Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Director Franco Zeffirelli dies at 96 - Italy media

Just now, rayban said:

Yes, a great beauty, but he did come across as "complicated".

Something got in the way of his film career.

Perhaps, himself.

Yes, I think William Hurt was difficult to work with on sets. But certainly one of the better actors of his generation.

• Like 1

This is drifting away from Zeferelli, but that film, which I saw in the theater but I don't think did very well box-office-wise, almost marked a turning point in Hurt's career, not one for the better! I remember meeting my college roommate in the university cafeteria. He'd watched the announcement of the Oscar nominees live on TV that morning. I think I had a class. You see, kids, before the Internet, you couldn't just look at this little box you carried around in your pocket to learn all the news of the world. So, you know, it's six or eight hours later, and I still have no idea who's been nominated. My roommate had scribbled down the nominees in the big categories, and we played a little game while eating where I tried to guess as many as I could. With actor, the first person I said was "William Hurt for The Doctor", and he said "No!" and I was like "Whaaa....?????"

After a pretty extraordinary run in the 80s of Altered StatesThe Big ChillChildren of a Lesser GodKiss of the Spider-WomanBroadcast News and The Accidental Tourist, this marked the end of the run where you kind of expected him to get a Best Actor nomination for every movie he was in, and in fact, it hasn't happened for him since. He got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for 2005's A History of Violence. He certainly hasn't lacked for work since then, but it hasn't been the same. Obviously, he's reached an age where he's had to transition to mostly supporting roles, but his time where every new movie of his felt like a must-see didn't last as long as someone who remembers that era might have expected.

• Like 2
On 6/15/2019 at 7:42 AM, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48648278

Film director and cultural icon Franco Zeffirelli dies aged 96, Italian media reports

The Florence native directed stars including Elizabeth Taylor in the 1967 film Taming of the Shrew and Dame Judi Dench on stage in Romeo and Juliet.

Italian media said Zeffirelli died after a long illness which had grown worse in recent months.

franco-zeffirelli-olivia-hussey-leonard-

Franco-Zeffirellis-Romeo-and-Juliet-1968

HIS SOLE **** AT A BD OSCAR WIN   LOSING TO CAROL REED IN OLIVER INSTEAD, TRYE WIEERS DESERED TO BE OF COURSE ONE OF THE TOP 10 TO 12 ALL-TIME GREATS IN HIS 2001 ABND DIRECTORS GUILD VOTED FOR ANTHONY HARVEY INTHE MAGNIFICENTLY CONSTRUCTED  LION IN WINTER   YOU TCM-ITES DECIDE

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

This is drifting away from Zeferelli, but that film, which I saw in the theater but I don't think did very well box-office-wise, almost marked a turning point in Hurt's career, not one for the better! I remember meeting my college roommate in the university cafeteria. He'd watched the announcement of the Oscar nominees live on TV that morning. I think I had a class. You see, kids, before the Internet, you couldn't just look at this little box you carried around in your pocket to learn all the news of the world. So, you know, it's six or eight hours later, and I still have no idea who's been nominated. My roommate had scribbled down the nominees in the big categories, and we played a little game while eating where I tried to guess as many as I could. With actor, the first person I said was "William Hurt for The Doctor", and he said "No!" and I was like "Whaaa....?????"

After a pretty extraordinary run in the 80s of Altered StatesThe Big ChillChildren of a Lesser GodKiss of the Spider-WomanBroadcast News and The Accidental Tourist, this marked the end of the run where you kind of expected him to get a Best Actor nomination for every movie he was in, and in fact, it hasn't happened for him since. He got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for 2005's A History of Violence. He certainly hasn't lacked for work since then, but it hasn't been the same. Obviously, he's reached an age where he's had to transition to mostly supporting roles, but his time where every new movie of his felt like a must-see didn't last as long as someone who remembers that era might have expected.

I REVIEWED THE DOCTOR IN A LOCAL THEATER AND GAVE UIT A STRONG 2 AND 1/2 STARS

• Like 1
4 hours ago, spence said:

AND LET US NEVER FORGET 1980'S BLUE LAGOON???

Zeferelli directed Endless Love, not Blue Lagoon. I saw this same mistake on another online forum as well. They were both movies from the same era that were mainly about Brooke Shields showing a lot of skin!

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Yes, I was very surprised he didn't get nominated for that film. Was it up for supporting actress? (Elizabeth Perkins). I cant remember. Christine Lahti was also very good as his wife. I guess the subject was too downbeat to click with audiences.

I seem to remember it was released in the summer months? That probably hurt its chances too.

The Doctor was one of four feature films directed by Randa Haines, who mostly worked in television. Her other three were Children of a Lesser God (also with Hurt), Wrestling with Ernest Hemmingway and Dance with Me. For whatever reason, she didn't get the attention one of the few other female directors of the era - Penny Marshall - got. Maybe because she didn't play Laverne.

1991 was the year The Silence of the Lambs swept the top five awards, the first to do so since It Happened One Night, I think (someone will let me know if there's something in between those two I'm forgetting). The other films that got at least four nominations that year were Beauty and the BeastBugsyJFKThe Prince of TidesThelma & LouiseThe Fisher King, Hook and Terminator 2: Judgment DayBarton Fink and Backdraft (shudder) each got three nominations.

• Like 1
Just now, Hibi said:

No big deal. Wish TCM would show The Doctor. Don't think I've ever seen it on tv. (don't get channels like HBO etc.)

i saw it on HBO last year, and just bought a DVD copy (its back in print on DVD again and for less than $10. https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Special-William-Hurt/dp/B07M6RW44Y/ref=tmm_dvd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=). Its a marvelous film, and it would be nice if it had received a nomination for either Hurt or Perkins (who did deserve that nomination) or both. But I know that Touchstone (read as Disney) who made the film usually had a pretty bad track record for getting nominations for their films even when they were worthy (*cough* Joy Luck Club shutout *cough*).

Looking at the two 1991 acting races I just mentioned, the nominees were:

Anthony Hopkins – The Silence of the Lambs as Dr. Hannibal Lecterdouble-dagger

In personal lineups, I would have done the following.....

Actor (Note, I put Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs in supporting)

Jeff Bridges/The Fisher King
William Hurt/The Doctor
Nick Nolte/The Prince of Tides
River Phoenix/Dogfight
Robin Williams/The Fisher King

and
Mary McDonnell/Grand Canyon
Maureen O'Hara/Only the Lonely
Elizabeth Perkins/The Doctor
Amanda Plummer/The Fisher King
Mercedes Ruehl/The Fisher King --- This category was pretty packed this year and there are many other good choices.

1991 was a pretty rich movie year in retrospect, so that might have been an issue as well. That said, there was another good William Hurt performance in the 90s that got away. It was in 1994's Second best. The film was barely released, but he was ideal as a quiet, timid Welsh bachelor postmaster who, after the death of his mother and the impending death of his father looming, decides to adopt a troubled youth. It's a very somber film, not sentimental, but fascinating.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

The Doctor was one of four feature films directed by Randa Haines, who mostly worked in television. Her other three were Children of a Lesser God (also with Hurt), Wrestling with Ernest Hemmingway and Dance with Me. For whatever reason, she didn't get the attention one of the few other female directors of the era - Penny Marshall - got. Maybe because she didn't play Laverne.

1991 was the year The Silence of the Lambs swept the top five awards, the first to do so since It Happened One Night, I think (someone will let me know if there's something in between those two I'm forgetting). The other films that got at least four nominations that year were Beauty and the BeastBugsyJFKThe Prince of TidesThelma & LouiseThe Fisher King, Hook and Terminator 2: Judgment DayBarton Fink and Backdraft (shudder) each got three nominations.

Randa Haines though did beat Penny to the Punch. Randa's Children of a Lesser God was the first film directed by a woman ever to be up for Best Picture at the Oscars. Strangely, she wasn't nominated. In retyrospect, it is the nominee that year that, at least in my eyes, has held up the best, although Room with a View and Hannah and Her Sisters are both choice films, and The Mission had many stirring passages.

• Thanks 1

I'd forgotten Maureen O'Hara was shut out that year too. I didn't see all of the performances that year (particularly in supporting actress) so it wouldn't be fair to comment, but I thought Prince of Tides very overrated. And I never thought much of Warren Beatty as an actor (nor did I see Bugsy). You're right about Touchstone. They didn't have a good track record getting their films nominated.

Thanks for the info about The Doctor DVD. At least it's cheap.

I don't recall Second Best at all.

On 6/19/2019 at 10:59 AM, Hibi said:

Yes, I was very surprised he didn't get nominated for that film. Was it up for supporting actress? (Elizabeth Perkins). I cant remember. Christine Lahti was also very good as his wife. I guess the subject was too downbeat to click with audiences.

I seem to remember it was released in the summer months? That probably hurt its chances too.

And, yes, it was a summer release (July 26). Looked to have been a midsize hit though. 1991 US/Canada revenue chart in 2019 dollars. All 245 freleases or rereleases. Quite a few good films never had a chance. I also see several classic film careers coming to an end this year. Maureen O'Hara in Only the Lonely. Richard Widmark in True Colors. Kim Novak in Liebestraum.

Just now, Hibi said:

I'd forgotten Maureen O'Hara was shut out that year too. I didn't see all of the performances that year (particularly in supporting actress) so it wouldn't be fair to comment, but I thought Prince of Tides very overrated. And I never thought much of Warren Beatty as an actor (nor did I see Bugsy). You're right about Touchstone. They didn't have a good track record getting their films nominated.

Thanks for the info about The Doctor DVD. At least it's cheap.

I really liked Prince of Tides, but Bugsy was pretty bland, aside from Annette Bening's short-fused Virginia Hill and some glorious sets and costumes.