Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1969

Sign of the times. There were only 18 Fox films in 1969, but there were still some very noteworthy ones.

Decline and Fall of a Birdwatcher was a cheeky British comedy about a troubled man who had innocent intentions although others thought he didn't

MV5BMTIyOTU0MzAzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ2

Michael York and Rita Tushingham went to India for the early Merchant Ivory effort The Guru.

The_Guru.jpg

Maggie Smith offered one of the greatest female performances of the 60s in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, and Pamela Franklin was excellent as well as the student who brought her down.

MV5BMTcwMDUxNDE0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzgz

Jim Brown, Raquel Welsh, and Burt Reynolds headed up the tough western 100 Rifles

MV5BODc2YmYzYmYtM2RkMi00MWU1LTgzYjQtZDNl

Doctor Glas was an import from Denmark directed by Mai Zetterling

MV5BN2U3MjlmNzUtY2NhZS00ZmEzLTllZTMtMDE4

James Coburn was an amoral hitman falling for Lee Remick in Hard Contract.

MV5BMDMxYTZkZDYtOTVlYi00YWQ5LTkxNmEtMTVi

The Last Shot You Hear was curtains for Hugh Marlowe.

MV5BODcyOWE5NmUtYTFiNC00NTliLWIxZDAtNDBj

The Boys of Paul Street came from Hungary and was an Oscar nominee.

MV5BYzgyMjdkNjAtYjMxMC00OTVlLWJkMGEtNGQ3

Gregory Peck was a spy in China in The Chairman

Chairmanposter1969.jpg

Che! was Omar Sharif, and Jack Palance was Fidel Castro.

ChePoster.jpg

Secret World found Jacqueline Bisset as a blonde awakening feelings of puberty in a young boy. it was an unusual film, quiet but well handled. And no, no unlawful passion scenes here.

-4583042807565905434.jpg

George Cukor came to Fox to make the provocative Justine.

Justine_(1969).jpg

Rex Harrison and Richard Burton were longtime companions in Staircase.

Poster_of_the_movie_Staircase.jpg

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was a walloping hit and a great time.

Butch_sundance_poster.jpg

Anjelica Huston made her debut in her father's A Walk with Love and Death, betyter than its reputation would indicate.

MV5BMDA0YzcwMTQtYjJhYS00ZWY5LTgzYzMtMmQ4

The Archangel starred Vittorio Gassmann

204970-l-arcangelo-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?

Rock Hudson joined John Wayne out west in The Undefeated.

The_Undefeated_-_Film_Poster.jpg

Dustin Hoffman and Mia Farrow were touching as two who met in a singles bar and were wondering if their love was more than a one night thing in John and Mary.

John_and_mary_poster.jpg

And Hello Dolly was a fun adaptation of the famous musical, and was definitely more entertaining than Doctor Doolittle or Star.

HelloDollyFilmPoster.jpg

• Like 2

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is way ahead of the pack for me, followed at a distance by The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.

I've seen several of them, but most were just bland, like The ChairmanHard ContractJohn and Mary, and Justine.

100 Rifles was passable. So was The Undefeated, but I can't recall much of that one.

I thought A Walk with Love and Death was dull. Hello Dolly was what it was. Not my cup of tea, as they say.

Che! was atrocious.

• Like 1

JesusMaryandJoseph. This is a bad-bad batch. I'm probably the only person who feels BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID is overrated.

I despise Streisand's "acting" in HELLO DOLLY. I'll take Shirley Booth in THE MATCHMAKER any day.

My favorite would be THE PRIME RIB OF MISS JEAN BRODIE (my pet name for it). 

I like JUSTINE. And I think THE UNDEFEATED is a solid western with a title that would have worked better for a war film.

The rest of these movies you can throw in the trash...especially STAIRCASE, which is the worst.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Fortunately, Hollywood film preservationists can't save every film. Most of the ones that Fox made this year belong on the scrap heap and should have been burned in 1970 to save future generations from seeing them.

I can't wait to watch Staircase:lol:

• Haha 1

Staircase was made at a time when any movie made about homosexuality was welcome, just acknowledging that it existed. In the past fifty years, however, many more movies about gay men have been made, and most of them are better than Staircase. The play it was based on is not very profound.

I've always been curious about Justine and A Walk With Love and Death. I had never heard of Hard Contract, but might want to see it for Lee Remick. John and Mary was expected to be a big hit: Dustin Hoffman! Mia Farrow! Peter Yates! (a hot director at that moment). The movie opened big, disappeared, and sank out of sight. I've never seen it, and hadn't thought of it in years.

I recently saw Hello, Dolly! on the big screen and was surprised at how much I liked it. Some of the musical numbers are quite well done, especially "Put On Your Sunday Clothes," and Michael Crawford is really charming, Nice visuals and sets, too.

• Like 2

I came to Hello Dolly! many years after the fact and ended up liking it too. 

I had high hopes for Justine because I loved The Alexandria Quartet, but have never really been happy with the movie, despite the intriguing cast.

It's so amazing that Maggie Smith is still working. She was and is one of the greats.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DougieB said:

It's so amazing that Maggie Smith is still working. She was and is one of the greats.

She most definitely is. I can't think of anyone who's had a career like she has. She was always fantastic, but somehow seems to have gotten better with time.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings