Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why not more Richard Widmark onTCM?

From time to time we will pick an actor/actress and using their filmography on imdb watch all (or most of all) of their movies in chronological order.  We decided to Richard Widmark next.  I own hundreds of classic movies, have recorded hundreds more over the years and use TCM to catch different ones from time to time.  I was surprised to find I only own 11 Widmark movies.  In looking at the first 13 of his movies starting with 1947 Kiss of Death I was disappointed to find how few of them are available to stream, rent or watch on TCM.  Checking their times shown and frequency on TCM was disappointing too.  Looks like I will have to buy a lot of dvds to see his movies and wondered why they don't show more on TCM?

Also, in looking at his upcoming movies on TCM I can only see two:

No Way Out, The Long Ships (don't have this one!)

I can select More with the down arrow but it doesn't load any others and appears to have a webpage issue.  Hopefully there are more and ones I don't have.

Any alternatives to buying (rental or streaming or other, that I might have overlooked?)

Here are the ones I checked so far:

1947 Kiss of Death - No streaming or rental, TCM shown 4x, last one 01-2016

1948 Street with No Name - No streaming or rental, TCM 1x, last one 6-2017

1948 Road House - No streaming or rental, TCM 1x 11-2009)

1949 Down to the Sea in Ships - No streaming or rental, 1x 3-2013)

1949 Slattery's Hurricane - No streaming or rental, TCM never

1950 Night and the City - No streaming or rental, 7x (4-2019, 11-2017)

1951 Panic in the Streets - (I recorded sometime, so I didn't check availability)

1950 No Way Out - (I recorded sometime, so I didn't check availability)

1951 Halls of Montezema - No streaming or rental, TCM never

1952 Red Skies of Montana - No streaming or rental, TCM never

1952 Don't Bother to Knock - No streaming or rental, TCM 2x (9-2011, 11-2011)

• Thanks 1

TCM doesn't lease 20th Century Fox films as often as those from the old Ted Turner library studios;  MGM, Warner and RKO.

Fox has it own's network so either they hold-back certain films to competitors like TCM or the lease cost is 'too much'.   

While TCM will lease Fox films to show they typically don't stream them.   

For much of his early career, Widmark was under contract to 20th Century Fox, and while TCM has been showing more films from that studio in recent years, they're still only going to show so many, because they have to pay (or pay more) for them. No Way Out is going to air when Sidney Poitier is Star of the Month in September, and Panic in the Streets aired during the Elia Kazan tribute. You didn't mention O. Henry's Full House or Pickup on South Street, both of which are Fox films that have aired on TCM before. But you're more likely to see him on TCM in UA, MGM or WB films like Cheyenne AutumnThe AlamoJudgment at Nuremburg and How the West Was Won.

• Thanks 1

One Widmark film that TCM shows regularly is also one of his top 3 or 4:  Time Limit (1957), with Richard Basehart, June Lockhart and Martin Balsam.  Widmark plays an Army lawyer who defends a Korean War veteran (Basehart) in a court-martial proceeding, in which Basehart just wants to plead guilty and leave it at that.  Widmark knows better.  It's one of his best roles.

I've always savored the irony that the arch-psycho stereotype of Widmark was so completely at odds with what he was in real life:  A fighter for liberal causes and married to the same woman until her death did them part in 1997.  Turns out that Tommy Udo was in fact the perfect mensch.

P.S. This was also the only film that Karl Malden ever directed.  On the basis of this movie, he should have done more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, wunderlong88 said:

From time to time we will pick an actor/actress and using their filmography on imdb watch all (or most of all) of their movies in chronological order.  We decided to Richard Widmark next. 

Any alternatives to buying (rental or streaming or other, that I might have overlooked?)

The library can be a great resource for classic film.  I don't know what type of selection your library has, but if you're part of a pretty large network, you can have films transferred to your local library.  My "home" library is small, but it is part of a larger network that covers pretty much the entire West side of the Portland Metro Area.  I can have films transferred to my library from other branches.  This system has worked well for me.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, wunderlong88 said:

Hadn't thought of the library.  I have a very small not but a large network.  Might be a good source!

Thanks for all the responses.  Very helpful.

If your library participates in Kanopy, it has streaming of a ton of classic films.  Not sure about Widmark.  You log in with your library card number and I believe you are allowed 10-15 movies per month (depending on your library).  I have two library cards, one of my libraries allows 15 movies the other only allows 10. 

There's also the Inter-Library Loan program where libraries out of network can loan items to one another.  I haven't done an inter-library loan before though, so I'm not exactly sure what it all entails.

Widmark was a Fox contract player for several years in his career, plus now Disney owns Fox, so I don't expect the Fox films to be spread around on TCM as generously as they have been in the past five years or so.  Disney bought Fox only because their own library didn't have enough titles to support a streaming service.  So to see Zanuck's Fox in the future, you will probably have to pay Disney through the nose and and sift through their modern "woke" titles IF they even decide to put the classic stuff on their streaming service in the first place.

58 minutes ago, AndyM108 said:

One Widmark film that TCM shows regularly is also one of his top 3 or 4:  Time Limit (1957), with Richard Basehart, June Lockhart and Martin Balsam. 

And another, THE COBWEB (which maybe plays more than any of his others?) is EASILY one of the WORST.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM doesn't lease 20th Century Fox films as often as those from the old Ted Turner library studios;  MGM, Warner and RKO.

Fox has it own's network so either they hold-back certain films to competitors like TCM or the lease cost is 'too much'.   

While TCM will lease Fox films to show they typically don't stream them.   

Perhaps the movie biz needs to regulate itself. Who owns what is only going to become more fragmented, especially with streaming services.

4 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Perhaps the movie biz needs to regulate itself. Who owns what is only going to become more fragmented, especially with streaming services.

I'm not following you;  the movie biz is regulating themselves;  I.e  studios decide who they lease their films to, what films they will lease,  and the associated cost of the lease.

I sure don't want the government to get involved in that.   E.g. force a studio to lease films at a 'reasonable' price to competing networks \ streaming companies.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

E.g. force a studio to lease films at a 'reasonable' price to competing networks \ streaming companies

Actually ... Yes. We use to have 'price gouging' in the flat panel business, inflating the cost of TV sets and computer screens. The studios are owned by corporations who could really care less about these movies. Guess you can tell I have Robin Hood values. 😊

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

And another, THE COBWEB (which maybe plays more than any of his others?) is EASILY one of the WORST.

LOL! True. Poor Lillian Gish and her drapes.......

why, he was a fine at tines, dependable and when need creepy villain  i.e. tommy udu in kiss of death from 47-in his ultra long career his one and only oscar bid though but of course losing out to the marvelous edmund gwenn ub miracle on 34th street though obviously a leading role instead

how asinine

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

are there any outtakes of widmark as Tommy Udo?

:D

we need more of widmark as smilin' Tommy.

Image result for tommy udo

is in my ever growing alternate oscar files for deserving this Oscar for 1947 hoervrt my fellow alternate Oscar watchers abd voters say  Robert ryan in the superb rko   crossfire  rji radio truly deserved to win s, actor istead  

3 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

Actually ... Yes. We use to have 'price gouging' in the flat panel business, inflating the cost of TV sets and computer screens. The studios are owned by corporations who could really care less about these movies. Guess you can tell I have Robin Hood values. 😊

It has been discussed at this forum that movies could be treated like historical buildings;   they are still privately held,  but there are restrictions.   The theory being that once a historical building becomes a "creative work of art" the general public has rights over it.    That theory could apply to movies as well.

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It has been discussed at this forum that movies could be treated like historical buildings;   they are still privately held,  but there are restrictions.   The theory being that once a historical building becomes a "creative work of art" the general public has rights over it.    That theory could apply to movies as well.

national film registry?

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL! True. Poor Lillian Gish and her drapes.......

I loved that movie when I was a little girl. Especially the ending where the always sensitive and slightly disturbed John Kerr ends up in the controversial drapes and makes a weak joke about it. Only Vincente Minnelli could handle something that slight and a little maudlin to make it into a successful and at timea riveting entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

national film registry?

It is my understanding the NFR doesn't require films that are NOT in the public domain to be provided to content providers for no-charge or a 'low' fee.      NFR just preserves the film but doesn't limit the rights of the owner of said film.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

One Widmark film that TCM shows regularly is also one of his top 3 or 4:  Time Limit (1957), with Richard Basehart, June Lockhart and Martin Balsam.  Widmark plays an Army lawyer who defends a Korean War veteran (Basehart) in a court-martial proceeding, in which Basehart just wants to plead guilty and leave it at that.  Widmark knows better.  It's one of his best roles.

I've always savored the irony that the arch-psycho stereotype of Widmark was so completely at odds with what he was in real life:  A fighter for liberal causes and married to the same woman until her death did them part in 1997.  Turns out that Tommy Udo was in fact the perfect mensch.

P.S. This was also the only film that Karl Malden ever directed.  On the basis of this movie, he should have done more.

Andy, you could have said the same thing about Robert Ryan. Although he seemed to have more cold hearted villainous roles, than Widmark had later on. The two that were really tough for me to watch were "Crossfire" and "Clash by Night". 

11 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Yeah, yeah, The Cobweb. Didn't think about that one. That's an MGM release, I think, without actually looking it up. I actually don't mind watching that one. I have a soft spot for really overwrought melodramas.

9 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I share your frustration. I don't know that we can see the endgame yet, but the streaming market is becoming increasingly fragmented, as everyone wants to launch their own service featuring the material they already hold the rights to. Disney has yanked all its stuff off of Netflix to use on their own service. I think the AT&T/Warner Media Group has removed most of its stuff from Amazon Prime, as they're supposedly about to launch their own streaming service. I personally can't pay ten different streaming services $15/month to continue to have access to movies I used to be able to find on just two or three services. I don't know yet if there will be enough consumer backlash against this trend that it might reverse to some extent. I hope so.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I personally can't pay ten different streaming services $15/month to continue to have access to movies I used to be able to find on just two or three services.

Some people jump from one service to another, but what a pain. I only use cable. If I can't watch something on TCM, because they can't/won't pay for it, that bothers me. Some TV shows must be dirt cheap. I love M*A*S*H, but it is everywhere. I suspect some of these "retro" channels have limited budgets, and it shows. The quality of advertising reflects limited viewers/ratings.

I can't afford more than my current cable package. Things could improve if some of these new sevices struggle to make it.