Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pocket Rockets

slaytonf

They are diminutive, but pack a big punch.  They are multi-talented, and light up the screen disproportionately to their stature.  Jane Powell's turn at StaroftheMonth brings this to mind.  Bright little super novas that dazzle you, entertain you, deliver you pleasant surprises, and leave you smiling.  Forget those sinuous slinky sylphy long limbed cosmopolitan ladies, gimme Bessie:

Pocket rocket is a term for a small car with a big power train, able to accelerate and zoom around nimbly.  This does not include small muscle cars, like the Corvette.  I applied this to certain actresses because of similar characteristics.

Attribute my ignorance of other uses for this term to my disconnect with current popular culture.

Character actress Isabel Jewell was only 4' 11", but she always was memorable. Sometimes you had to look for her, though, (no pun intended 😄) because she was often uncredited and played small parts.

Judy Garland was also 4' 11" and boy, she certainly lit up the screen!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Character actress Isabel Jewell was only 4' 11", but she always was memorable. Sometimes you had to look for her, though, (no pun intended 😄) because she was often uncredited and played small parts.

Ya know, I had no idea that Judy was that diminutive, sagebrush. Always thought her at around 5'2" or so.

But, sure as heck and after checking her height on the internet, you were correct here.

(...and so yeah...what a lot of talent packaged into that little body of hers, indeed)

The was a great hockey player with the Montreal Canadians in the forties and fifties named Maurice Richard.  He was known as "Rocket Richard" because of his powerful slap shot.   His much younger and smaller brother, Henri, played for the Canadians from the mid-fifties until the mid-seventies. He was known as the "Pocket Rocket". 

:D 

Notice how the old women Mods prudently( with a capital "prude") omitted my post that mentioned( and had video backed clips) devices of a sexual nature that can fit in a pocket?  ;) 

But too, my post showed THESE otherwise innocuous examples....

Sepiatone

On 6/2/2019 at 10:56 AM, sagebrush said:

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/garland-car_opt.jpg

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings