Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1975

Please note: I am not going to include one film listed as a Fox release in 1975 elsewhere, because the film, Tarzoon, Shame of the Jungle, an X-rated animated spoof, was only handled by Fox in France and nowhere else in the world.

1975 began with Jason Miller, fresh off The Exorcist, in a neo-noir The Nickel Ride.

Poster_of_the_movie_The_Nickel_Ride.jpg

The Four Musketeers was the second half of the tale started the year prior in The Three Musketeers, but this time in a darker, more serious vein.

Four_Musketeers_1975.jpg

At Long Last Love was Peter Bogdanovich's attempt to pay homage to 30s musicals. It was firebombed at the time by critics, but a recut version has found more favor in subsequent years

MV5BYjUzYjA2Y2MtOWEyOC00OTgyLTg0NmUtZDgy

Sean Connery was pitted against Ian McShane in the hijacking film The Terrorists

MV5BZjRlZjcwNTctYWQ4Ny00MzY0LTgxOTYtOTg3

Ben Gazzara as Capone. Many mob battles would follow.

Caponeposter1975.jpg

Gene Hackman was back as Popeye Doyle in The French Connection II, well-reviewed and somewhat successful, but not the box office smash that the first film had been.

MV5BMzZmZWIwNmItOTM4MS00N2FjLThlYTctNDYx

WW and the Dixie Dancekings mixed crime, comedy, and country crooning, and with Burt Reynolds in the lead did quite well in audience attendance.

W.W._and_the_Dixie_Dancekings.jpg

Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, and Loretta Swit ran afoul of a satanic cult in Race with the Devil

MV5BYzU0ZjMwZWQtZWVhZS00M2M4LTk3NjQtMWJm

The Man from Hong Kong crossed Kung Fu with the Australian New Wave.

TheManFromHongKong.jpg

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is perhaps the most successful cult film of all time. Screenings have never stopped since 1975.

MV5BMjE5NDc0NjE2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE4

Black Moon was an avant-garde fable from Louis Malle....

Blackmoonposter.jpg

Who promply returned with another, Lacombe Lucien (actually released a year earlier in Europe)

LacombeLucien.jpg

Glenda Jackson appeared in the Italian offering The Devil is a Woman

MV5BMGI3NmQ0NzYtNTk2OS00Zjg4LWE1NTQtMDM5

Malcolm McDowell was an antihero in the period set Royal Flash.

MV5BMTQ1MjAxNTIyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTIy

Whiffs was a comedy set among the army, again with Elliott Gould

Whiffs-movie-poster-1975.jpg

Down the Ancient Staircase took Italian cinema back to the US

MV5BNWMwZjJkZDUtNzI5Ni00ZmJmLTkwYWYtMGY2

Take a Hard Ride was another dip into the spaghetti western.

TakeAHardRidePoster.jpg

The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother was a vehicle for the comic talents of Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, and Madeline Kahn. 

MV5BMTVmMDlkMzgtZjY4Ny00ZmQ5LWE0Y2MtMmY0

Liza Minnelli, Gene Hackman, and Burt Reynolds made for an unusual love triangle in the comedy-crime film Lucky Lady.

Lucky_lady_poster.jpg

And Michael Caine investigated a very unusual case in Peeper, which found him entangled with a slightly dangerous woman played by Natalie Wood. It's amusing at times.

MV5BMzhlMDY2Y2YtMzQ1ZS00OWY0LWFmYWEtYjFm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show
  2. French Connection II
  3. Lacombe, Lucien
  4. The Four Musketeers
  5. Race with the Devil
  6. Take a Hard Ride (which was a Blaxploitation/spaghetti western mash-up)

I've also seen The Nickel RideW.W. and the Dixie DancekingsThe TerroristsCaponeA Royal Flash, Lucky Lady, and Peeper.

• Thanks 1

I haven't seen very many of these. Some I'd never heard of before.

I do like LUCKY LADY. It's very subversive and funny. Liza and Burt re-teamed in the 80s when they did RENT-A-COP.

PEEPER is one that TCM's never played, which is remarkable given how many tributes they've had for Natalie. She only made three films in the 70s-- this one, THE CANDIDATE (a cameo) and METEOR (which came at the end of the decade).

• Like 1

I'd like to see At Long Last Love again. At the time, it was impossible not to see it under the cloud of so much condemnation. I didn't realize that it had been recut, so I'd love to give it another chance. Plus any opportunity to see Madeline Kahn is worth taking.

• Like 2

I never saw Rocky Horror Picture Show until years later, when my late wife and I were still dating. We went to a midnight show, without bringing any lighters, newspapers, rice, and whatever else the rest of the audience were bringing. Totally clueless. But we enjoyed all the craziness around us.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings