Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1967

1967 was a critical year for Fox for several reasons, and would have a lasting impact that was felt for a few years afterwards.

Up first here is The Jackals, a remake of Yellow Sky, this time with Vincent Price.

Jackalsdvdcover.jpg

Troy Donohue got on the secret agent spoof phase in Come Spy with Me.

MV5BMjU3ZjY4MmEtZGZjYy00MDMzLWE4YzMtZDgw

Hammer countered with Prehistoric Women starring Martine Bestwick.

MV5BZWMxZWE1YzItYTEzMi00YjMzLWEwZDAtYjE1

The Witches was the end of the line for Joan Fontaine.

The_Witches_poster.jpg

This is actually a foreign poster (rather demure considering) for One million Years BC which made Raquel Welsh into queen of the pin-ups.

MV5BMTc0NzkzMjEwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTU0

The Hammer phase continued with The Mummy's Shroud

The-Mummys-Shroud-poster.jpg

In Like Flint was a return for James Coburn. Don't get me started on it......

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_In_Li

Hammer went back to Shelley country in Frankenstein Created Woman

MV5BYjE2MzA5MTctMGQ5My00ODk0LWIxNDktZjEx

Paul Newman had one of his best regarded films, in the esteemed western Hombre

Hombre_(film).jpg

While Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney also scored some of their best notices for the brittle yet delicate and moving Two for the Road.

Two_road_moviep.jpg

Mel Ferrer, Audrey's husband, meanwhile, was playing El Greco in Europe.

MV5BODJlMmVhZmMtNzc3Yi00ZTIzLThhNjYtMzAw

A guide for the Married Man was a big all-star comedy, but don't get me started on this one either....

A-guide-for-the-married-man.jpg

Doris Day made her last trip to Fox in Caprice. I found it to be rather funny, but I went in with very low expectations. Still a lively Day comedy under any means is welcome by me!

Caprice_(film)_poster.jpg

Jason Robards, George Segel, and Ralph Mekker topped the bill in the mob film The St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Future star Bruce Dern had a small role, and future superstar Jack Nicholson was unbilled.

The_St._Valentine's_Day_Massacre_film_po

Hammer turned to the Viking Queen

MV5BYzdiMjgzYWQtNzFjMy00MTQ4LTgyNzEtYzlk

The Flim Flam Man was an amiable little film, rich in rural Southern flavor, about a con man, well played by George C Scott, and his young reluctant protege, played by Michael Serrazin, in excellent form.

Flim-Flam_Man_poster.jpg

the Cape Town Affair was a remake of Pickup on South Street, with Claire Trevor in the Thelma Ritter part.

MV5BN2E0Y2IyY2EtNjhkMC00ZDRkLThlZDgtZjgw

Tom Courtenay, Sam Wanamaker, Colin Blakely, and Candise Bergen dealt with an exploding island in The Day the Fish Came Out.

MV5BMTE4MWIyNTktMjZhMC00ZTBkLWIwOWUtNTZk

Martin Sheen debuted in the noir the Incident.

The_Incident_(1967_film).jpg

Another noir was Tony Rome, a wonderful vehicle for Frank Sinatra.

MV5BMjgzNjA2ODk2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODc5

The old Faust legend was turned into a dark comedy in Bedazzled.

MV5BNTRkNWEwMzYtMTM1Zi00Yjc4LWJjZTQtZjlh

The latest in the spy game was Raquel Welch in Fathom.

MV5BNTAwOThmYzktYzJkOC00YTMxLWJmNjQtZGFh

Valley of the Dolls was immensely successful, but became established as a sort of camp cult classic. Perhaps it was because of the scene with Susan Hayward, Patty Duke, and the wig which is permanently etched in my memory.

MV5BMTQ4NDYzNzk1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUw

Doctor Doolittle was the last film of the year. As a children's film, its charming enough, but it spelled big trouble ahead....

Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Docto

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a motley assortment. I consider Doctor Dolittle one of the worst big budget films of the decade. The Day the Fish Came Out was a train wreck. Valley of the Dolls has a certain trashy appeal, but not as much as Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

I still need to see Two for the Road and Guide for the Married Man, but otherwise my top pick is Bedazzled.

• Like 1

I agree with Larry. This was a terrible year for Fox. There are only a small handful of films worth recommending from this batch.

1. HOMBRE
2. THE INCIDENT...it was Thelma Ritter's last one
3. TWO FOR THE ROAD
4. THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE...shows what Corman could do with an "A" picture and a decent budget.

• Like 1

My favorite film of 1967 is also my favorite comedy of the decade:

1.  Bedazzled (sorry Graduate)

2.  Two for the Road (maybe even more enjoyable today)

3.  The Film Flam Man (great cast makes this comedy work)

4.  The Incident (uncomfortable at times, but who needs comfort?)

5.  Hombre (not as good as The Hustler or Hud, but good enough for Newman)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Not a good year for Fox, though I am a big fan of Hombre (especially Diane Cilento, who is great), and Two for the Road, The Flim Flam Man, and Bedazzled are good, but the studio is a long way away from the heights of its glory years.

• Like 2

Raquel Welch had a busy year for Fox, didn't she? Talk about striking while the iron is hot. Hammer, horror and spy parodies seem to define the year.

Bedazzled is a classic and it's the most I've liked Dudley Moore, whose befuddled everyman persona seems to have gotten away from him over the years. Eleanor Bron was fun and I wish I'd seen more of her work. 

Valley of the Dolls is one for the ages, though for all the wrong reasons, of course. It's one of those movies-gone-wrong which continue to fascinate generation after generation. Prehistoric Women has also become a guilty pleasure to a lesser degree.

Two for the Road is admirable, but it's unpleasant enough that I'm rarely drawn to watch it. 

Guide for the Married Man would never survive a screening in the Me-Too era. It was an extremely weird project for Gene Kelly to have attached his name to.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DougieB said:

Guide for the Married Man would never survive a screening in the Me-Too era. It was an extremely weird project for Gene Kelly to have attached his name to.

I've seen it. Didn't like it at all. I looked at my log and found out i saw it about 2 months before the #metoo movement hit (August of 2017). Since i didn't like it and found it queasy then, I wonder how bad it would look now....

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

I've seen it. Didn't like it at all. I looked at my log and found out i saw it about 2 months before the #metoo movement hit (August of 2017). Since i didn't like it and found it queasy then, I wonder how bad it would look now....

I have it in my queue to watch when I get to '67. Some people around here gave it a recommendation a while back.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings