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

improving close encounters of the third kind

NipkowDisc

why does slack tcm never never choose to do right by their viewers? they never show the right CE3K print with the best scene at the moorcroft wyoming train depot.
missing of course from tonite's airing. the huckster peddling his early warning poison gas system. hilarious lines...

"you're gonna be real sorry if you don't have one of these early warning systems such as a bird or a gas mask. why even my dog has a gas mask and anyone of you is worth more than a dog."

:lol:

I crack up everytime I hear that schpeel.

an idea or two that would improve this movie immensely. when roy is taking his late nite shower with his clothes on in the bathtub. I love his line about the watch but after Ronnie gets peeved if only she would turn the shower back on full force but cold. I bet he wouldn't find that funny.

another idea would be when he goes out into his yard to the children's swings and starts yelling up to the sky what is it.
the schtootz could end the movie on a high note right there by just giving who's up there the bird and just going on with my life.

:D

Of course there was an original theatrical release in 1977 and the Special Edition from 1980, which deleted some scenes from the original and replaced them with some previously unreleased scenes. My understanding is TCM has only ever shown the 1977 original. Any scenes you remember that they're not showing are probably from the Special Edition.

I know I've seen both, but only the original version for a very long time now, so I've probably forgotten most of the differences. The scenes of Dreyfuss losing his mind, ultimately driving his family into leaving him, are reduced considerably in the Special Edition, I think. Spielberg, I think, decided he'd put in too much of that in a film where he more wanted to inspire wonder than bum everybody out. The big selling point was Dreyfuss actually inside the alien ship at the end, about which I remember almost nothing. Just a lot of bright lights, as I recall. And maybe there's one more scene of Truffaut and his team in the Special Edition. Oh, well, I'm sure all the diferences are listed online somewhere. I should probably stop guessing about stuff I barely remember.

Spielberg could use some mashed potatoes in his diet right about now. if trying to outdo Robert Wise is the only idea he can come up with than it's time for him to start selling pencils to cute little rubbery ETs.

:D

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Certainly not the only idea he can come up with. Any number of his recent films have been quite good, in my opinion.

I thought Bridge of Spies and The Post were passable if more than a bit bland. I liked Ready Player One more than I expected to, but it was still a mixed bag. The BFG ranks among the worst he's ever made, in my opinion, although I know it has its fans.

my great idea for a sequel...

after 42 years out in space neary returns to earth wracked with guilt about abandoning Ronnie and his kids.

he then learns the awful truth. days after his going off in the alien mothership, Ronnie is on her way with her kids back to the house to reconcile with roy and is in a head on collision and all 4 are killed. learning this his guilt puts roy neary in the nuthouse.

end of story.

:)

Image result for roy neary close encounters

After 42 years in space, Neary, like the others who returned the night HE took off, hasn't aged ONE IOTA, and Ronnie, who has, is now a widow of her second husband and finds it beneath her to pay the "cougar" and rejects his attempts to pick up the pieces where they left off 40+ years earlier.  His now middle aged children accept him though, and help him overcome his dejection by fixing him up with dates with his grandchildren's  female friends. He's shocked to find that the one girl he's been having a hot sexual relationship with is the daughter of  BARRY GUILIAN, the son of JILLIAN, the woman compatriot that ran up Devil's Tower with him 42 years earlier, and now confined with dementia in a nursing home.  Eventually, the aliens return looking for Roy, who's behind on the child support payments for the children he fathered with an alien woman he was married to during his 42 year absence. 

;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hamradio said:

I have the CETK special Edition Laserdisc.

Hope Dreyfus knows sign language. :huh:

If he DID, then he would've known before he decided to jump on that alien spaceship that these five musical notes could have been decoded into the phrase, "To Serve Man is a cookbook!".

• Haha 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings