Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Edna May Oliver Appreciation Thread

Rumann Koch

ednamay.jpg

She may not have been beautiful, but she made up for it by her excellent acting and hilarious tongue-in-cheek humor.

My favorite performance of hers is as in "David Copperfield" (1935), where as Aunt Betsy she played the strong-willed but caring aunt of the main character played by Freddie Bartholomew, and dominates her scenes in the film.

Trivia: although many of her films 'sport' her with a British accent, she was actually born Edna May Nutter, November 2, 1883 in Malden, MA.

• Like 1

Edna appeared in many films. One that I would love to see is "Let's Get Married" (1926) where Edna plays an intoxicated hymn-book buyer starring alongside Richard Dix. NY Times critics raved: "Edna May Oliver gives a decidedly capable performance in a relatively unimportant part. One only regrets that she is not beheld in more sequences of this effort."

I love Edna May. One of the greats who made the classic films classic. Just the other day, I was thinking of which of her roles is my favorite. I think I've decided that it's this one:

EMO-EdnaMayOliver-DrumsMohawk-meeti.png

Edna May Oliver as Mrs. McKlennar in Drums Along the Mohawk (her one Oscar-nominated performance)

MV5BMjIyNTM0NTA0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzYx

• Like 1

I read somewhere that Ms Oliver had a very nice singing voice, too. According to her, she never explored using it in musicals because she felt she had a "Horse face." 

My favorite role of hers is as Miss Pross in A TALE OF TWO CITIES. I love that sped up fight scene between her and Blanche Yurka! 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings