Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1993

Things were extremely bad this year, surprisingly so, given all the quality films at Columbia Tristar, WB, and Universal that were released in 1993.

The year opened with the American remake of The Vanishing with Jeff Bridges as a crafty killer, Keifer Sutherland as a man looking to find out what happened to his presumedly dead girlfriend, and Sandra Bullock as that ill-fated victim.

Thevanishing1993poster.jpg

Best of the Best 2 had Eric Roberts and Martial arts.

Bestofthebest2.jpg

Marlee Matlin was a woman in danger in Hear no Evil, probably some variation on Wait Until Dark.

Hear_no_evil_poster.jpg

Jack the Bear starred Danny De Vito as a widowed dad hitting the bottle too hard who has to save his children from gary Sinese, the Nazi neighbor. Robert Steinmuller Jr and Mico Hughes were the sons, while Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and Reese Witherspoon had small parts.

Jack_the_bear_poster.jpg

The Sandlot was a baseball film for children, and really quite charming.

Sandlot_poster.jpg

Sean Connery and Wesley Snipes investigated an odious case in Japan in Rising Sun.

Rising_sun_movie_poster_1993.jpg

Hot Shots Part Deux was a follow-up to the hit 1991 spoof.

Hot_Shots_part_deux.jpg

Once Upon a Forest was another animated film that had an ecological bent.

OUAF_poster.jpg

More kids and baseball in Rookie of the Year.

Rookie_of_the_year.jpg

Robin Hood: Men in Tights was Mel Brooks' last trip to Fox, with the 1991 Kevin Costner film as his main satirical target.

RobinHoodMeninTights_Poster.jpg

More martial arts in Only the Strong.

Only_the_Strong.jpg

Macaulay Culkin entered Patty McCormick territory in The Good Son.

The_Good_Son_(movie_poster).jpg

Freaked involved just that: a freak show.

FreakedVHS.jpg

The Beverly Hillbillies tried to take the sitcom to the big screen. it didn't pan out.

Beverly_hillbillies.jpg

At least Mrs. Doubtfire hit the spot. The massive hit gave Robin Williams a very good opportunity to show both his comic and dramatic abilities.

MV5BMjExMDUzODE1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTU5

And back to dreariness with Ghost in the Machine a dark sci-fi with Karen Allen.

Ghostinthemachine_poster.jpg

• Like 3

Not a great year for the studio.

MRS. DOUBTFIRE is definitely the best of the bunch. Robin Williams gets all the credit. But Sally Field did well in this film, a rare comedy for her. And I thought Pierce Brosnan was quite charming as Field's new upper class beau. Plus we've got Harvey Fierstein in there.

THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES had its moments. I thought it was kind of clever that Buddy Ebsen turned up in a cameo, not as Jed Clampett (since that part was being played by Jim Varney) but as his other TV alter ego, Barnaby Jones!

I agree THE SANDLOT was charming. JACK THE BEAR tried to be charming, but it was really quite dreadful in spots.

A very weak year. My top pick:

1. Freaked (most will probably hate this, but it's a personal guilty pleasure)

I've also seen The VanishingBest of the Best 2Hear No EvilRising SunHots Shots! Part DeuxRobin Hood: Men in TightsOnly the StrongThe Good SonMrs. Doubtfire, and Ghost in the Machine.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings