Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1968

Well, Doolittle had its impact. For the next few years, Fox was on very shaky ground.

The Legend of Custer was a low-budget Western.

MV5BNWFjMDQ4N2EtNmMzZS00MjhiLTk1NzktOTNm

bette Davis sunk her teeth into playing a black-hearted matriarch in The Anniversary.

The_Anniversary_(film)_poster.jpg

Planet of the Apes was a gargantuan hit, one of the best known sci-fi films of all time, and a major aid for Fox in troubled times. Many more films would follow.

PlanetoftheapesPoster.jpg

back to Hammer country in Quartermass and the Pit.

MV5BNjVhNTFiOWEtM2M5Yi00NGJlLWFhYWYtY2Y3

The Further Perils of Laurel and Hardy was a loving retrospective of the beloved comedy duo.

MV5BMTQxMDg3ODkyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM3

Deborah Kerr and David Niven decided to spice up their images in the swinging sex comedy Prudence and the Pill.

MV5BNTA3MGU1NzMtZGM0ZC00MTQ0LThlYTItYmQ4

Frank Sinatra was also shattering some images by appearing in The Detective, where he investigates the brutal murder of a gay man

Film_Poster_for_The_Detective.jpg

bandolero has to have one of the stranger casts for any western (not to mention, Jimmy and Dino as brothers!)

Bandolero!_(movie_poster).jpg

Michael Sarrazin and Jacqueline Bisset, who dated for a while, here in a very dark take on the beach film, The Sweet Ride. Produced by Joe Pasternack of all people!

MV5BYzA2ZDNmZmEtOTc2Ni00NzBhLTg4MTctYjM5

Hammer returned with The lost Continent

Lost_Continent_1968.jpg

Anne Jackson and Walter Matthau were illicit lovers in The Secret Life of an American Wife.

original-film-title-the-secret-life-of-a

A much seen character returned in A Challenge to Robin Hood.

%22A_Challenge_for_Robin_Hood%22(1967).j

Deadfall decided a crime film was too mundane and added many different twists that were very provacative (include a definitely illegal marriage)

Deadfall_(1968_film).jpg

The Vatican Affair had the unusual pairing of Walter Pidgeon and Klaus Kinski.

MV5BNjRhNjU3NjYtZmQ3ZS00YWFhLWFhN2MtYzJl

Tony Curtis got some of his best reviews for playing The Boston Strangler.

The_Boston_Strangler.JPG

More financial headaches in store with Star! By no means a great film, but still a good one with a fine Julie andrews performance. Film debut for Jenny Agutter in a small, unbilled part.

MV5BMTMwMDg0MjctYWU0MS00YzdiLTg4NjMtNjJh

Tuesday Weld and Anthony Perkins were perfect in the brilliant psychological thriller Pretty Poison, also with an eye catching supporting turn from Beverly Garland.

Prettypoison1.jpg

The Touchables was the first swing into hippie country by Fox.

MV5BZGY4Y2ExZjAtMGExOC00NDljLTlmYzYtZGI3

Lady in Cement found Frank Sinatra back as Tony Rome, this time with Raquel Welch, Lainie Kazan, and Dan Blocker.

MV5BMTQwOTYxODQ3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDMw

Back to the hippies with Joanna, a swinging tale with an early part for Donald Sutherland.

MV5BYzA1MTI2NzctNmE3NC00NTg2LWFjOTItZDM2

A Flea in Her Ear had an unfortunate title but was a pretty good screen farce.

MV5BNDY0Nzk4NzEyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTg4

Back to Hammer with The Devil Rides Out

MV5BOWNhYmYxZjAtYTk4Zi00NmU3LTg1MzUtOTgx

And last, Michael Caine, Anthony Quinn, Candice Bergen, and Anna Karina is the jigsaw-like The Magus.

The_Magus_FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some good stuff here. Planet of the Apes is at the top of the list for me. Quatermass and the Pit aka Five Million Years to Earth and The Devil Rides Out are two of the best Hammer movies. I also liked Pretty Poison and The Boston Strangler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the studio was back on track this year. Lots of good dark-themed stories.

My top 10:

1. THE DETECTIVE
2. PLANET OF THE APES
3. STAR!
4. THE BOSTON STRANGLER
5. PRETTY POISON
6. PRUDENCE AND THE PILL
7. DEADFALL
8. LADY IN CEMENT
9. THE ANNIVERSARY
10. THE SWEET RIDE

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This was the year I strayed away from movie-going, so I missed most of these at the time and had to get caught up gradually through television viewings. I must have seen The Magus because I liked the book, but I have no memory of it now.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings