Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1985

First up in 1985 was Mischief, a look at teenagers in Small-town Ohio in the 1950s. Unlike 1950s teen films though, this one had an R rating.

MV5BMWVjYjk0YzYtNzY1OC00MDE3LWJlMDAtMzlh

Timothy Hutton took to graffiti art in Turk 182, a comedy also with Robert Urich, Robert Culp, Darren McGavin and Peter Boyle.

Turk_182_poster.jpg

Porky's Revenge killed off the series.

MV5BM2RkM2Q5ZDUtMTQ3YS00MTA2LWIwODgtMDQ0

Almost You was a saga of adultery and its effects.

MV5BZjM3YjBiNDQtOTkwNC00MmRjLWFhNDktY2Mw

Fox (overseas) teamed up with WB (US/Canada) for Ladyhawke, a medieval set fantasy that wasn't a perfect film, but did impress with the aching performances from Michelle Pfeiffer and Rutgar Hauer, a truly palpable romantic feel, and truly gorgeous cinematography in the Italian Dolomites. 

Ladyhawke_ver1.jpg

Moving Violations was the saga of comic complications in a driving school. Jennifer Tilly was one of the leads. Don Cheadle made his first film appearance.

Moving_violations_movie_poster.jpg

Secret Places was a hit in England but barely released here. Jenny Agutter was one of the costars in this tale.

MV5BNjhkMmY1ZGItYTA3NC00ZjZmLTkyZDctZmVi

A comeback was in store with Prizzi's Honor. John Huston (with his penultimate film) secured a Best Picture nominated film for the first time since 1952. The film itself was a glossy dark comedy with many deliciously oddball moments, and a wonderful cast, including a knockout turn from Anjelica Huston, who won an Oscar for her father's film.

MV5BZmVmOGIzNDUtODYwZi00NWI2LTlhOGQtNmU1

The comeback train kept coming. Don Ameche returned back home to Fox for the first time in 40 years and promptly won an Oscar for Cocoon, a big hit sci-fi film that was both comic and humane, and provided opportunities for many movie veterans to shine.

MV5BYzFiMWRiZTItMjViNy00ZjUzLTg1MTMtNTU4

The Man with One Red Shoe, starring Tom Hanks, Lori Singer, and Dabney Coleman, was an American version of a French hit comedy.

Man_with_one_red_shoe_poster.jpg

Key Exchange was an urban rom-com

Key_Exchange_poster.jpg

Biologic weapons were everyhere in Warning Sign, with Sam Waterston, Kathleen Quinlan, and Yaphet Kotto.

Warning_sign_poster.jpg

Joshua Then and Now was a highly regarded Canadian film with James Woods, Michael Sarrazin, and Alan Arkin

Joshua_then_and_now-film-halfsheet.jpg

Fox teamed up with EMI and RKO for Plenty, a fascinating, grim tale of a troubled woman who felt her best days were behind her. Meryl Streep, Charles Dance, John Gielgud, Sting, Tracy Ullman, and Sam Neill starred.

MV5BM2QyNGNjMTgtNDVlZS00M2E5LTkwYmQtOWE2

Gothic horror was in back in fashion in The Doctors and the Devils. The doctor was Timothy Dalton. The devils, grave-robbers, were Jonathan Pryce and Stephen Rea. Twiggy, Phyllis Logan, Beryl Reid, Philip Jackson, Julian Sands, and Patrick Stuart completed the fine British cast.

MV5BNjdkZGVlM2MtMmMxMi00YzBmLTlhMDUtOTAx

Violent action was in store with Commando starring the one and only Arnold.

MV5BMTc1MTgyMDYzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjQ3

Steve Guttenberg, Alan Arkin, and Julie Hagerty were looking into Bad Medicine.

Bad_medicine.jpg

The jewel of the Nile was the successful sequel to Romancing the Stone.

The_Jewel_of_the_Nile_(1985)_film_poster

Enemy Mine was a financial headache, but like many sci-fi films, it developed a cult following over the years

Enemy_mine.jpg

And Brazil (handled by Fox overseas; Universal in the US) was a dark comic take through George Orwell territory, and was definitely an exhilarating, one of a kind film.

MV5BOTJjZDNiZDctOGYyZC00OTQ3LThhYjUtMDg5

• Like 4

Lots of Canadian productions this decade. I suppose it was less expensive to film in Toronto or Vancouver.

LADYHAWKE is my favorite from this year. It's one of those pictures I associate with my teen years. 

I have always liked PRIZZI'S HONOR. It is one of Huston's better films.

COCOON is a classic. Ameche steals it. The rest of the cast does a good job too.

THE JEWEL OF THE NILE epitomizes everything I despise about quick sequels. Not very original, mostly a rehash of the earlier film...designed to bring in more money at the box office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kathleen Turner was one of Jack Nicholson's all-time best co-stars in Prizzi's Honor. The fact that she could also pull off something like The Jewel of the Nile without embarrassing herself is a testament to her range as an actress and as a personality.

• Like 2

My top choices:

1. Brazil (I don't want to hear it, Swithin!)
  2. Enemy Mine
  3. Prizzi's Honor
  4. Commando (so bad, yet so good)
  5. Ladyhawke (really awful soundtrack, though)
  6. Cocoon

I've also seen MischiefTurk 182!Porky's RevengeMoving ViolationsThe Man with One Red ShoeWarning SignPlentyBad Medicine, and The Jewel of the Nile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings