Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1999

1999 started with Vince Vaughn starting over in A Cool,Dry Place

ACoolDryPlacePoster.jpg

This was followed by Simply Irresistible, a youth oriented comedy.

Simply_irresistible.jpg

Office Space became a popular cult film for disenchanted workers.

Office_space_poster.jpg

20 Dates was a faux documentary of a man's attempts to land a girlfriend and a movie career.

20_Dates_DVD_cover.jpg

Wing Commander was a quickly produced sci-fi film met with savage reviews.

Wing_commander_post.jpg

Ravenous meanwhile was a western horror film involving cannibals.

Ravenous_ver1.jpg

Drew Barrymore was at her most charming in the lovely Never Been Kissed, which glowed with good-hearted humor.

Never_Been_Kissed_film_poster.jpg

John Cusack, Billy Bob Thornton, Angelina Jolie, and Cate Blanchett formed a romantic square in the comedy-drama Pushing Tin.

Pushingtinposter.jpg

Among Giants told of a stormy romance between Pete Posteltwate and Rachel Griffiths.

Among_giants.jpg

A Midsummer Night's Dream took the Shakespeare play to the 1800s. Michelle Pfeiffer was Titania, Rubert Everett was Oberon, Kevin Kline was Bottom, Stanley Tucci Puck.

A_Midsummer_Night's_Dream_Poster.jpg

Seran Connery and Catherine Zeta-Jones made an unlikely couple in the heist film Entrapment.

Entrapment_film.jpg

Star Wars Episode I was the biggest box office hit of 1999 and opened to waves of press, but many were hostile to it.

Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg

Bridget Fonda, Brendan Gleeson, Bill Pullman, Oliver Platt, and Meredith Salinger were trying to outwit a killer crocodile in the horror comedy Lake Placid, while foul-mouthed Betty White was trying to feed it.

Lake_placid_ver2.jpg

Brokedown Palace was to women and Thailand what Midnight Express was to men and Turkey.

Brokedown_Palace.jpg

WhiteBoyz was a hip-hop spoof

MV5BMTY3MTU4ODE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg3

Best Laid Plans was a neo-noir that costarred Reese Witherspoon and Josh Brolin.

Best_Laid_Plans.jpg

Sex, Shame, and Tears was a super provocative film from Mexico.

MV5BMTk0MDk4NDkwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDYw

Drive Me Crazy was a teen romance.

Drive_me_crazy_poster.jpg

Hillary Swank won an Oscar for the unflinching Boys Don't Cry, the story of an actual murder case.

Boys_Don't_Cry_(1999).png

Fight Club has become entrenched as some sort of  modern classic, but at the time of its release, the box office wasn't that great and the reviews were mixed.

Fight_Club_poster.jpg

Dreaming of Joseph Lees was a British romance with Rupert Graves and Samantha Morton.

MV5BMTQ5ODE4NDkxMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODYz

Light It Up was a teen hostage thriller

Light_it_up_poster.jpg

Susan Sarandaon was a super flaky mother and Natalie Portman her frustrated, but more sensible daughter in the episodic but fascinating Anywhere but Here. Both ladies excelled.

Anywhere-but-here-movie-poster-1999-1020

As 1999 closed, Fox turned to an old favroite for a new film. Jodie Foster and Chun Yow Fat appeared in a sumber but sumptuous Anna and the King.

Anna_and_the_king.jpg

And the last Fox backed release of 1999 was Titus with Anthony Hopkins and Jessica Lange in Shakespeare's most ruthless play.

Titus_ver1.jpg

• Like 2

Julie Taymor directed TITUS. It's uneven in spots but visually arresting. 

ANYWHERE BUT HERE featured a good title song by k.d. lang.

I loathed FIGHT CLUB, which I saw in a theater. I should have asked for a refund. Way too violent. Sickening.

I've never seen BOYS DON'T CRY. Sometimes I deliberately stay away from "trendy" films like that.

ANNA AND THE KING was an excellent remake. This was before Foster came out as lesbian, so they could still market her in these romantic heterosexual roles.

LAKE PLACID is a fun romp. Betty White was certainly trying to shed her Rose Nylund image (from TV's Golden Girls sitcom).

I enjoyed NEVER BEEN KISSED very much. And I also liked ENTRAPMENT a lot, though Connery was clearly too old to be playing a love interest for Catherine Zeta-Jones.

• Thanks 1

My top picks:

1. Fight Club
  2. Ravenous
  3. Boys Don't Cry

I've also seen A Cool Dry PlaceSimply IrresistibleOffice SpaceWing CommanderPushing TinA Midsummer Night's DreamEntrapmentStar Wars: The Phantom MenaceLake PlacidBrokedown PalaceBest Laid PlansLight It UpAnywhere But Here, and Anna and the King.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings