Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Future guest programmers

Peebs

1 hour ago, David Guercio said:

Yes I am.  There was also a show called Now Playing The Show.  It was on every month and you were also able to watch what you read about in the guide every month.  It was great.  Let me know what you think when you find my post.  It’s on the General Discussion board and I think the last guest programmer was Robert Redford and that guy.  If I remember right?  Let’s keep our fingers crossed and see if they bring it back.  I hope so.  How about you?

Okay, I do remember in between movies they'd have a run down of what was in the Now Playing Guide that month.

Yes, I saw that one with Redford and I think it was the director of The Old Man & the Gun (2018).  IMDB says that was back in October 2018.    The last "Guest Programmer" that IMDB lists is Sterling K Brown in November 2019.  That matches what is listed here on the message boards: Guest Programmers and their Films - Guest Programmer - TCM Message Boards

I agree, I'd like to see Guest Programmers again, even just occasionally.  One personal caveat I'd like to see imposed would be banning some obvious choices like Casablanca, Citizen Kane,...  Important movies but those are just lazy or obvious choices, I think.

David, what movies would you choose if you were a Guest Programmer?

I’m so glad you asked.  Thank you so much.  If I were a guest programmer?  My movie picks would be

The Incredible Mr Limpet 1964.

The Wizard Of Oz 1939.

Harvy 1950.

Treasure Island 1990.  A TCM Premire.

And Secrets Of The Incas 1954.  A TCM Premire.

How’s that sound?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

I’m so glad you asked.  Thank you so much.  If I were a guest programmer?  My movie picks would be

The Incredible Mr Limpet 1964.

The Wizard Of Oz 1939.

Harvy 1950.

Treasure Island 1990.  A TCM Premire.

And Secrets Of The Incas 1954.  A TCM Premire.

How’s that sound?

Sounds good, David.  I don't think I've seen the last two;  you must be a Charlton Heston fan.   I've heard that Secret of the Incas was supposedly the inspiration for the Indiana Jones movies.  Looks like a fun movie!

Double-brim adventure hats | Charlton, Indiana jones, Movie stars

It sure is the inspiration for the Indiana Jones franchise.  That’s why I’m hoping they show it here on TCM sometime and that’s why I’d pick it and it sure does look like a great movie.  Doesn’t it and yes I am a Charlton Heston fan.  I just really loved him a whole lot.  He was such a really wonderful and really amazing actor.  Wasn’t he and I think he’d be a great Long John Silver in Treasure Island from 1990 and have you ever herd of a movie he did called The Little Kidnappers?  Where these kids find a baby and he’s the bad guy who’s after the baby.  I also really love many other stars and classic movie stars too and I just remembered.  The Adventures Of Robin Hood would actually be my first pick on the list.  The Incredible Mr Limpet’s a great movie and Don Knotts was a really great and really funny guy too.  Wasn’t he?  But I think I’d pick that one next time.  So let me type this over again.

The Adventurers Of Robin Hood 1938.

The Wizard Of Oz 1939.

Harvy 1950.

Treasure Island 1990.  A TCM Premire and

Secrets Of The Incas 1954.  A TCM Premire.

How’s that sound?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

It sure is the inspiration for the Indiana Jones franchise.  That’s why I’m hoping they show it here on TCM sometime and that’s why I’d pick it and it sure does look like a great movie.  Doesn’t it and yes I am a Charlton Heston fan.  I just really loved him a whole lot.  He was such a really wonderful and really amazing actor.  Wasn’t he and I think he’d be a great Long John Silver in Treasure Island from 1990 and have you ever herd of a movie he did called The Little Kidnappers?  Where these kids find a baby and he’s the bad guy who’s after the baby.  I also really love many other stars and classic movie stars too and I just remembered.  The Adventures Of Robin Hood would actually be my first pick on the list.  The Incredible Mr Limpet’s a great movie and Don Knotts was a really great and really funny guy too.  Wasn’t he?  But I think I’d pick that one next time.  So let me type this over again.

The Adventurers Of Robin Hood 1938.

The Wizard Of Oz 1939.

Harvey 1950.

Treasure Island 1990.  A TCM Premier and

Secrets Of The Incas 1954.  A TCM Premier.

How’s that sound?

Sounds good.  Yes, I'm especially curious to see Secrets of the Incas.  Good suggestion!  

I haven't seen The Little Kidnappers.   Looking it up, I see that it's a TV movie Heston did from 1990.  Have you ever seen The Private War of Major Benson (1955) starring Charlton Heston, Julie Adams and Sal Mineo?   IMDB description:  "As a disciplinary measure, the Army transfers a heavy-handed Major to a ROTC academy where he must shape-up cadets and improve the school's overall ratings."   I remember liking it as a kid but haven't seen it since.  It's probably a little silly but fun to see Heston in a comedic role.  Do you like Touch of Evil

I think the only Charlton Heston movies I’ve seen so far are

The Ten Commandments.

Ben Hur.

Planet Of The Apes

and Disney’s Hercules.  He was the narrator.  Remember?  He might have been the voice of Zues too.  But I’m not sure.  When he was part of SUTS a few years ago.  I actually missed him.  Because I had tivoed Mickey Rooney’s whole lineup and was watching Mickey Rooney when he was on.  Who was also another really wonderful actor too.  Wasn’t he?  So I would love for them to have Charlton Heston as SOTM or as part of SUTS again or both.  So I can see all his movies.  Including Secrets Of The Incas.  Since that movie actually inspired Steven Spielberg and George Lucas to make Raiders Of The Lost Ark and the whole Indiana Jones franchise.  That’s so cool.  Isn’t it?  I have seen some others that also inspired them to make the franchise.

3 Godfathers and

GUNA DIN with Cary Grant.  Here on TCM.  Also great movies ha and I would also really love to see him in The Little Kidnappers I told you about.  I also saw The Ten Commandments and Planet Of The Apes on the big screen when they were part of TCM’s Big Screen Classics Series.  They were both a really amazing experience and really fantastic.  I just really loved both on the big screen.  A whole lot.  I’d also really love to see Danny Kaye as SOTM sometime too.  I want him so bad.  I just really love him a whole lot too.  He was also really wonderful too.  Wasn’t he?  Now of course Treasure Island from 1990 was a made for TV movie.  But did Charlton Heston also do made for TV movies and TV?  I’m sure he was on Johnny Carson right?

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 2:43 PM, David Guercio said:

But did Charlton Heston also do made for TV movies and TV?  I’m sure he was on Johnny Carson right?

Yep, Heston was on Johnny Carson.  You can google it to see some of the old clips. 

I saw your posting on General Comments suggesting TCM Drive-In movies.  That would be a fun idea for a summer month theme.  I think Planet of the Apes could be a drive-in movie.  Have you ever been to a real drive-in?  We don't have any near where I live now but they do show movies outdoor where people can sit on the lawn or bring chairs.   I remember going to drive-in movies as a kid.  There was an A&W carhop restaurant nearby, too.  

David, what movies would you pick for TCM's drive-in movie theme?  

That’s another really great question Peebs.  Thank you so much for asking and it’s just so cool that you actually mentioned it being a summer theme.  Because a few years ago.  I actually came up with the idea for the TCM Drive In theme for Essentials Jr and posted it on the Essentials Jr board.  I came up with the title.  Ideas for hosts.  Including Saturday Night Live’s Bill Hader again and I think John Lithgow again too.  The lineup of movies.  The whole thing.  So maybe you could do me a favor.  Why don’t you head on over to the Essentials Jr board.  Read all about my request and if you like?  Please reply and I would love everyone to please reply too.  Because I love Essentials Jr every summer and would love to see it back.

2 hours ago, David Guercio said:

That’s another really great question Peebs.  Thank you so much for asking and it’s just so cool that you actually mentioned it being a summer theme.  Because a few years ago.  I actually came up with the idea for the TCM Drive In theme for Essentials Jr and posted it on the Essentials Jr board.  I came up with the title.  Ideas for hosts.  Including Saturday Night Live’s Bill Hader again and I think John Lithgow again too.  The lineup of movies.  The whole thing.  So maybe you could do me a favor.  Why don’t you head on over to the Essentials Jr board.  Read all about my request and if you like?  Please reply and I would love everyone to please reply too.  Because I love Essentials Jr every summer and would love to see it back.

OK, I see it.  It looks like you're going for family friendly movies with the Drive-In theme.   Sort of combining it  with Essentials, Jr. ?  Interesting.  I guess I was thinking  movies geared to adults or older teens.  Here's your link for anyone else:  The TCM Drive In Summer 2020 - Essentials Jr. - TCM Message Boards

I think TCM did At Home with the Kids last year with family friendly movies.  Maybe they'll do something similar this summer. 

Cool.  Every Holiday Season at Holiday time and Christmas time.  Do you ever watch Free Form’s Kickoff To Christmas and 25 Days Of Christmas on Free Form?  He’s the host as Free Form Santa and he does a really wonderful and really amazing job too.  His set is great.  His house for the event is great.  The caroler’s who sing the jingle and who are with him throughout the event are great.  He’s really fantastic and the caroler’s are really fantastic and Free Form’s Kickoff To Christmas and 25 Days Of Christmas are both really fantastic.  He’s hosted both events for about three years now and I think he would be a great guest programmer here on TCM.  That’s why I requested him and if he returns to host Free Form’s Kickoff To Christmas and 25 Days Of Christmas again this year?  That will be just so cool.  He’s also on this Podcast called The Pack.  I haven’t herd him yet.  But I listen to it.  It’s great.  I haven’t gotten to him yet is what I’m saying.  I think it’s actually one of the longest running Broadway shows on Broadway in New York and they decided to bring it to everybody and do a Podcast direct from their homes to raise money during the pandemic.  Which is really nice.  Isn’t it?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings