Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

September Schedule Up-- SOTM Sidney Poitier

speedracer5

Oh, man, literally one minute before I was gonna turn out the lights and go to bed, I have to check the message boards one more time! Now, I have to at least check out the first week or two and get some sense of the themes.

I don't believe there was a single vote for Poitier in the adjacent thread where people were suggesting SOTM this time around. Not a selection that particularly excites me. I just can't imagine there's going to be some lost Poitier gem being included that takes me by surprise. But I will reserve judgment until I see the selections.

Edit: Poitier month is kicking off with the terrific, racially charged No Way Out with Poitier, Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell and Stephen McNally. Also small parts by Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis. I can't overstate how fantastic this movie is. The OTHER movie written and directed by Joseph Mankiewicz in 1950. I'm already feeling better about Poitier month.

• Like 1

I'm not too excited about the SOTM selection.  Only because Sidney Poitier doesn't tend to appear in films that appeal to me.  Regardless, I am open to watching a few of them to see if any "grab" me.

NOIR ALLEY

9/7 The Big Clock

9/14 Nocturne

9/21 The Woman on the Beach

9/28 The Harder They Fall

9/1

A Kiss Before Dying.  This psychological thriller looks interesting.

9/2

In Person. A Ginger Rogers movie I haven't seen.

Treasures From the Disney Vault

9/3

Band of Angels. A film featuring Sidney Poitier.  I am also interested because it features Clark Gable and Yvonne DeCarlo.

9/8

Bunny Lake is Missing.  I like the title and the film sounds interesting as well.

The 3 Charlie Chaplin films featured during the Silent Sunday Night.

9/10

I've heard of A Patch of Blue and it sounds like it may be interesting.

9/11

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.  I borrowed this movie from the library awhile back and had to return it before I got a chance to watch it.  I'll admit that I checked it out solely for the title and the fact that it was a Criterion.

9/12

The morning programming with Where the Boys Are, Follow the Boys, When Boys Meet the Girls, etc. All those films scheduled that morning appeal to me.

9/13

Ladies They Talk About.  Yes! I've been waiting for this Barbara Stanwyck precode to air again.  This film is amusing.  It is one of my favorite subgenres--Ladies in Prison. 

9/17

In the Heat of the Night.  This movie sounds interesting and I feel like I should see the movie where "They call me Mister Tibbs" comes from.  I'm not a big fan of Rod Steiger though.  He must have attended the Lee J. Cobb School of Overacting.

9/18

Tom Jones.  I was interested in seeing this movie after Albert Finney's passing.

9/19

The Working Man. A Bette Davis movie that I haven't seen.

9/20

Back to Back of the greatest two TCM shorts--Match Your Mood and The Wonderful World of Tupperware! YES!

9/26

Dangerous Partners. An Audrey Totter movie that I haven't seen.

Looks like the Bond theme is every week, not just one night. There have surely never been this high a concentration of Bond movies on TCM. Most of them are premieres. I kinda want to jump ahead and see how recent we get. Could they be showing a Daniel Craig Bond film?

Edit: To answer my own question, looks like they stop with the Pierce Brosnan years, 1999's The World is Not Enough being the most recent film.

Coming Home, with an Oscar-winning performance from Jon Voight, making its TCM premiere on Sept. 25 as part of the 100 Years of United Artists spotlight. I didn't remember it was a UA film (I've seen it once in my life, I think. I rented it from Blockbuster when I was a college student). Since TCM has never shown it before, I just always kind of assumed it was from Paramount or Universal. 

Well, I'm pretty excited about the lineup. Poitier I can take or leave, but to be fair to Sidney, I've never seen a single one of these post-1969 films except A Warm December, whcih TCM aired in the last year or two. I'm particularly curious about the two Tibbs sequels. I'll try to catch at least a couple of these.

I'd like to be excited about 100 years of United Artists, but my gosh, I've seen virtually every one of these films multiple times. I'd like to have seen a few more surprising choices in this category.

Certainly the most surprising theme of the month is the Bond films. I always figured there was some rights hang up about these, because I don't know that TCM has shown any in more than a decade. Probably there will be some grousing around here that TCM showing Star Wars and 20 or so Bond films in the same calendar year is a sign of the apocalypse. Too modern, too commerical, blah, blah, blah. No doubt someone will make a joke about when is the Harry Potter marathon going to air? Hopefully, I beat someone to it. I'm pretty excited they're getting a spotlight, though.

Apparently Coming Home was shown once very early in TCM's history.  The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is back on, after what seems a rather long hiatus.  The foreign films have interesting choices, what appear to be premieres:  We All Loved Each Other so Very Much, Ceddo, Mysterious Object at Noon, Days of Being Wild, Manila in the Claws of Light. 

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

100 Years of United Artists certainly looks like an interesting theme, and then ...

I'm excited for this one, especially to see the clips of the silent films from the studio's pioneers!

• Like 1

Interesting that the Bond films only go up to 1999...so Brosnan's last one (DIE ANOTHER DAY) does not get included.

I think the Hemingway idea would have worked better if it included the three Ava Gardner made, or the ones Gregory Peck made. The two with Cooper are okay, but the ones with Gardner and the ones with Peck are better in my opinion.

A few of the Poitier films are turning up on other days, as part of some other themes.

Glad to see THE BIG CLOCK on the schedule. I reviewed this one in the Essentials thread in January.

55 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think the Hemingway idea would have worked better if it included the three Ava Gardner made, or the ones Gregory Peck made. The two with Cooper are okay, but the ones with Gardner and the ones with Peck are better in my opinion.

In the spotlight on Cooper narrated by his daughter that often runs between features on TCM, it's mentioned that Hemmingway, after seeing Cooper's performance in A Farewell to Arms, specifically created the character of Robert Jordan in For Whom the Bell Tolls with Cooper in mind. I'm guessing this connection was the motivation behind this particular double-feature selection.

39 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

In the spotlight on Cooper narrated by his daughter that often runs between features on TCM, it's mentioned that Hemmingway, after seeing Cooper's performance in A Farewell to Arms, specifically created the character of Robert Jordan in For Whom the Bell Tolls with Cooper in mind. I'm guessing this connection was the motivation behind this particular double-feature selection.

Or that Cooper's a household name and A FAREWELL TO ARMS is in the public domain. 

I think an evening of Ava Gardner & Hemingway would be very good-- THE KILLERS; THE SNOWS OF KILIMANJARO; and THE SUN ALSO RISES.

• Like 1

September  feature-length Premieres...

We All Loved Each Other So Much (1974)

Scent of a Woman (1974)

Fun and Fancy Free (1947)

The Happiest Millionaire (1967)

Snowball Express (1972)

The Misadventures of Merlin Jones (1964)

Willy McBean and His Magic Machine (1965)

Ringo and His Golden Pistol (1966)

Blue Denim (1959)

Mysterious Object at Noon (2000)

On Her Majesty's secret Service (1969)

Live and Let Die (1973)

The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)

That's My Boy (1932)

Emetai (1971)

Ceddo (1977)

CineAbility: The art of Inclusion (2018)

Man from God's Country (1958 )

The Taming of the West (1939)

The Spy who Loved Me (1977)

Moonraker (1979)

For Your Eyes Only (1981)

Octopussy (1983)

A View to a Kill (1985)

Return to Campus (1975)

Manilla in the Claws of Light (1975)

The living Daylights (1987)

Licence to Kill (1989)

GoldenEye (1995)

Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)

The World is Not Enough (1999)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

In the Heat of the Night.  This movie sounds interesting and I feel like I should see the movie where "They call me Mister Tibbs" comes from.  I'm not a big fan of Rod Steiger though.  He must have attended the Lee J. Cobb School of Overacting.

This happens on the TV show too. First episode, I thnk. They go with, "You will call me Mr. Tibbs." I DVR'd the movie and still haven't watched. I cannot imagine a bad Sidney Poitier movie.

21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I have to remind myself not everyone on here has seen every movie I have. Someone - Hibi, I think? - was stunned I'd never heard of Ruth Roman, which made a little self-conscious, so I will try not to overreact to your never having seen Heat. I can kind of take or leave Steiger myself. He has a SUTS day this year, and I'm going to try to watch at least one of his movies I've never seen before to get a better appreciation of him. I think he definitely overacts for lots of Heat, but there are also some interesting moments of subtlety - note his reaction when Poitier slaps the white guy and his indecision about how he's going to react to it. Also, when he laughs about Poitier's attitudes maybe aren't so different from the **** he's surrounded with. One of my favorite Steiger performances is in Dr. Zhivago, actually.

Edit: I'm leaving the autocorrect censorship intact, in case people think I made a really shocking comment. In fact, what I said was red necks, but put together as one word. That's censored, why? Racist to white people?

There's an error on the James Bond stuff.

They have the second film airing on the 26th as LICENSE TO KILL (1984) but that's a TV movie starring James Farentino.

Instead it should be LICENCE TO KILL (1989) starring Timothy Dalton. Notice the British spelling for license/licence.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:20 PM, speedracer5 said:

9/17

Speedy, this comment gets a big appreciative "Ha!" from me.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:20 PM, speedracer5 said:

I'm not too excited about the SOTM selection.  Only because Sidney Poitier doesn't tend to appear in films that appeal to me.  Regardless, I am open to watching a few of them to see if any "grab" me.

NOIR ALLEY

9/7 The Big Clock

9/14 Nocturne

9/21 The Woman on the Beach

9/28 The Harder They Fall

9/1

A Kiss Before Dying.  This psychological thriller looks interesting.

9/2

In Person. A Ginger Rogers movie I haven't seen.

Treasures From the Disney Vault

9/3

Band of Angels. A film featuring Sidney Poitier.  I am also interested because it features Clark Gable and Yvonne DeCarlo.

9/8

Bunny Lake is Missing.  I like the title and the film sounds interesting as well.

The 3 Charlie Chaplin films featured during the Silent Sunday Night.

9/10

I've heard of A Patch of Blue and it sounds like it may be interesting.

9/11

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.  I borrowed this movie from the library awhile back and had to return it before I got a chance to watch it.  I'll admit that I checked it out solely for the title and the fact that it was a Criterion.

9/12

The morning programming with Where the Boys Are, Follow the Boys, When Boys Meet the Girls, etc. All those films scheduled that morning appeal to me.

9/13

Ladies They Talk About.  Yes! I've been waiting for this Barbara Stanwyck precode to air again.  This film is amusing.  It is one of my favorite subgenres--Ladies in Prison. 

9/17

9/18

Tom Jones.  I was interested in seeing this movie after Albert Finney's passing.

9/19

The Working Man. A Bette Davis movie that I haven't seen.

9/20

Back to Back of the greatest two TCM shorts--Match Your Mood and The Wonderful World of Tupperware! YES!

9/26

Dangerous Partners. An Audrey Totter movie that I haven't seen.

I noticed there are quite a few Lucille Ball films being shown during the month. Many of them during the weekdays but that should make you happy.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings