Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Are there any actors or actresses who made all of their American films at one studio?

LsDoorMat

I can only think of three who come close. Clifton Webb did some silent work, but was mainly a stage performer until "Laura". I think that every film he made from Laura on was at 20th Century Fox. Greta Garbo made some European films, but once she came to America I think she only worked for MGM. Norma Shearer had lots of roles before MGM became a single studio formed out of several others in 1924, but all of her work after that was at MGM.  Are there any who had a career only at one studio?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I can only think of three who come close. Clifton Webb did some silent work, but was mainly a stage performer until "Laura". I think that every film he made from Laura on was at 20th Century Fox. Greta Garbo made some European films, but once she came to America I think she only worked for MGM. Norma Shearer had lots of roles before MGM became a single studio formed out of several others in 1924, but all of her work after that was at MGM.  Are there any who had a career only at one studio?

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 4.08.32 PM.jpg

Vera Ralston...27 films, all produced at Republic from 1941 to 1958. She played a lead role in most of them.

She's a rare example of an actress who was signed by one studio and her entire Hollywood career was at that studio. Of course it helped that she had married Herbert Yates, who was in charge of Republic during those years. She was unequivocally, the queen of the Republic lot. But very much loved by the people who worked there.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0707843/

Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 4.05.24 PM.jpg

Another one is Twinkle Watts. She was a child star at Republic in the 1940s. All 13 of her films were at Republic. Her parents were long time employees at the studio. I think her mother was head cook in the commissary. There was no reason for Twinkle to make movies elsewhere, since the family was very loyal to Yates.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0915250/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 1

That would be Deanna Durbin with her short film career of 12 years.  She was born in 1921 and made all her 21 films at Universal studio, which is probably why Jane Powell (wannabe-Deanna) is Star of the Month and not Deanna.

pool.jpg

1 hour ago, noah80 said:

That would be Deanna Durbin with her short film career of 12 years.  She was born in 1921 and made all her 21 films at Universal studio...

Deanna made a short film at MGM in 1936 and she made a short film at 20th Century Fox in 1943. So not all her films were at Universal. 

If the OP had asked about all of a person's feature films at one studio, then Deanna would qualify because her features were at Universal. But the OP did not exclude short films from this exercise.

I think most of the cases that come closest have already been mentioned. Even some who did most of their careers at one studio (Jane Powell, Esther Williams, Kathryn Grayson to name three mostly in MGM films) made a few little trips to other studios.

The closest thing to studio loyalty today is Clint Eastwood and Warner Bros.. With very few exceptions (In the Line of Fire and Absolute Power at Columbia/Castle Rock, a cameo in Universal's Casper, and his directorial effort Changeling at Universal), all of the films that Clint has been involved, as acvtor, producer, or director, with since 1976 have been at Warner Bros. ... And Warners now own the rights to Absolute Power as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I may just briefly keep the focus on directors, I would point out that beginning with A Clockwork Orange, every film Stanley Kubrick made was for Warner Bros. Unfortunately, given his epic lag time between projects, that turned out to be only five films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings