Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1983

Donald Sutherland, John Marley, Jeff Goldblum, and Mare Winningham started 1983 with Threshold, a Canadian sci-fi film

MV5BYzIwMzI2ODgtMzIxNi00ZWQyLWJmNjMtNmY4

Barbara Hershey was pitted against a malevolent spirit in The Entity.

TheEntity.jpg

Kate Nelligan was riviting as a mother of a kidnapped child in Without a Trace, with sterling support from Judd Hirsch and Stockard Channing. The ending could move a stone to tears.

Without_a_Trace.jpg

The King of Comedy has increased in reputation since 1983, and its look at the obsessions of modern day fame cut deeper now then they did then. Robert De Niro was very good, Sandra Bernhard was unforgettable, and Jerry Lewis was never better.

Kingofcomedy.jpg

Fox sponsored a rerelease of the 70s rock film Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

Ziggy_Stardust_Motion_Picture.jpg

As well as a Bill Cosby stand-up show

MV5BNzIwNjUyNDczOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDYy

Reuben Reuben received an Oscar nomination for Tom Conti as a troubled writer. Kelly McGillis made her film debut.

Reuben,_Reuben_-_movieposter.jpg

Betrayal was unusual in the sense that it was a story (an affair and breakup) told in reverse. It was admired by many critics. It was the final production for veteran producer Sam Spiegel.

MV5BMjMzZTIxNGEtNGViMS00ZGEzLTk4MTUtNDhi

Marsha Mason and Jason Robards were irresistible in the sweet, likable Neil Simon original Max Dugan Returns, also with Donald Sutherland and debuting Matthew Broderick.

MV5BOGM3MWVlNTktMjU4Mi00NTJlLTk1NTItMmQx

Bonnie Bedilia was a female race car driver in Heart Like a Wheel, an audience pleaser.

Heart_Like_a_Wheel_(film)_poster.jpg

Dennis Quaid was a country singer who moonlighted as an amateur boxer in Tough Enough, with Pam Grier, Wilford Brimley, and Warren Oates, who died a year before this was released.

MV5BNzRlMWZmYzUtMGVkYy00MGYyLWIyMWUtODFk

The original star Wars trilogy came to a close with 1983's biggest hit, Return of the Jedi.

MV5BMjA3NzE1MDkyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjg3

More raunch in Porky's II: The Next Day. Again, quite profitable, so another one would be incoming in 1985.

PorkysII.jpg

Mr. Mom, a film with a self-explanitory title, established Michael Keaton as a popular screen lead.

Mr_mom_poster.jpg

Michael Douglas fell in with an ominous vigilante group and then has second thoughts about it in The Star Chamber.

The_Star_Chamber.jpg

Phar Lap was a horseracing drama from Australia. It wasn't as cheerful and feelgood as many American ones.

Pharlap-move-poster.jpg

Fire and Ice was animation for adults, a film involving prehistoric fantasy 

MV5BYzcwZTg3NDEtYTgxYi00ZTQ2LWE3NzgtMTk1

Sam Peckinpaugh directed for the last time with The Osterman Weekend, a thriller with Rutgar Hauer, John Hurt, Dennis Hopper, and Burt Lancaster.

The_Osterman_Weekend_movie.jpg

Tom Cruise played a Pennsyvania boy into sports and a provative relationship with Lea Thompson in All the Right Moves.

All_the_Right_Moves_Poster.jpg

Lesley Ann Warren played a college professor drawn into an affair with one of her students, a male stripper, in A Night in Heaven. The Bryan Adams rock song "Heaven" originated here.

MV5BNjNkM2NmZTQtZGFiOS00OThmLWI2MTEtMGJl

The leads of Grease were reunited again, but lightning failed to hit twice with critics or box office.

Twoofakind1983Poster.jpg

Silkwood was brilliant. One of Meryl Streep's finest hours, the film also feauted sublime work from Kurt Russell, Cher, and a character actress named Sudie Bond and had a literate well-handled script that was touching in its urgency.

MV5BMGQ0N2U0YzMtNWIxYi00NWVhLWI3OTYtNTE5

Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft starred in a remake of Lu****'s To Be or Not To Be. Unlike many remakes of classics, this one worked and was a joy to watch, thanks mainly to a witty adaptation and a luminous comic performance from Bancroft.

MV5BY2E2Njc5MzYtM2IwMy00ODBjLThhODktMzlk

• Like 3

An interesting batch for sure.

Of the ones I haven't seen, THE STAR CHAMBER looks most interesting.

Of the ones I have seen, I'd say SILKWOOD is the best. I like MR. MOM, it's very much of its time. 

THE OSTERMAN WEEKEND is a mess, but I think there's a good film in there somewhere. It's poorly edited and needed retakes. I have a feeling they ran out of money.

TWO OF A KIND is dire. Tom Cruise is already typecast as the sexy young stud in ALL THE RIGHT MOVES.

My sister loved PHAR LAP.

The Bill Cosby film was screened at my high school (a few years later, because I was not in high school yet in 1983). The principal was a Cosby fan and thought the students would enjoy it after a series of rigorous exams. We did not.

• Thanks 1

I agree with TB about Silkwood. I spent most of the 1980's working nights, so I missed a lot. I was much more likely to see a midnight show at the local revival house. I caught up on Dietrich while I was missing out on most of these, which I've never regretted. Thank God home video came along when it did, so I could see the ones I really felt a need to.  

• Like 1

I've seen quite a few.

1. The King of Comedy
  2. Return of the Jedi
  3. Silkwood
  4. Reuben, Reuben

I've also seen Mr. MomTo Be or Not To BeThe Osterman WeekendFire & IceThe Star ChamberThe EntityBill Cosby HimselfMax Dugan ReturnsHeart Like a WheelAll the Right MovesTwo of a Kind, and Porky's II.

Two of a Kind was terrible, but I like this song:

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings