Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sineast

"Yes we can can!" said Little Nicola.

I'd guess that Meryl does a good job of channeling Maggie, if nothing else.

Two hours of the Iron Baglady is two hours too much for me.

The royals do help with the tourism trade, so they're useful for something.

Well the tourist trade might increase if the Brits had a Hunting The Royals event. And yes, I didn't mean to say hunting with the royals!

I could watch Meryl channelling anyone since she is so great at it. I think it is great that she has found so many great roles in her later years. More so than most of the actresses of the studio era.

I tried to post "Let Me Go", by Heaven 17 (great classic alternative song) but failed. If someone else wants to try........

Edited by: finance on Feb 9, 2012 9:46 AM

No to go into too much detail here- but after all, this is a website about movies - my main criticism of *The Iron Lady* was it spent far too much time on poor old semi-Alzheimer's- sticken Margaret, and not nearly enough time on hard-a** prime minister of Britain in the 1980s Margaret.

Why is this woman famous? Why would anyone want to see a movie about her? Because she's a confused old lady, or because she was a major world leader at one time? If she had not been prime minister, nobody would be interested in her story.

If someone wants to make a movie about an old lady who has trouble buying milk at the corner store and keeps thinking she is having conversations with her deceased husband, that's fine. Perhaps there is potential to make that a truly interesting film.

But don't make the protagonist of such a film a former British prime minister. If audiences are interested in Margaret Thatcher at all, it is because she was leader of a country, a one-time very influential country, during a time of flux. Thatcher is associated with breaking the unions in Britain, including the highly divisive miners' strike, with the Falkland Islands "war", with being a major player during a particularly tense period of the Cold War - just to name a few.

It's because of who and what she was and did as Prime Minister of Britain that she is famous, and for that people might want to see a "bio-pic" about her. To make a film supposedly about this person, and then to spend at least half the running time on her dotage, is misleading and disappointing.

(Not that I was a fan of hers', just want to make that clear.) And yes, Meryl Streep's performance was note- perfect, the best thing about *The Iron Lady.*

It reminds me of the film *Sid and Nancy*. Why was Sid Vicious famous? Because he was a hopeless heroin addict, as was his girlfriend, or because he was one of the Sex Pistols? I'm pretty sure it was the latter, but the film concentrates on the former. There are already lots of movies about the sorry lot of heroin addicts. I'm more interested in the Sex Pistols, whether Sid was up to playing with them less than half the time or not.

If someone's going to make a "bio-pic" about a famous person, please let them focus on the thing about them that made them famous, and not have that part be just background filler.

Now what would be really interesting would be a film about a heroin-addicted, punk-music playing, hallucinating British politician.

Hunting the royals. Sounds like one of those bizarre The Avengers episodes.

Give 'em a ten minute head start and then it's every prince or princess for

themselves.

Yes, she's done quite well in what is often a tricky part of an actress's career,

getting good leading roles beyond her "prime."

I haven't seen The Iron Lady, but I've heard that it also has scenes of her

dotage. I suppose they wanted to cover her life after she was Prime Minister,

which of course is the most famous part of it. I guess that was their call.

Now if I was making the film, I would have included a fantasy sequence where

she was blown up by the IRA, but that's just me. X-(

I have seen the recent Sherlock Holmes film where we meet Dr. Moriarity in

depth. I've always wondered whether he was a real professor or if that was

just a nickname, but in this version he is a real professor of mathematics, and

of course an evil genius to boot.

I can sort of understand the emphasis in Sid and Nancy on his heroin addiction,

since that was a big influence in his last years. I believe one of the Sex Pistols

said that Vicious got that name because he was just the opposite, couldn't punch

his way out of a crisps bag, or something to that effect. I wonder if Johnny Rotten

got his name because he was really such a sweet guy.

Nancy Spungen was a Jewish girl from Philadelphia. I don't think that Sid Vicious was the type of catch that many Jewish parents have in mind for their daughters.

I once saw the Police live. Also, in the same show, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts. Ironically, I'm a bigger fan of the Police now than when I saw them way back then. Although I don't have any CDs or even records by them.

There is a new book out ( well, came out last fall, I think) called Mountains Come Out of the Sky. You'll never guess what it's about: damn, you did ! Progressive rock. A history of progressive rock. I'm not reading it myself, but I gave the book to someone who is. I don't know if I like progressive rock enough to read a book about it.

Anyway, of course that line is taken from Yes's song, Roundabout, from their uber prog rock opus, "Fragile". I'm told that, despite the apparent deadly seriousness with which most progressive rock bands, including Yes, are associated, the guys in Yes did not take themselves too seriously, and reportedly would hit the local pub after a hard day's recording and have a good laugh over a few beers about the whole earnest prog rock thing.

Here's Roundabout, all 8 or 9 minutes of it. But it actually is a pretty good song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOTg-7pV64

I think I have all the Police's original studio albums, though not all the

various compilations that have come out since. They really weren't around

all that long.

I had to think for a few seconds to remember that line. I still like many of

the prog rockers, though I don't listen to them too much any more. Fragile

was one of the best Yes albums, before they went off the deep end. I did

see ELP in concert once and they put on quite a show, especially Keith

rocking around on his keyboards. My schedule is all screwed up today, so I

have to get out of here early, to search for the infinite mandela at the heart of

the universal OMMMM. Well, something like that. ?:|

I remember Scary Monsters; I used to be a big David Bowie fan ( still am, I guess, I just don't follow his new stuff.) But maybe you should have saved it for Hallowe'en. ]:)

Jean Shepherd, real old-school country and western. I like the big hair dos almost as much as her singing.

Whitney Houston ( sad story, that) is not the only significant musician who has died recently. But her death was much more untimely than Johnny Otis' , who, I believe, was over 90. This guy's been called "the godfather of rhythm and blues", yet many people have never heard of him. Here's an amusing video of him and some co-horts performing his trademark song, "Willie and the Hand Jive" :

Edited by: misswonderly on Feb 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Posts collide ! We both must have thought of the Hallowe'en thing at the same time.

I was a big fan of Bowie in the early 1970s and saw him in concert a few

times when he was still doing the "oral sex" bit with Mick Ronson's guitar.

Now that's perfectly safe sex, excluding cuts to the mouth.

Just for the record, it's Jean Shepard. I only mention that because there was

a Jean Shepherd (male) who was a NYC radio personality back in the day.

He also supplied the basis for the A Christmas Story movie.

I'm usually not too good at this, but I suspect at least some of those rather

luxurious hairdos are wigs.

I still say you show a distinct preference for post-punk bands with sexy girl singers. (nttawwt)

Valentine's Day. The pressure is on. There are a million choices, so many love songs, happy, sad, confused. Ok, I'm going with the Beatles. Even with limiting it to them, there are many to choose from.

All right, I'm going to go with Words of Love. Come to think of it, the song is so deleriously pretty, the harmony so sweet, George's guitar playing so perfect, I'm going to post it twice.

First the almost equally lovely original Buddy Holly version ( albeit the George guitar work is missing), followed by the even better Beatles cover. It's not often that a cover is better than the original, and it's pretty close, but the Beatles have the ayes on this one.

Of course the fact that many of these bands have sexy female singers

is purely coincidental. My sole interest is in the music. ;)

It is pretty hard to choose between the two. The Beatles usually did pretty

well on covers, but Buddy did write the song. Guess I'll call it a tie.

I love all of these great covers The Beatles did. Funny but I'm playing music with a group that plays mostly 50s tunes so we play many of these songs. BUT, I know all of these songs (e.g. Postman, Anna, Really Got a Hold of Me, Baby Its You, etc....), as Beatles songs. (I might of heard the original group but not 14 as often as I have hear the boys do them). The Beatles would do a few things differently (both the chords used, and the singing of harmony).

So the people I'm playing with will say 'hey, that sounds cool, but it isn't how the song was done'. Well to ME it was how the song was done!

You('ve) Really Got a Hold on Me is another of my favorite Beatles'

covers, and one of their few early songs that hits the three minute

mark, if just barely. I don't think it takes anything away from the

original artist if the cover is good, as long as they are remembered

as the ones who first had a hit with the song.

Might as well go with another helping of the Lads from Liverpool.

Sorry girls, he's still married. :(

No room for Mr. Moonlight. Darn.