Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sineast

"Yes we can can!" said Little Nicola.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}We don't grow figs here, but it is a little-known fact that we wear fig leafs, at least in the summer. And very little else. So much for Canadians' reputation for modesty.

Admit it. It's only the wealthy Canadians who can afford imported fig leaves. The rest of you wear maple leaves. :D

Another little-known fact is that on occasion, Canadian women wear maple keys pasted on over a - uh - key area of their chests. ...Perhaps we had better leaf this subject alone.

Canada, or at least, the fine whisky known as Canadian Club, is mentioned, briefly, in the following song. Ah, this music always makes me feel sentimental. Or maybe it's just all that whisky.

Roxy Music's Mother of Pearl:

Can't Canadians make due with tube socks and Post-It notes like the

rest of the world when it comes to covering up the naughty bits?

Don't forget the Canada Dry beverage company. I think there was a country

song way back when with a pun about drinking Canada dry.

I'm glad when they get over the little jam session at the beginning and get

into good old Roxy Music territory. What a great band. Too bad they never

had much success in the U.S.

Yup, gotta love "Love is the Drug". Now that's cool. I should add Bryan Ferry to the "cool" thread.

The guys at Chess Records were cool too. Anyone see the movie about Chess? Only they changed the name to "Cadillac Records". Not a "great" movie by any stretch, but fun, especially if you're interested in that era, and like that kind of music.

Here's Little Walter, with My Babe :

I guess that could be so, though the "official" new wave stuff seems to have

come along a little bit later, so Roxy might be a precursor. If I remember

correctly, in The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock and Roll they are

in the Art Rock chapter. Whatever. I think Love is the Drug was their most

successful US single. After all this time, I think their music holds up pretty

well.

Pavement, Here. I had heard of Pavment, a 1990s indie group, but never

got around to getting any of their CDs. so I bought a CD over the holidays.

Sounds more or less like your typical 1990s indie rock band, and that's a

good thing. B-)

I think that Bowie could be called the "father" of New Wave. Or Lou Reed and the Underground. "Rock and Roll", from "Loaded", definitely has a New Wave feel.......Incidentally, "Love is the Drug" is played on Sirius "First Wave".

Edited by: finance on Feb 21, 2012 3:50 PM

When the subject of how a musical subgenre originated, there are

usually multiple persons or groups mentioned. Each likely had some

influence, and then something gells and it's given a name.

I've heard of Romeo Void, but never had the time to go any further.

Pretty good stuff.

This could perhaps be considered latter-day "New Wave" ( "Old Wave" ? No, that doesn't work.)

I'm not sure, I think this came out around 1997. Post-New-Wave, yes, that's better. Labels,schmabels.

Smash Mouth, Walkin' On the Sun:

Maybe on Planet Claire that combo makes sense, but it wouldn't make my

mouth water. I have a love-hate relationship. I love chocolate and I pretty much

hate fish. I hope no one comes up with the idea of a chocolate dessert in the

shape of a fish. And you never have to worry about bones with chocolate, but

to each their own.

When I think of New Wave, American branch, one of the first groups that

comes to mind is The Cars. Very early Cars playing Good Times Roll.

Funny, I love the Pretenders, and they are undoubtedly a quintessential new wave band, but Message of Love, imho, is not their best, not by a long shot. (But we've been over this before; I consider Brass in Pocket to be a great song, by new wave or any other standard. But as I recall, you kind of dissed it.)

If we're talking New Wave, I'd say the ultimate New Wave band is The Talking Heads. Well, there was "poppy" new wave, and "serious" new wave. Although breaking a genre of music into sub-genres like this can get silly, not to say pretentious. But the Talking Heads did come across as more "serious" than some of the other new wave groups to emerge at that time. How about "Art New Wave" ?, now that's getting really pretentious.

Call 'em arty, call 'em pretentious ( although I wouldn't), call 'em a cab, but these guys were good. Here's Cities :

( this was the best copy in terms of the original version off the album Fear of Music. Unfortunately, though, it's just the album cover to stare at for 3 or 4 minutes. Just imagine David Byrne in one of those giant suits. I love all the blend of instruments in this, especially the Greek chorus like guitar.)

I like Message of Love, but it's not really one of my favorite Pretenders' songs.

Maybe Brass in Pocket gets a little bit of a downgrade because it's so well

known, but I still like it. Mystery Achievement is another good one that finance

might have mentioned before. The Kinks' covers are good and there are a lot of fine

tunes on the later albums.

The Talking Heads also get lumped in with the other New York bands like Television

and Blondie. They had sort of a dual status: New York and New Wave. Yeah they

were a bit pretentious, but not insufferably so. Hey, you send a kid to college and

that happens. I think Fear of Music was the first Talking Heads album I bought. The

LP had a raised surface to match the design, but it's not something that you'd want

to stare at for four minutes, unless you were on something.

By all means. I love "Psycho Killer", "Life During Wartime", the entire "Remain in Light" LP, etc., etc. An overwhelming % of New Wave bands were British, and as opposed to straight rock, had many female lead singers and all-female bands such as the Go-Gos, Bangles, Bananarama, etc.