Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see honored as Star of the Month...?


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Same reasons as always.  Too much emphasis on one person, rather than the variety I prefer.

Well, it's only one night a week! (and in primetime, mostly)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Another repeat performer. SIGH.

She's not a repeat. Patricia Neal has never been Star of the Month before. There was a special memorial tribute when she passed away in 2010. And she had a Summer Under the Stars day in 2015.

But this is the first time they've done a month-long retrospective of her work.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibi said this also on the January 2020 thread which sent me searching the list of previous SOTMs. I didn't know I would have to go to a third thread to finally find some confirmation or refutation of this claim. I asked in the other thread if maybe she'd had a SUTS day before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hibi said this also on the January 2020 thread which sent me searching the list of previous SOTMs. I didn't know I would have to go to a third thread to finally find some confirmation or refutation of this claim. I asked in the other thread if maybe she'd had a SUTS day before.

Yes. I'm not sure why Hibi thought she'd been honored before. It's her first time as Star of the Month.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

She's not a repeat. Patricia Neal has never been Star of the Month before. There was a special memorial tribute when she passed away in 2010. And she had a Summer Under the Stars day in 2015.

But this is the first time they've done a month-long retrospective of her work.

I could've sworn she did. In that case, I won't grump about it. Yes, I know she had a SUTS day. Maybe I'm confusing it with that.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I could've sworn she did. In that case, I won't grump about it. Yes, I know she had a SUTS day. Maybe I'm confusing it with that.

All the films they're playing in January were broadcast when she had a Summer Under the Stars day in August 2015. This was the schedule:

August 16, 2015:

imgres-22.jpg

6:00 a.m. John Loves Mary (1949)

8:00 a.m. Bright Leaf (1950)

10:00 a.m. The Subject Was Roses (1968)

12:00 p.m. The Breaking Point (1950)

2:00 p.m. The Hasty Heart (1950)

4:00 p.m. The Fountainhead (1949)

6:00 p.m. Operation Pacific (1951)

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS PATRICIA NEAL

8:00 p.m. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

10:00 p.m. Hud (1963)

12:00 a.m. A Face in the Crowd (1957)

2:15 a.m. Raton Pass (1951)

4:00 a.m. The Road Builder (1971)  (also known as The Night Digger)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm prejudiced so it would have to be NATALIE WOOD again   Did they ever do W.C. Fields yet, think I recall them doing it years back

 

What about STEVE McQUEEN? You'd know top, has he recently been STOTM-(only made 28 films)?

 

& as I once wrote lets start with directors as STOTM

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

All the films they're playing in January were broadcast when she had a Summer Under the Stars day in August 2015. This was the schedule:

August 16, 2015:

imgres-22.jpg

6:00 a.m. John Loves Mary (1949)

8:00 a.m. Bright Leaf (1950)

10:00 a.m. The Subject Was Roses (1968)

12:00 p.m. The Breaking Point (1950)

2:00 p.m. The Hasty Heart (1950)

4:00 p.m. The Fountainhead (1949)

6:00 p.m. Operation Pacific (1951)

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS PATRICIA NEAL

8:00 p.m. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

10:00 p.m. Hud (1963)

12:00 a.m. A Face in the Crowd (1957)

2:15 a.m. Raton Pass (1951)

4:00 a.m. The Road Builder (1971)  (also known as The Night Digger)

Not especially a fan deserved her Academy Award though, but 1 tough lady  Most on here will understand why I say that

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, spence said:

I'm prejudiced so it would have to be NATALIE WOOD again   Did they ever do W.C. Fields yet, think I recall them doing it years back

 

What about STEVE McQUEEN? You'd know top, has he recently been STOTM-(only made 28 films)?

 

& as I once wrote lets start with directors as STOTM

McQueen was Star of the Month on TCM in July 2018. Natalie's been Star of the Month three times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, TopBilled said:

I'd like to see one of these people honored:

Tony Curtis
Joan Bennett
Edna May Oliver
Ricardo Montalban
Peter Lawford
Marion Davies
George Sanders
Mae Clarke
Robert Preston
Simone Simon

What about you..?

Have Joan Bennett, George Sanders, Mae Clark or Robert Preston been honored yet?

They are the ones I would be most interested to see as SOTM.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Have Joan Bennett, George Sanders, Mae Clark or Robert Preston been honored yet?

They are the ones I would be most interested to see as SOTM.

Nope. None of those people have been Star of the Month yet.

5 minutes ago, spence said:

anyone yet ,mention lee marvin

You just did! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Danny Kaye.  Pretty please with sugar on top.

I'd love to see him honored. But a lot of his films are outside the TCM library, so it would cost a fortune. 

More do-able would be a primetime spotlight showing three or four of his rarely seen classics from Goldwyn, Fox or Paramount.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charlie Chaplin hasn't been SOTM since 2004, as far as I can see. I would like to see him honored again.

Dana Andrews is another I would like to see be SOTM.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Chaplin is getting an SUTS day in August, so the chances of him being SOTM in September are next to nothing, I would think.

I'd be all for a Dana Andrews month.

but if may be off the wall  what abouth tiough guy LEE MARVN?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...