Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

should tcm consider airing TV fare?

I think these made-for-TV biopics would be appropriate on TCM:

Bud and Lou (1978) NBC --- Harvey Korman and Buddy Hackett star as Abbott and Costello

Rainbow (1978) NBC --- Andrea McArdle stars as Judy Garland

Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001) ABC --- Tammy Blanchard and Judy Davis portray younger and older Judy; plus Hugh Laurie, John Benjamin Hickey, Sonja Smits, Dwayne Adams, and Al Waxman starring as Vincente Minnelli, Roger Edens, Kay Thompson, Mickey Rooney, and Louis B. Mayer (respectively) 

Mae West (1982) ABC --- Ann Jillian stars as Mae

The Ann Jillian Story (1988) NBC --- Ann portrays herself  (no kidding)

My Wicked, Wicked Ways: The Legend of Errol Flynn (1985) CBS --- Duncan Regehr stars as Errol; plus Hal Linden, Lee Purcell, and Stefan Gierasch as Jack L. Warner, Olivia de Havilland, and Michael Curtiz (respectively)

Ernie Kovacs: Between the Laughter (1984) ABC --- Jeff Goldblum and Melody Anderson star as Kovacs and Edie Adams

The Three Stooges (2000) ABC --- Paul Ben-Victor, Evan Handler, Michael Chiklis, John Kassir, Laurence Coy, Peter Callan, and Marton Csokas star as Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Joe, Curly-Joe, and Ted Healy (respectively)  

Grace Kelly (1983) ABC --- Cheryl Ladd stars as Grace

The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004) HBO --- Geoffrey Rush, Charlize Theron, John Lithgow, Sonia Aquino, and Stanley Tucci star as Sellers, Britt Ekland, Blake Edwards, Sophia Loren, and Stanley Kubrick (respectively)

Martin and Lewis (2002) CBS --- Jeremy Northam and Sean Hayes star as Dean and Jerry

Gleason (2002) CBS --- Brad Garrett and Michael Chieffo star as the Great One and Art Carney

On 6/10/2019 at 4:05 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

No to TV series episodes, OK to made-for-TV movies. Other companies or other channels can and do pick up the old TV shows.

Nuff said.

I know I bumped and knock down a beehive by asking if made for TV movies could qualify for scheduling on TCM.  I will probably be seen as a hypocrite by stating after further review I remember TCM showing the same TV special twice in one evening a few years ago. 

Frank Sinatra was the Star of the Month I believe and TCM programmer thought it would be advantageous to show his November 1965 TV special which ironically won an Emmy for that year.  That TV special was one of the best TV specials I have ever seen in my life.  I had never seen nor heard of this TV special until that evening when TCM showed it.  It was wonderful and to top it all off Frank had a cold while taping the TV special and he sounded magnificent.  

If TCM programmer could consider a made for TV movie, TV episode and/or TV special which is acceptable to TCM's criteria for quality cinema/programming on the network and has relevance to the career of the actor/actress who is Star of the Month then I say let them enlighten us.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, thomasterryjr said:

I know I bumped and knock down a beehive by asking if made for TV movies could qualify for scheduling on TCM.  I will probably be seen as a hypocrite by stating after further review I remember TCM showing the same TV special twice in one evening a few years ago. 

Frank Sinatra was the Star of the Month I believe and TCM programmer thought it would be advantageous to show his November 1965 TV special which ironically won an Emmy for that year.  That TV special was one of the best TV specials I have ever seen in my life.  I had never seen nor heard of this TV special until that evening when TCM showed it.  It was wonderful and to top it all off Frank had a cold while taping the TV special and he sounded magnificent.  

If TCM programmer could consider a made for TV movie, TV episode and/or TV special which is acceptable to TCM's criteria for quality cinema/programming on the network and has relevance to the career of the actor/actress who is Star of the Month then I say let them enlighten us.

Yes, I too feel this criteria makes sense and should continue to be used in the future, and as it has in the past, to be TCM's primary justification for airing any TV fare.

(...still though and with this being said, I'd still now like to put a plug in for a made-for-TV movie from 1983 which I recall being very very well made and in fact won 4 Emmys that year including one for Outstanding Drama Special, and a film I wouldn't mind as all if TCM would ever decide to broadcast it, and even though it would not meet the above stated criteria...it is titled Special Bulletin, and is presented much in the same fashion as Orson Welles' (in)famous War of the Worlds radio broadcast of 1938, but is updated and uses recreated modern day (1980s) television news broadcasts as a means to tell the tale of terrorists obtaining a nuclear bomb as a bargaining chip and in an effort to have the U.S. Govt meet their demands)

On 7/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, thomasterryjr said:

acceptable to TCM's criteria for quality cinema

How to explain TCM's showing of so many crappy movies? Just because they appeared on a theater screen?

There were many movies made for television, and starring major golden age Hollywood actors, that are head and shoulders better in overall quality than some of the offerings TCM puts on schedule regularly.

I'm not complaining, I'm just saying that banning movies that were made for television eliminates good movies from being seen. I wish TCM would show all movies.

34 minutes ago, BrownShoes said:

How to explain TCM's showing of so many crappy movies?

Could you provide examples of at least some of what you think are the "so many crappy movies" TCM is showing? That's a strong statement without providing any support evidence.

• Like 1

Well, that could be because, as the song suggests....  ;)

But seriously, there's a need to insist people simply post  "movies I don't care for" instead of "crappy movies". 

After all...  One man's "crap" is another man's creme brulee;) (Or the same, bad as I cook!  :D ) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Could you provide examples of at least some of what you think are the "so many crappy movies" TCM is showing? That's a strong statement without providing any support evidence.

What would be the point of singling out any particular movie that I think of as crappy?

Unless you think that everything that plays on TCM is "quality cinema" (as was the description to which I responded), I'm sure you can find your own crappy movies. You don't need mine.

16 minutes ago, BrownShoes said:

What would be the point of singling out any particular movie that I think of as crappy?

Unless you think that everything that plays on TCM is "quality cinema" (as was the description to which I responded), I'm sure you can find your own crappy movies. You don't need mine.

Well the term 'so many' doesn't provide much context and thus it gets some of us old-timers curious.

E.g.   would you say that you find 10% of what TCM shows as 'crappy'?   20%?    

For me,  I would say around 10%.   The bigger issue for me is that I've seen over 50% of what TCM shows on any given day.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

would you say that you find 10% of what TCM shows as 'crappy'?   20%?

I don't know.

On the classic scale of 2 and a half stars or more being worth watching, I'd say anything that rates less than 2 and a half stars is crappy or, at least, approaching crappy.

I see many movies on TCM's schedule that rate 2 stars or less. To me, that is. And to many critics as well, although I couldn't care less what they think.

Just now, BrownShoes said:

I don't know.

On the classic scale of 2 and a half stars or more being worth watching, I'd say anything that rates less than 2 and a half stars is crappy or, at least, approaching crappy.

I see many movies on TCM's schedule that rate 2 stars or less. To me, that is. And to many critics as well, although I couldn't care less what they think.

Would you welcome TCM showing more post-1980 films that you believe are 3 or more stars (instead of 'golden-era' 2 star stuff)?

I ask because that is also a constant debate around here;   while generally there is agreement TCM should premier more films,   some what them mostly from that golden-era while others would welcome more recent movies.    E.g.  The Man Who Wasn't There.    

26 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well the term 'so many' doesn't provide much context and thus it gets some of us old-timers curious.

E.g.   would you say that you find 10% of what TCM shows as 'crappy'?   20%?    

For me,  I would say around 10%.   The bigger issue for me is that I've seen over 50% of what TCM shows on any given day.   

What he said.

I would like to ask our esteem colleague, Brown Shoes, a question which might take some research on his or her part by looking at the Friday schedule for the month of July 2019. 

You state TCM schedules mostly two star or less movies.  I am interested in your opinion:  TCM is showing movies from what is regarded the greatest year of cinema, 1939.  Of all of the movies TCM is showing from the year 1939 which do you regard as four star movies and which do you regard as two stars and less?   I am asking because your opinions about movies shown on TCM are very strong, valued, interesting and will most likely stimulate much conversation on this thread.  Thank you.

10 minutes ago, thomasterryjr said:

I would like to ask our esteem colleague, Brown Shoes, a question which might take some research on his or her part by looking at the Friday schedule for the month of July 2019. 

You state TCM schedules mostly two star or less movies.  I am interested in your opinion:  TCM is showing movies from what is regarded the greatest year of cinema, 1939.  Of all of the movies TCM is showing from the year 1939 which do you regard as four star movies and which do you regard as two stars and less?   I am asking because your opinions about movies shown on TCM are very strong, valued, interesting and will most likely stimulate much conversation on this thread.  Thank you.

For the Friday of July 19th;   TCM is showing 10 1939 films.    Only Lady of the Topics is OK,  The Girl from Mexico I haven't seen but the other 8 are mostly first rate (while I'm not a fan of Bachelor Mother,  I know others rate this one highly).