• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Future guest programmers

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, spence said:

woody allen

Yes, he'd have some good picks.   I assume that TCM won't ask him with the controversy around his personal life.   I like when they have filmmakers for Guest Programmers.  You can see the influence of their picks on films they have made.  I'd like to see some British actors or filmmakers as G.P.  I think they might pick interesting/different films.

It seems like I used to tune in for Guest Programmers more regularly but I can't remember the last time I watched one.  This is partly due to no longer having a Now Playing monthly guide sitting on my coffee table.  I know it's online but it's not the same.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Yes, he'd have some good picks.   I assume that TCM won't ask him with the controversy around his personal life.   I like when they have filmmakers for Guest Programmers.  You can see the influence of their picks on films they have made.  I'd like to see some British actors or filmmakers as G.P.  I think they might pick interesting/different films.

It seems like I used to tune in for Guest Programmers more regularly but I can't remember the last time I watched one.  This is partly due to no longer having a Now Playing monthly guide sitting on my coffee table.  I know it's online but it's not the same.  

so like myself, you saved past NP Guide's? I actually have hefty bags full of the original one's saved.  Do you like the newer format as much?  as I started to write yesterday, but had to stop for now NATALIE WOOD is I the sept issue

1 hour ago, spence said:

so like myself, you saved past NP Guide's? I actually have hefty bags full of the original one's saved.  Do you like the newer format as much?  as I started to write yesterday, but had to stop for now NATALIE WOOD is I the sept issue

No, I recycled my Now Playing guides.  (Maybe I should have saved them!)  I don't find the new format as helpful or user friendly.  I also just don't find myself consulting it very often unless I'm looking for something specific.  I use the guide on my tv to see what's coming up and then record anything interesting.   I wonder if not having a N.P. guide in hand affects how often some people tune in?  

On 6/20/2019 at 9:44 PM, Peebs said:

What future guest programmers would you like to see on TCM?

I would prefer to see Ralph Bakshi on TCM since he is one of the most influential animators in American history as an auteur.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BLACHEFAN said:

I would prefer to see Ralph Bakshi on TCM since he is one of the most influential animators in American history as an auteur.

Yes, that's a good suggestion.  I wonder what movies he would pick.  

• 4 months later...

Mel Brooks.  I think it would actually be just so cool if he actually chose his own movies for his picks.

He could have different movies for his picks too.  You never know.

He could also promote his Young Frankenstein book.  A Mel Brooks Book Young Frankenstein The Story Of The Making Of The Film.

Which I am reading right now and I’m really loving it.  It is just so neat and so cool and he’s a really great and really funny guy.

I really love him a whole lot.

Tim Allen

and since it’s Sesame Street’s 50th Anniversary?  The whole cast of Sesame Street.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 8:37 PM, David Guercio said:

Mel Brooks.  I think it would actually be just so cool if he actually chose his own movies for his pick

It seems like Mel Brooks would have been on but I can't seem to find anything indicating that he has.  It seems like an obvious choice. (I think he did something with the TCM Film Fest.)   I'd be curious to see which movies he was influenced by or liked growing up.  Tim Allen could be a good one, too.  Who knows?  I honestly can't remember the last time I was really interested in who the guest programmer was.  

• 6 months later...

I agree with those that said THE WOODMAN-WOODY ALLEN (l935-)

For the record his fav flix are mostly Bob Hope vehicles

& also cites City Lights, Duck Soup,  Kane & Sierra Madre

• Like 1
On 3/31/2020 at 11:16 AM, Peebs said:

It seems like Mel Brooks would have been on but I can't seem to find anything indicating that he has.  It seems like an obvious choice. (I think he did something with the TCM Film Fest.)   I'd be curious to see which movies he was influenced by or liked growing up.  Tim Allen could be a good one, too.  Who knows?  I honestly can't remember the last time I was really interested in who the guest programmer was.  

Don't know exact page, it shows all GP's & somebody once directed me to it 7 I put it in my files

Pretty certain Brooks was

Albert Brooks would be yet another good choice

• Like 1

Some filmmakers favs-(above is already Woody Allen)>

Steven Spielberg

Pinocchio, It's a Wonderful Life, Kane & A Guy Named Joe

Martin Scorsese-(would be an exceptional GP)>

The Searchers, Vertigo, Duel in the Sun, The Heiress, The Red Shoes, Kane, *On the Waterfront, The Leopard, 40 Guns, Abbott & Costello Go to Mars-(for real)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spence said:

Don't know exact page, it shows all GP's & somebody once directed me to it 7 I put it in my files

Pretty certain Brooks was

Albert Brooks would be yet another good choice

From remembering my files Mel was about 98% a GP already

Just now, spence said:

thanks

No problem! I just did a search for "Mel Brooks" and nothing popped up.  He must not have been a guest programmer but on as an interview or spotlighting his own movies.  I agree that Albert Brooks would be another good choice.

8 minutes ago, Peebs said:

No problem! I just did a search for "Mel Brooks" and nothing popped up.  He must not have been a guest programmer but on as an interview or spotlighting his own movies.  I agree that Albert Brooks would be another good choice.

albert brooks ranks among the few guys today that can make me laugh  ever see broadcast news or lost in america

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, spence said:

albert brooks ranks among the few guys today that can make me laugh  ever see broadcast news or lost in america

Albert Brooks is very funny.  Have you ever seen "Mother" where Debbie Reynolds plays his mom?  It's got some very funny scenes.

I'm afraid that I'm not a big fan of Don Rickles, though.