• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sineast

"Yes we can can!" said Little Nicola.

She was pretty riduculous. Like that old Seinfeld/Raymond line, When you

wake up,she's there, when you look out the window, she's there, when you

go to the bathroom, she's there. Talk about persistent.

That reminds me of a subhead I remember from a Brtish tabloid along the line

of 'When Yoko walked in, the other three Beatles said O No.' Well, it's all water

under the bridge now.

Richard definitely never achieved the large scale fame that he deserved,

but maybe it's better that way. I've seen a few clips of him being interviewed

and he is a witty chap. I do get a charge out of his black beret and tee shirt

combo. Looks like he can't decide if he's a Che clone or some sort of modern

black shirt fascist. I'm sure it's neither.

A few of us mentioned Bonzo Dog Band as being truly funny.I am just a casual fan

who missed them on the first go around, but have caught up a bit. Some of their

stuff is truly hilarious.

Loudon Wainwright III singing Hard Day on the Planet.

While posting the Richard Thompson song, I noticed a duet he did

with Loudon Wainwright III, another casuality of the there are just so

many hours in the day syndrome. I think Miss W. posted one of his

songs last year, hope it wasn't this one, not that it isn't worth another

listen.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:

> }{quote}Did somebody mention The Bonzo Dog Band a while back? Whoever suggested that these guys were front-running candidates ( I mean, candidatates) for the funniest band of all time had the right idea. Funny they were, and incidentally, good musicians. One of them, Neil Innes, had a lot to do with the production of that ( "in my opinion") hilarious and affectionate spoof of the Beatles, "The Rutles."

>

> Anyway, here be The Bonzo Dog Band with Urban Spaceman. There are several versions out there in youtube land, so I picked two, one an original "video", the other a live version. They're both good.

> ( and funny.)

>

>

>

>

>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbLDI5lNdRQ

>

Good one! Thanks.

I'm sure you know that "I'm the Urban Spaceman" was produced by Paul McCartney, under an alias.

Otis, it was Loudain Wainwright's son whose music I posted last year. Rufus Wainwright. I'm a big fan, but I have a feeling he wouldn't go down well on this thread. (There's a pun there, but I won't elaborate.) Rufus's song was posted last July, when I was doing that "Canadian" thing. He's half Canadian and lives in Canada half the time.

Right, musicalnovelty (baby) - actually, the live video of the Bonzos performing that song has a little flyer or whatever they're called, that pops up halfway through the performance and informs us that someone with a very silly name but it's aka Paul McCartney produced Urban Spaceman. They look like they're having fun on that clip.

For Christmas I received the new CD by The Black Keys. I don't know if any of you have heard of them or are familiar with them, but damn, these guys rock ! Here's the dynamite first track from that album, which is entitled El Camino. This song is called Lonely Boy - will definitley not be confused with the Paul Anka/Donny Osmond number.

I'm not sure if it's an "official" video from the Black Keys themselves, but in any case, I find this video a little distracting, because it's so much fun to watch this gentleman dancing. Do not be fooled by his lip-synching, it is not he who is singing. He's a pretty good dancer, but in a way I wish they'd just posted the album cover, because this tune does not need any visuals - it rocks big time. Turn it up.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jan 6, 2012 9:33 AM

I think it used to be true, but everything's changed so much since that rule ( by the CRTC) was initiated as policy ("Canadian content", circa 1970s), I don't think is is anymore.

My bad memory. A friend lent me a Loudon Wainwright III CD and I liked it,

but I never went much further. I wonder if there will ever be a Loudon Wain-

wright IV? Can that skip generations or does it have to be in a direct line?

I haven't heard of The Black Keys, but it's a good basic rock and roll song.

Funny how these songs sound familiar but still sound new. I've made up my

CD list, but haven't got to Amazon it in yet. Thank goodness there is a place

where you can get about any CD you want, and with free shipping. Yippy.

I can't help it. Everytime I see the name Ron Sexsmith I have to laugh. Didn't

the British used to have a quota for British films to be exhibited? They called

some of these quota quickies because they were just ground out and the film

producers knew they had to be exhibited, however cheap and dismal they were.

I have found myself listening to Sirius "Alt Nation" while on the bike (much to my own surprise), and the Black Keys are one of their mainstays.

Yes, France is famous for its almost fanatical drive to preserve intact its language and culture - an uphill task, I'm sure.

Let's ease into the week with some mellow Marvin Gaye.So what if it's Monday? It's never too early for a little Sexual Healing :

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:

> }{quote}I think it used to be true, but everything's changed so much since that rule ( by the CRTC) was initiated as policy ("Canadian content", circa 1970s), I don't think is is anymore.

Here's a favorite Canadian group & song of mine...remember this one?

From summer 1967.

Here's some info about them:

http://mocm.ca/Music/Title.aspx?TitleId=288721

musicalnovelty, thanks for that quirky little ultra 1967-type tune. I was nine in 1967, and not paying much attention to pop music, Canadian or otherwise. I mean, I did hear lots of stuff from then on the radio my brother always seemed to have on - "CHUM 1050 Toronto", I remember that well. So I probably heard that cute little ditty but didn't really take it in. Sounds vaguely familiar. "Cornflakes and Ice Cream" - what a classically 1967 song title. (By the way, musicalnovelty, do you ever check your "private messages"? I guess it isn't so "private" any more, since I'm mentioning it here, but I did send you one or two about your taste in music. Did you get them? )

I likely wouldn't have bought it anyway, but the cover of The Who Sell Out

with Roger Daltrey in a baked bean bath was a definitive turn off. Baked

beans, yuck. It would have been better to have a cover referencing the song

Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand. Oh, those shaky hands. :)

I guess Cornflakes and Ice Cream never made it across the border. Reminds

me of the old joke about The Who's Tommy. Which one is the group and which

one is the song title?

I agree, Otis, that "Who Sell Out" cover is extremely off-putting. It's almost like The Who were on purpose seeking to look repellant, since all four of them have particularly unflattering photos, with unpleasant products, on that cover. Maybe that partly explains why of all the Who albums from their "classic" period, that one seems the least popular.

It's too bad, because the music on that album is great - and let's not forget it includes one of their best and purest rock songs, I Can See for Miles.

I actually did post Mary Anne with the Shakey Hands a few months ago. What they've done for a man, those shakey hands .For years, I truly had no idea what they were talking about. I thought poor Mary Anne had some kind of palsy syndrome.

I was so incredibly piped into current releases around the summer of '67 that they were almost coming out of my ears. Having said that, I'm certain that I've never heard of either the song or the group...... "Incense and Peppermints" by the Strawberry Alarm Clock, anyone?

I'm a big Who fan. The Who Sell Out is the first album I bought, when it came out. I loved the cover. Great satire.

What's interesting to know about "The Who Sell Out", Valentine, is that The Who actually did "sell out", at least in the sense that they made one or two Coke commercials and I think an ad for some other company too ( actually, I have a feeling it was an anti-smoking ad ! Go figure - long before there even were anti-smoking ads...)

Very recently ( I think November) the legendary "Smile" album, reputedly Brian Wilson's masterwork, finally was released. Big story around the history of this, which I suspect most people are familiar with - Wilson spending hours and days and weeks on perfecting all the auditory details of "Smile", which was to surpass even Pet Sounds in its melodic beauty, musical innovation, and complexity. Out comes "Sergeant Pepper". Brian gives it one listen and freaks out, reportedly rushing into his studio and destroying many of the "Smile" tapes, claiming he'll never be able to measure up to the Beatles and "Pepper".

Anyway, it's a long sad story, some of which is probably apocryphal. The unreleased "Smile" of course became the stuff of rock music legend, its reputation growing bigger and more spectacular with every passing year it continued to be "lost".

Well, it's finally out. And like all legends, the reality can not measure up to the myth.

However, it's still a pretty darned good little album ( well, not "little" exactly.)

Here's one of the songs from "Smile" that was actually available long before November 2011. Wilson must have recorded about a thousand variations on this: Heroes and Villains. Here's one of them, with a very charming video animation accompanying it:

Most of those groups with the strange/funny names--Strawberry Alarm Clock,

Chocolate Watchband, Electric Prunes--never seemed to have much long term

success, though they inspired lots of ridiculous band names on 1960s sitcoms.

I didn't buy a Who album until Who's Next. I'd see The Who Sells Out in record

stores, but never bought it. I know it has some good songs on it, because some

of them have turned up on Who compilation albums.