Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1972

There were more Fox films in 1972 than there were in most of the rest, if not all of the rest, of the 70s thanks to a production deal with the soon to be shuttered Palomar Pictures, a division of ABC.

Blindman was a spaghetti western that co-starred Ringo Starr.

Blindman.jpg

Robert Redford and George Segal were up for a jewel heist in The hot Rock.

Hot_rock2.jpg

Jean-Louis Trintignant was on the trail of a mysterious serial killer in Without Apparent Motive.

Without_Apparent_Motive.jpg

The Concert for Bangladesh was a filmed version of George Harrison's fundraiser for the troubled nation.

MV5BMTgyMzU3NjA3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTAx

The Culpepper Cattle Company was a re-visionary Western

Culpepper-cattle-co.jpg

The Other was a horror film involving two creepy twin brothers

Theother1972poster.jpg

Fillmore was the latest rock foray.

FillmoreDVD.jpg

What Became of Jack and Jill was a British horror film

MV5BM2MwMzhjNWYtYTM0MC00YzQyLWE4NTEtOGEy

Bonnie Bedilia was the title character in The Strange Vengeance of Rosalie

The_Strange_Vengeance_of_Rosalie.jpg

The apes returned again

Conquest_of_the_planet_of_the_apes.jpg

To Kill a Clown was a psychological thriller with Alan Alda and Blythe Danner

To_Kill_a_Clown_poster.jpg

Barry Newman and Anna Karina featured in the thriller The Salzburg Connection

MV5BMTIwMjg5MTQ3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE0

Joe Don Baker headed up Welcome Home, Soldier Boys a road film with a dark twist

Welcome_Home,_Soldier_Boys_poster.jpg

Sounder was one of the most praised family films of the 70s, a landmark for African-American cinema, and a completely wonderful film.

MV5BYmU0ZDhlNWQtZDI1OC00ODdmLWI3MTktYTI0

The Darwin Adventure dealt with the scientist's trip to South America

The_Darwin_Adventure_poster.jpg

Hammer was back with Vampire Circus.

Vampirecircus.jpg

When the Legends Die was a western with Richard Widmark.

MV5BMDgzN2ViMjUtZjNhOS00Y2YyLWE5YTAtOWMx

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie won the Foreign Film Oscar for 1972

Discreet-charm-poster.jpg

Trouble Man drove into the then popular blaxploitation film genre.

Trouble_man_poster.jpg

And Hope to Die was a kidnapping saga with Jean-Louis Trintignant and Robert Ryan.

And_Hope_to_Die.jpg

And then the game changer. The Poseidon Adventure (coupled with a rerelease of The Sound of Music) lifted Fox out of the red and back to solvency. It is one of the best of the disaster genre so common in the 70s and Shelley Winters is very touching and moving in it.

MV5BYmM0ZDRkZGEtNTFmNS00MDg1LThkNWItZmU1

The Heartbreak Kid was brutally funny, a comedy where the "hero" is a cad and the sympathy is extended to the wronged wife instead. As that wife, Jeannie Berlin stole the whole show, but in truth most of this Neil Simon-Elaine May film worked extremely well.

The_Heartbreak_Kid_(1972_film).jpg

Joanne Woodward was directed by her husband on the adaptation of the Pulitzer winning play The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds.

MV5BMDlmNDQ4NDUtODA0Mi00Y2U5LWEyMjUtNjMy

Sleuth was the last round for Joseph Mankiwietz. The Olivier-Caine thriller was very well reviewed, even if this viewer couldn't help thinking that at over 130 minutes, it was a bit overextended.

Sleuth_movie.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some gems here, definitely.

My top 10:

Screen shot 2017-03-25 at 8.14.48 PM.png

1. THE OTHER
2. THE HOT ROCK
3. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
4. SOUNDER
5. WHEN THE LEGENDS DIE
6. THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS
7. THE CULPEPPER CATTLE CO.
8. SLEUTH
9. CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
10. THE HEARTBREAK KID

• Thanks 1

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is my favorite of the year, but it seems weird to consider it a Fox movie. After that it's Sleuth (which needs a good Blu-ray release), The Heartbreak Kid, and The Hot Rock. I've seen When the Legend DiesSounderThe Other, the Apes movie, Vampire Circus (better than I expected), and Trouble Man. They have their fans, but I thought they were mostly forgettable. The Poseidon Adventure is one that I never got the appeal of, despite the excellent cast. I haven't seen the rest.

So many good movies are favorites of mine. Sounder, Sleuth, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, The Other, The Poseidon Adventure, I never get tired of watching those movies.

I also like The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, with excellent performances by Joanne Woodward, Nell Potts, and Roberta Wallach.

Jeannie Berlin was smashing in The Heartbreak Kid.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings