Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sukhov

David Lynch Receiving Honorary Oscar

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

"My famiry dried at Hiroshrima." :lol:

tojamura.png?w=513&h=391

Yeah, that second season was really something. :lol: 

I loved that bit of surprise, though the Josie storyline just went bonkers towards the end. I knew there was something off about him, but wasn't quite sure what the deal was......(above) LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I enjoyed that Who's the Daddy triangle. The humorous plots of the show I did like.

Well, then you'll enjoy this musical interlude:

 

13 hours ago, EricJ said:

Basically, the whole S2 after Laura Palmer, I'm not sure if it was the new directors (wannabe director Diane Keaton, fresh off her artsy documentary, took a "quirky" turn at one episode)

And one of said quirky touches in Keaton's episode was that we see Harry's sheriff office has a picture on the wall of...Harry Truman!  Yuk-yuk, nudge-nudge, wink-wink?

Although I'll give S2 points for trying to raise the season-finale stakes with Agent Cooper in Love, as he's smitten by the new diner waitress, in his own odd way--He starts saying, "It's like the joke about the penguin--" before being interrupted, and Truman stares in shock:  "Coop...You were telling a joke! 😮 "
("Two penguins sitting on an iceberg--One of them says 'You look like you're wearing a tuxedo.'  The other one says...'Maybe I AM.'")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, don't get me started on Leland's musical numbers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honorary Oscar="You didn't rate high enough with us for a real Oscar." 

I'd love to see Lynch do a Batman film, no corporate restraints.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Although I'll give S2 points for trying to raise the season-finale stakes with Agent Cooper in Love, as he's smitten by the new diner waitress, in his own odd way--He starts saying, "It's like the joke about the penguin--" before being interrupted, and Truman stares in shock:  "Coop...You were telling a joke! 😮 "
("Two penguins sitting on an iceberg--One of them says 'You look like you're wearing a tuxedo.'  The other one says...'Maybe I AM.'")

The fact they just inserted Annie into the last few episodes to give Cooper a new love so that Audrey, Shelly or Donna don't end up being "the Queen" and a main character is eliminated permanently is probably the most annoying thing about it. Annie's scenes always feel so odd, like Cooper would fall in love with some random woman he just met.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jameselliot said:

'd love to see Lynch do a Batman film, no corporate restraints.

I'd love to see Lynch go the Peter Jackson route, and do a great big-budget epic book on a full studio megabudget:
Maybe if they gave him Frank Herbert's "Du--....oh, wait.  😞

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lynch agreed to give away the rights to final cut to that film. He didn't even have any input on the expanded edition that aired on TV a few years later, so that was no director's cut. He vowed he'd never do that again, and he hasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Lynch agreed to give away the rights to final cut to that film. He didn't even have any input on the expanded edition that aired on TV a few years later, so that was no director's cut. He vowed he'd never do that again, and he hasn't.

I'd still love to see what Jodorowsky could have done with the story. One of the great films that never was imo.

HolyMountain.jpg?resize=700,375&ssl=1&is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the major films due the end of next year is another adaptation of Dune, this time from director Denis Villeneuve (ArrivalBlade Runner 2046). It also sports an all-star cast, including Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem, Jason Momoa, Dave Bautista, Josh Brolin, Oscar Isaac, Charlotte Rampling, and Stellan Skarsgard.

Dune is my favorite novel, the only fiction book that I've read three times (I'm usually a one-and-done when it comes to fiction), and I love the David Lynch film. I know it's hated by most, especially by those who've read the book, but I count it among my favorite science fiction films. I didn't care for the more accurate but much cheaper and tackier looking mini-series that came later. I'm curious how much of the Lynch film's aesthetic will be kept in the new movie.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I love the David Lynch film. I know it's hated by most,

That's all I need to hear (plus recent Elaine May interviews about it)....calling the library now-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The fact they just inserted Annie into the last few episodes to give Cooper a new love so that Audrey, Shelly or Donna don't end up being "the Queen" and a main character is eliminated permanently is probably the most annoying thing about it. Annie's scenes always feel so odd, like Cooper would fall in love with some random woman he just met.

Yeah, like they added her so it would be no big deal if she was killed.....

It's odd, none of the younger actors on the show really took off with their careers. I expected some of them would. I guess Boyle did somewhat; Had some great beauties on that show (Sherilyn Fenn etc.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, like they added her so it would be no big deal if she was killed.....

It's odd, none of the younger actors on the show really took off with their careers. I expected some of them would. I guess Boyle did somewhat; Had some great beauties on that show (Sherilyn Fenn etc.)

Sherilyn Fenn is really a bit out there. She has a Twitter account and she retweets a bunch of evangelical, religious stuff. I think her co-workers said she was very hard to work with too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Sherilyn Fenn is really a bit out there. She has a Twitter account and she retweets a bunch of evangelical, religious stuff. I think her co-workers said she was very hard to work with too.

She's the last person I'd have thought would've gone that route. But then Prince went that route too (they were an item for awhile back then). Maybe that's why her career didnt pan out (difficult to work with).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The fact they just inserted Annie into the last few episodes to give Cooper a new love so that Audrey, Shelly or Donna don't end up being "the Queen" and a main character is eliminated permanently is probably the most annoying thing about it. Annie's scenes always feel so odd, like Cooper would fall in love with some random woman he just met.

I've read pretty much anything and everything ever written about the series. My understanding is Cooper and Audrey were supposed to finally become a couple after he rescued her from One Eyed Jacks, and it would have been Audrey who won the beauty pageant and got kidnapped by Windom Earle. However, Kyle Machlachlan was dating Lara Flynn Boyle, who didn't care for all this Cooper/Audrey stuff. Also, Machlachlan felt Cooper would be violating his character's sense of ethics if he got physical with Audrey after the pledge he made when he found her in his bed back in Season One. Machlachlan actually threatened to quit the show at one point. The "inmates were running the asylum" at this point. Lynch and Frost were both off working on other projects (I think Wild at Heart and Storyville, respectively), and the writers and directors left behind invented the character of Annie and more or less proceeded with the same storyline, just with Annie instead of Audrey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. But why would Boyle have any say in where the plot was going? Because she was banging Agent Cooper? (LOL).  Wonder if that hackneyed plot at the end about her parentage was her idea? LOL. Since James left town, she didnt have anything to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

The "inmates were running the asylum" at this point. Lynch and Frost were both off working on other projects (I think Wild at Heart and Storyville, respectively), and the writers and directors left behind invented the character of Annie and more or less proceeded with the same storyline, just with Annie instead of Audrey.

That explains a lot of the post-Laura S2, with or without the new directors.  

You can usually tell (ahemgroeningsimpsons) when the original creator has lost interest and left his creation, and it's now in the hands of a lot of new talent showing off their own guesses based on its Famous Pop-Cultural Image marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

That's all I need to hear (plus recent Elaine May interviews about it)....calling the library now-

I saw both versions, liked the longer version mostly because there was more Dune. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I saw both versions, liked the longer version mostly because there was more Dune. :D

Do you mean the longer cut of Lynch's Dune, or the Dune mini-series from 2000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

the longer cut of Lynch's Dune

That one, never saw the mini series

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

That one, never saw the mini series

The Miniseries wasn't bad--This was when Sci-Fi Channel was Sci-Fi, not SyFy, and more in the spirit of one of those big-budget Robert Halmi classics miniseries, and not one of the goofy ones, either.

While it's '00-era CGI, the budget concentrates on sticking to Herbert's book, doesn't surrealistically indulge itself as much as Lynch on the Harkonnen's designs, and plays more to what would be a Game of Thrones audience today, with more time to explore the story without all of Lynch's danged expository internal whispering.  

(i wonder if he knows they followed up with a TV version of "Children/God Emperor of Dune"...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EricJ said:

That explains a lot of the post-Laura S2, with or without the new directors.  

You can usually tell (ahemgroeningsimpsons) when the original creator has lost interest and left his creation, and it's now in the hands of a lot of new talent showing off their own guesses based on its Famous Pop-Cultural Image marketing.

Lynch wasn't really involved much with the series after the Laura Palmer mini-series, was he? Wasn't it mostly Frost's baby? I know he did that cameo and directed a few? (I think). I don't think they really thought through what was going to happen after Laura was wrapped up. Just kept throwing stuff at the wall. I enjoyed the humorous sub plots, but they got caught up in the weirdness which was more distracting than interesting. Some stuff went nowhere (the James Postman Rings Twice stuff; Jane Greer's visit; All that boring stuff with Richard Beymer and the Civil War, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He continued to act in several episodes that he neither (co) wrote nor directed, but I believe he directed the episode where Maddy was killed, and he also co-wrote and directed the final episode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

Lynch wasn't really involved much with the series after the Laura Palmer mini-series, was he? Wasn't it mostly Frost's baby? I know he did that cameo and directed a few? (I think). I don't think they really thought through what was going to happen after Laura was wrapped up. Just kept throwing stuff at the wall. I enjoyed the humorous sub plots, but they got caught up in the weirdness which was more distracting than interesting. Some stuff went nowhere (the James Postman Rings Twice stuff; Jane Greer's visit; All that boring stuff with Richard Beymer and the Civil War, etc.

Lynch definitely came back for the S2 opener, and the Black Lodge cliffhanger, now that his new fetish was for the hysterical Screaming Meemies, that he was playing with in Wild At Heart--The S2 finale (not counting the bit stuck on from the end of the "Beauty contest" arc) is much more in keeping with the Lynch-approved cable S3 series than anything preceding it for the entire season.

And, of course, the "wacky" FBI Chief Cole (WHAT?  I LOVE NAT KING COLE, ESPECIALLY THE WAY HE SANG "CHANCES ARE"!), where he could let off his fatigue with the series as the Lynch's-version-of-comedy got goofier.

(Anyone keep seeing Our Beloved President whenever Lynch keeps playing Cole on the S3 series?:  "What?  'Fake booze'?...No, we've got Jack Daniels, the real stuff!")  😁

Getting off of Twin Peaks, I'll always associate Lynch with one bit of improvisation from the old UK version of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?":

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...