Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1973

A very thin slate for 1973, only 14 films.... and a year later in the decade would have only 7. :blink:

Johnny Cash and his wife June started the year with The Gospel Road, a look at Biblical events

Gospel_Road_A_Story_of_Jesus_poster.jpg

Ace Eli and Roger of the Sky was a barnstorming tale with Cliff Robertson, Pamela Franklin, Eric Shea, and debuting Bernadette Peters. The idea for the story was thought up by Steven Spielberg.

Ace_eli_and_rodger_of_the_skies.jpg

Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin were pitted against each other as hobos in Robert Aldrich's Emperor of the North Pole.

Emperor-of-the-North-Pole-Poster.jpg

And then back to Brit horror.

The_Legend_of_Hell_House.jpg

The apes disappeared after this. They would return in 2001.

Battle_for_the_planet_of_the_apes.jpg

Jeff Bridges had one of his earliest leads in the racing film the Last American Hero, with Valerie Perrine and Geraldine Fitzgerald.

MV5BNDczN2UzZjUtMDNhOS00NThhLWE5MjQtY2Zj

The Neptune Factor was underwater sci-fi with Ben Gazzara, Yvette Mimieux, and Walter Pidgeon

The_neptune_factor_poster.jpg

Paul Winfield then turned vigilante.

Gordons_war_poster_01.jpg

Dennis Hopper was a Western antihero in Kid Blue.

KidBlue.jpg

Hex was a biker horror film. you read that right. Keith Carradine and Cristina Raines starred.

MV5BODgxZDllMDEtZDVkNi00NWI5LTk3ZjctM2Zl

John Houseman grabbed an Oscar for playing the impetuous professor in The Paper Chase, a much admired film that spawned a much beloved TV show.

Poster_of_The_Paper_Chase.jpg

Roy Scheider was back to the world of cops, criminals, and fast cars in The Seven-Ups

The_Seven-Ups_1973.jpg

Cinderella Liberty was a big hit and established Marsha Mason's screen career.

Cinderella_liberty_movie_poster.jpg

And lastly Walter Matthau, Bruce Dern, and Louis Gossett Jr all featured in the dark tale The Laughing Policeman.

Laughing-policeman-poster.jpg

• Like 5

The Legend of Hell House is my favorite, one of the best horror films of the decade, and one of the best haunted house films ever. After that, I liked The Seven-UpsThe Laughing Policeman, Kid BlueEmperor of the North, and  Cinderella Liberty. I've also seen The Paper Chase and The Last American Hero, but they left me unmoved. The Apes movie was the least of the year, although a couple of those that I haven't seen look worse.

• Thanks 1

I'd say EMPEROR OF THE NORTH is my favorite from this year. I also like THE PAPER CHASE.

THE NEPTUNE FACTOR feels like a TV movie with Walter Pidgeon very much past his prime.

CINDERELLA LIBERTY is decent. Anything with James Caan in the 70s is usually worth seeing.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings