Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1976

Hugo the Hippo was the first fully animated film that Fox had financed. Actually they only distributed it.

Hugothehippo.jpg

Vittorio Gassman starred in the Italian import Scent of a Woman, the basis for the later American film with Al Pacino.

ProfumoDiDonna.jpg

Next Stop Greenwich Village was a coming-of-age film offered up by Paul Mazursky. It also featured early supporting turns for Christopher Walken and Jeff Goldblum.

MV5BNzlmNjFhNDctMzUxNi00ZDNiLWEyYjgtYzQ3

Diane Keaton and Elliott Gould were exes considering recomittal or were they in I Will I Will For Now

MV5BZWU3ZjUzODItY2JhNC00NDJmLTk3MGYtNjc3

James Coburn used hangglinders to rescue kidnapped Susannah York in Sky Riders

Assault_on_the_Forbidden_Fortress.jpg

Goldie Hawn and George Segal were teamed up in the western comedy The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox

MV5BOTI0YmVjNDctZDRjOC00ZWFiLTk1YzMtN2U0

The Blue Bird was the first coproduction between America and the USSR. It was a remake of the fantasy that had caused trouble in 1940, and the remake disappeared quickly in 1976, in spite of the starry cast.

Blue_bird_1976_movie_poster.jpg

Ensd of the Game was a psychological thriller with a rare twist of the hats. Martin Ritt, usually a director, was starring in it, and Maximillian Schell, usually an actor, only directed it.

End_of_the_Game_poster.jpg

Mother, Jugs, and Speed was a dark comedy involving an ambulance team.

Mother,_Jugs_and_Speed.jpg

Charlton Heston faced off against James Coburn in the Western The Last Hard Men.

The_last_hard_men_poster.jpg

Breaking Point was a hard-edged thriller from Canada.

MV5BMTExMDU4Mjc2MDNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDQ3

Mel Brooks turned up a delightful tribute to 20s slapstick in Silent Movie, which was bursting with many inspired details.

Silent_movie_movie_poster.jpg

Whereas The Omen was content in making its audiences scream long into the night.

Omen_ver4.jpg

Moving Violation was a Roger Corman-backed entry into the manic world of car chase films

MV5BMTU2MDY1NDA3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEy

An impressive trio of players distinguished the Italian thriller The Sunday Woman

The_Sunday_Woman_(film).jpg

In Alex and the Gypsy, Jack Lemmon played a bail-bonsman who fell for one of his clients, Genevieve Bujold

Alex_&_the_Gypsy_poster.jpg

Fighting mad was an early directorial effort for future Oscar winning director Jonathan Demme.

Fighting_Mad.jpg

Kenny and Company was a quickie for the youth market

Kenny_&_Company_FilmPoster.jpeg

All This and World War II juxtaposed war footage with Beatles songs. It only lasted two weeks in theatres.

All_this_and_world_war_ii_(1976_film)_po

And Gene Wilder had one of his biggest hits with Silver Streak, a suspense comedy with a litereally smashing finale.

Silver-Streak-Poster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some of these I haven't seen. I rather like the BLUE BIRD remake. Liz Taylor is in it, during a time when she wasn't really making many movies. 

I've still never seen SILVER STREAK.

The Goldie Hawn western comedy turns up frequently on Starz/Encore Westerns and is rather dire. 

THE LAST HARD MEN also plays on Starz/Encore Westerns...and is quite good.

The Lemmon-Bujold film looks interesting (haven't seen it).

I love THE OMEN and its first sequel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've seen several of these, but not many left an impression, or at least a favorable one.

1. The Omen (I've never been real crazy about this one, but it has its moments)
  2. Silver Streak
  3. The Last Hard Men
  4. Fighting Mad
  5. Next Stop, Greenwich Village
  6. Mother, Jugs & Speed

I've also seen Silent MovieBreaking PointSky Riders, and End of the Game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings