Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

qgar gappened, ust wrote a complaint pc on ragtime and it vanished already

spence

as I just now under 5 minutes ago posted a question why the network rarely broadcasts  1981 costume epic ragtime on turner classic movies, though not a bp contender, came close and only made 8m the then 82tr old james cagney made all the right moves, again and deserved a 4th nomination  as did randy newman's majestic scoring, which was nommed but lost   please consider   snd for you true moviebuffs and Oscar historians, yu decide the official best film nominees for '81 were   chariots of fire-swept 4,  atlantic city my fav.  on golden pond,  raiders of the lost ark\\upi you vote

...Y'know, some days, you just wake up and ask "Qgar gappened??  😖 "

11 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I thought the adaptation from the novel to the movie teetered between "fair" and "tepid".  HOWARD ROLLINS and CAGNEY being the only ones not miscast(IMHO).

The book was considered "unfilmable", with Doctorow's non-linear story, and Milos Forman, after Cuckoo's Nest, was seen as the only go-to director who could translate "impossible" story projects like "Hair" and "Amadeus".  Unfortunately getting Forman also meant getting Elizabeth McGovern as the female lead, so there's always that trade-off.

(And yes, most of the publicity was over Cagney's five-minute return from retirement, and if, like Marlon Brando in "Superman", there was more of him in the movie that was cut out, I welcome any deleted scenes.)

Nowadays, it's just remembered as part of 1981's Most Depressing Christmas Ever, with "Reds", "Ghost Story", "Whose Life Is It, Anyway?" and "Pennies From Heaven".

1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

screw a cruddy five minutes for cagney.

he deserved the whole picture built around him.

Instead of the "Terrible Joe Moran" (1984) TV-movie he got afterwards, after TV-movie producers found out he was still alive:

(Although probably not having to walk as much, and sit out his "Ragtime" role might have had something to do with it.  Also, Rich Little was reportedly needed to fill in a little of the post-dubbing, as he did when Gene Kelly's voice was starting to give out on a few TV specials.)

16 hours ago, EricJ said:

...Y'know, some days, you just wake up and ask "Qgar gappened??  😖 "

The book was considered "unfilmable", with Doctorow's non-linear story, and Milos Forman, after Cuckoo's Nest, was seen as the only go-to director who could translate "impossible" story projects like "Hair" and "Amadeus".  Unfortunately getting Forman also meant getting Elizabeth McGovern as the female lead, so there's always that trade-off.

(And yes, most of the publicity was over Cagney's five-minute return from retirement, and if, like Marlon Brando in "Superman", there was more of him in the movie that was cut out, I welcome any deleted scenes.)

Nowadays, it's just remembered as part of 1981's Most Depressing Christmas Ever, with "Reds", "Ghost Story", "Whose Life Is It, Anyway?" and "Pennies From Heaven".

I'm not sure what's meant by "non-linear", possibly too many separate stories taking place at once perhaps, and much of it requiring an "X" rating if filmed  as written.  ;)  And really, as I recall, there WAS no female "lead",   in the book anyway, as several female characters played several major roles in the story. While in the middle of reading it, I thought, "This'll make one HELL of a movie!"  But sadly, IMHO, the movie made from it fell short of the mark.  :( 

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings