Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

,more ww11 tcm and hollywod couldn't find exact link

spence

as I noted on above heading, I searched all over and maybe this highly important topic wasn't even a topic/post to begin with  just keep seeing the adds on the network though   mpyr yp all out there please straighten this out

anyhow, below I compile my own top ten all-time/favorite ww11 motion pictures and as usual join-in please with yours   again all such things are subjective   *-always will undicate an Academy (AMPAS) award winner as well)

what do you think                                WWII & HOLLYWOOD???

my 1st choice   saving pvt. ryan  l998 Spielberg  also my ranking as 2nd overall all-time war film too

2nd  *from here to eternity 1953  zinnemann  Columbia pictures

3rd  the great escape  1963

4th the longest day  1962  contained 3 directors

5th place  the bridge on the river kwai  1957  lean  columbia

6th place and fav of mine  *Patton  1970 Franklin J. Schaffner, though also a bio

7th place  shoah  1985 French a 9 hr documentary on the holocaust

8th pick  battleground  1949  M-G-M  wild bill wellmann-  trivia  he rated his own '45 story of g.i. joe better

9th  they were expendable  1945 mgm  john ford

10th place for cinema and ww2   das boot   1982 germany  wolfgang peterson

also-rans, but very close behind

tv's and hbo's spectacular mini-series  band of brothers  2000 and the pacific 2010

and soooo many more

just about forgot I did not include the 6 time Oscar sweeping mrs, miniver mgm  because my theory is there should be really battle sequences in said movie.  another almost made my cut 1949's superb 12 0'clock high  fox  yo qoute leonard maltin reviewing this one he states peck is never better  unquote

and finest post ww2 motion pictures, of course the utterly magnificent 1946 7 time academy award sweeping  the best years of our lives  Goldwyn/ua

and though set just prior to the end of  the war  1944's Americana  since you went away  selznick

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings