Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

should tcm consider airing TV fare?

NipkowDisc

open up the floodgates, I say. open them up to a new source of programming other than their fixed unchanging stasis coffer of pet films.

yes! they can start off with some alternative political fare like will; g. Gordon liddy and abc-tv miniseries Washington; behind closed doors with Jason Robards a hoot as president Richard Monckton.

trump's gonna be reelected so tcm get on the bandwagon!

:D

There are plenty of movies TCM has yet to show. They can show those. There are too many digital subchannels showing all those programs like Maverick and Rawhide already. They can handle the TV stuff. Let TCM stick with the films.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

There are plenty of movies TCM has yet to show. They can show those. There are too many digital subchannels showing all those programs like Maverick and Rawhide already. They can handle the TV stuff. Let TCM stick with the films.

Also they have TNT (Turner Network Television) and that's where they could be airing classic TV show episodes. TCM is for movies. Though I think classic TV movies with old time Hollywood stars could work on TCM.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Also they have TNT (Turner Network Television) and that's where they could be airing classic TV show episodes. TCM is for movies. Though I think classic TV movies with old time Hollywood stars could work on TCM.

TNT & TBS. So many TV networks show back to back episodes of the same show. (11 "Friends" in a row on TBS.) Fix that and play a larger variety of shows. I agree with TopBilled 100%. Create Turner Classic TV (TCTV).

• Like 2

"Should TCM start showing TV Fare?"

No to TV series episodes, OK to made-for-TV movies.

In my opinion they should always be looking for period movies that have been overlooked or underplayed.  First and foremost, that should be their primary goal.

Other companies or other channels can and do pick up the old TV shows.

If every single other channel they own is crap, then maybe it would be a good idea to change those other channels and put some old TV shows on them, but by no means should they offload it to TCM.  That would mean a format change.  Whether a format change happens all at once, or it creeps in slowly, that would still be a format change.

• Like 2

I can see TCM creating the occasional Made For TV theme. I am a fan of some '80s-'90s shows. While Murder, She Wrote had 4 TV movies, like other shows from the time, there were 2-part, To Be Continued episodes.

I can see In The Heat Of The Night movie, then the 2-part pilot episodes from the TV show.

Dialog from the first episode of the TV pilot:

Virgil Tibbs: I want to like you people; and I want you people to like me. But there can be no liking without respect, and until there is that respect you will call me MISTER Tibbs!

There are a half dozen or more stations that currently air old television shows. TCM doesn't need to join them.

Besides, the OP created this thread to bring up the same two TV movies that he's mentioned 100 times in previous threads, as well as mention Donald Trump, because he thinks it's funny and gets attention. And here we are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

There are a half dozen or more stations that currently air old television shows. TCM doesn't need to join them.

Besides, the OP created this thread to bring up the same two TV movies that he's mentioned 100 times in previous threads, as well as mention Donald Trump, because he thinks it's funny and gets attention. And here we are.

Sometimes he raises good questions, in  spite of his posts.

NO!!! Turner Classic Movies is for MOVIES.  Once you try to determine acceptable TV movies, it gets too confusing.  Would also open up the flood gates for all those movies of the week, etc. the networks ran into the ground in the 60's through 80's.

What about Hallmark movies?  They must do a few hundred a year.

Personally I like the TV movies that Andy Griffith made; Winter Kill (1974), Girl in the Empty Grave (1977) and Deadly Game (1977), which I have on DVD's.  These were attempts at launching new series before he hit with Matlock.

There are sufficient existing outlets for TV movies.  Furthermore, as more movies move into the "classic" range, there are thousands of regular movies that TCM needs to show, while continuing to show the movies they now show.

AND absolutely NOT to TV shows, to include the pilot "movies" for some.  There are more than enough outlets for those now - and the number is growing.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheCid said:

NO!!! Turner Classic Movies is for MOVIES.  Once you try to determine acceptable TV movies, it gets too confusing.  Would also open up the flood gates for all those movies of the week, etc. the networks ran into the ground in the 60's through 80's.

What about Hallmark movies?  They must do a few hundred a year.

Personally I like the TV movies that Andy Griffith made; Winter Kill (1974), Girl in the Empty Grave (1977) and Deadly Game (1977), which I have on DVD's.  These were attempts at launching new series before he hit with Matlock.

There are sufficient existing outlets for TV movies.  Furthermore, as more movies move into the "classic" range, there are thousands of regular movies that TCM needs to show, while continuing to show the movies they now show.

AND absolutely NOT to TV shows, to include the pilot "movies" for some.  There are more than enough outlets for those now - and the number is growing.

I hear you on the Hallmark type stuff.  Absolutely wasn't thinking of that.  They have already shown the occasional (much older) made-for-TV movie late at night.  I personally wouldn't make a habit of it, but that is their "experimental" spot.

7 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

TCM could do this just once a year. Here is what you get on TV Land: https://www.tvland.com/shows

No.

10 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

TCM could do this just once a year. Here is what you get on TV Land: https://www.tvland.com/shows

What is your point?  Are you saying TCM should show these type shows once per year?  Or are you saying that TVLand only show series and no movies?

Regardless, there are plenty of TV channels and networks showing old TV shows.  Not to mention all the internet, smartphone and whatever connections out there.  There is ONLY ONE network that shows classic movies.  Fox Movies does show some from 3 AM till 3 PM, but not a great selection.

• Thanks 1

There have been some TV movies that aired before, ones that had shown up on the sister channel TNT in the 80s and 90s for the most part, such as Young Catherine and Cold Sassy Tree (Cooperstown too I believe). Also Carol for Another Christmas, aired a few times, was originally for TV. If they do include TV movies, I do think they should be ones with links to the cinematic tradition by having beloved movie names in them. The other day in another thread, I suggested a 1985 HBO film (Finnegan Begin again) to air, and since that one has 4 Oscar nominees in it (Robert Preston, Mary Tyler Moore, Sam Waterston, Sylvia Sidney), I think it would be a good fit for TCM.

• Like 1

COZI is already showing Murder She Wrote, two episodes airing back to back as I type this. Not to mention Columbo which has numerous hollywood stars (this past Saturday had Janet Leigh and John Payne and others. Channels like this are best suited for this sort of programming. I wish they would go fully into it and show more mini series and TV movies.

No other channel does what TCM does. No need to have TCM do what others try to do. GETtv tried and it didn't work out.

• Like 2

This is all I have for TV Movies that TCM has shown.  Using IMDB properties, it looks for anything longer than 44 min, has the "TV" designation in the title (for the IMDB version I have), and excludes these Genre designations: Documentary, Biography, Talk-Show, and Music.  Only 28 entries, guys.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/adhoc_reports/TV Movies shown on TCM.htm

Technically, Screen Director's Playhouse is part of a TV series.

P.S. Ignore "License To Kill", that is a known error on the upcoming TCM Schedule.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

This is all I have for TV Movies that TCM has shown.  Using IMDB properties, it looks for anything longer than 44 min, has the "TV" designation in the title (for the IMDB version I have), and excludes these Genre designations: Documentary, Biography, Talk-Show, and Music.  Only 28 entries, guys.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/adhoc_reports/TV Movies shown on TCM.htm

Technically, Screen Director's Playhouse is part of a TV series.

Looking at that list, the Boeing Boeing (1965) that you have listed is a German TV movie. It wasn't the Tony Curtis/Jerry Lewis American theatrical comedy from the same year? And the License to Kill that you have listed is likely a mistake, as that will almost certainly be the James Bond movie that is shown. Some of the others were on TV in other countries, but theatrical releases here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Looking at that list, the Boeing Boeing (1965) that you have listed is a German TV movie. It wasn't the Tony Curtis/Jerry Lewis American theatrical comedy from the same year? And the License to Kill that you have listed is likely a mistake, as that will almost certainly be the James Bond movie that is shown. Some of the others were on TV in other countries, but theatrical releases here.

Yeah I hadn't combed through this to see what's what.  The Boeing Boeing entry looks like a legitimate error on my part, which I will correct.

On a side note, this is an inadvertent good way to cross-check for errors in my data that have entries marked as "TV" but that should be something else.  I saw World On A Wire though, that was the real deal. :P

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

What is your point?  Are you saying TCM should show these type shows once per year?  Or are you saying that TVLand only show series and no movies?

Regardless, there are plenty of TV channels and networks showing old TV shows.  Not to mention all the internet, smartphone and whatever connections out there.  There is ONLY ONE network that shows classic movies.  Fox Movies does show some from 3 AM till 3 PM, but not a great selection.

Nevermind. Bad idea and foolish thread. I find the Trump BS offensive. 

• Confused 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings