Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 2000

2000 started with Leonardo DiCaprio and Tilda Swinton in the moody The Beach. Fox had big expectations for this that were not fulfilled.

MV5BMTQ2MjcxNjEwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjI5

The Closer You Get was the raunchy tale of Irish men longing for women. So they put in a classifed for American women to visit. It didn't go well.....

MV5BMTU5NjcxNjcxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzYz

Soft Fruit was an Australian import involving several siblings who were trying to fulfill the dying wishes of their ailing mother.

Soft_Fruit_FilmPoster.jpeg

Here on Earth was a teenage romantic weepie.

Hereonearth.jpg

Where the Heart Is was one of those films that bit off more than it could chew: teen pregnancy, alcoholism, child abuse, kidnapping, tornadoes, train accidents, loss of limbs, ruthless agents, turncoat mothers.... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Natalie Portman, James Frain, Ashley Judd, Stockard Channing, Joan Cusack, and Sally Field starred. Channing and Judd seemed to be the ones best suited to the material.

Where_the_heart_is_poster.jpg

Martin Lawrence donned a dress for Big Momma's House which spawned two sequels.

Big_mommas_house_movie.jpg

Titan AE was a post-apocalyptic animated featured aimed at teens, and with the vocal cast including Matt Damon, Drew Barrymore, Bill Pullman, Nathan Lane, and Jeanane Garofalo. The teens didn't want to see an animated film, so this quickly died, and took Fox's own animation studio with it. This is the last film to date to be shown in CinemaScope.

Titan_AE_One_Sheet.jpg

Jim Carrey was a split personality of shocking extremes in Me, Myself, and Irene. Renee Zellweger, Chris Cooper, Robert Forster, and Richard Jenkins were along for the ride.

Me,_Myself_and_Irene_Posters.jpg

So X-Men arrived on July 14 of 2000 and started this superhero film climate that is still so prevalent today.

X-MenfilmPoster.jpg

Michelle Pfeiffer was about to find some unsavory things about husband Harrison Ford in the supernaturally themed thriller What Lies Beneath, also with Diana Scarwid. Fox released this overseas, DreamWorks handled the US.

What_lies_beneath.jpg

Sunset Strip was a saga of young lives suddenly changing circa 1972.

Sunset_Strip.jpg

Woman on Top with Penelope Cruz was a comedy that started brightly, but the longer went on, it cracked under its weight.

Woman_on_top_ver3.jpg

Digimon was an animated spinoff from a TV series for children.

Digimonthemovie.jpg

Bootmen was an Australian comedy, yet another to try to capture the underdog feel of The Full Monty.

Bootmen_poster.jpg

Colin Farrell headed to Hollywood for Tigerland, a film set in a training camp at the time of the Vietnam conflict.

Tigerlandmp.jpg

The newest remake coming to the fore was Bedazzled. In place of Dudley Moore and Peter Cook, it was Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley.

MV5BNDgzMTE0NzE5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODA4

Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert De Niro was the true story of a trailblazer in the Navy.

Men_of_honor_ver1.jpg

Robert Redford returned to directing with The legend of Bagger Vance, which Fox did international work on (DreamWorks handled US). The mystical golfing saga starred Will Smith, Matt Damon, and Charlize Theron, and was the final film for Jack Lemmon.

Legend_of_bagger_vance_ver2.jpg

Things took a turn for the provocative with Quills, a saga of the Marquis De Sade. Geoffrey Rush, Kate Winslet, Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Caine, and Billie Whitelaw starred.

Quills_poster.JPG

Dude, Where's My Car was aimed at the stoner trade.

MV5BMTg4MTAzNzMyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQ0

And capping the year was another team up with DreamWorks, this time with Fox taking the domestic release: Cast Away, a survivalist drama with Tom Hanks in a much praised performance. Helen Hunt was also featured.

Cast_away_film_poster.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, CinemaInternational said:

The newest remake coming to the fore was Bedazzled. In place of Dudley Moore and Peter Cook, it was Brendan Fraser and Elizabeth Hurley.

MV5BNDgzMTE0NzE5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODA4

It wasn't as good or funny as the original, but better than I expected. Brendan Fraser was very funny, some of the comic twists were clever, Hurley was not too bad.

38 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It wasn't as good or funny as the original, but better than I expected. Brendan Fraser was very funny, some of the comic twists were clever, Hurley was not too bad.

I just scored a free copy at the local recycling center and can't wait to see it again. Brendan Fraser was such a talent. He could do dramatic and action leads, but excelled at nerdy doofuses as well. 

My top picks:

1. The Beach
  2. X-Men
  3. Quills

I've also seen Here on EarthWhere the Heart IsTitan A.E.Me Myself & IreneWhat Lies BeneathWoman on TopTigerland, BedazzledMen of HonorThe Legend of Bagger Vance,and Cast Away.

• Thanks 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings